The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

Believing that a song from 1944 uses that line to suggest the male slipped a date rape drug in the female's drink is to believe that the male is also a cannibal because of the lyrics "Gee, your lips look delicious."

And for the record, quite possibly the best recording of this song is from Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone.

Every Leon Redbone song is good.

Students rip down Shakespeare portrait at UPENN...

Chicago’s Famed Second City Comedy Theatre Issues Strict New ‘Safe Space’ Rules

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/chicagos-second-city-comedy-school-now-warns-audiences-that-it-is-entering-a-safe-space/

Edited by B-Man

Believing that a song from 1944 uses that line to suggest the male slipped a date rape drug in the female's drink is to believe that the male is also a cannibal because of the lyrics "Gee, your lips look delicious."

And for the record, quite possibly the best recording of this song is from Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone.

My favorite version of the song as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-4aOi3AzQ

Chicago’s Famed Second City Comedy Theatre Issues Strict New ‘Safe Space’ Rules

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/chicagos-second-city-comedy-school-now-warns-audiences-that-it-is-entering-a-safe-space/

What's crazy is more and more comedians are refusing to play college campuses because of things like that.

Gotta love revisionism.

It will be so nice to have someone in the White House who actually celebrates Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvGujnwj5gc

Western Journalism reported:

President Barack Obama and his family sent their final White House “Christmas” card to friends, supporters and members of the media last Friday, but as was noted by many, the card contained no references whatsoever to Christmas itself.

Instead it featured a picture of the the Obamas dressed up on the front and a “Happy Holidays” message on the back.

“As our family reflects on many happy years spent in the White House, we are grateful for the friends we’ve made, the joy we’ve shared, and the gifts of kindness we’ve received,” the backside of the card read. “We wish you and your loved ones a joyous holiday season and a wonderful new year.”

Here’s this year’s card, as posted on Today.com. No Christmas tree. No nativity scene. No Christ child. No Merry Christmas. Just a politically correct “joyous holiday season.”

2016-12-10T13-13-14-333Z-1280x720.today-

And perhaps, with the Obamas leaving the chief bully pulpit, leftist feminists felt the need to hijack a timeless children’s Christmas story, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical.” According to these radical feminists, women aren’t getting a fair shake in this story, so they changed it.

The New York Times once again errs on the side of the left and inclusion.

According to “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical,” there’s something even more unheard-of than letting a funny-looking buck play in any reindeer games: allowing a doe to join in.

And the NYT critic make it more political by saying this classic story denies half the population an opportunity at greatness.

… The story’s themes — that bullying is cruel, and that those who are born different can make vital contributions — certainly remain timeless lessons for children. But you can’t help being disappointed that this show championing equality still denies it to half the population.

AR-312089986.jpgexactH300Q80exactFitcrop

You conveniently left out the text of the homemade poster which stated "For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a savior, which is Christ the Lord"

Sorry, but public schools are no place for verses from the Bible, the Quran, the Gita or any other religious text, regardless of what pop culture cartoon you glue to it.

It will be so nice to have someone in the White House who actually celebrates Christmas.the way I want it to be celebrated

Fixed that for you

As our family reflects on many happy years spent in the White House, we are grateful for the friends weve made, the joy weve shared, and the gifts of kindness weve received, the backside of the card read. We wish you and your loved ones a joyous holiday season and a wonderful new year.

Heres this years card, as posted on Today.com. No Christmas tree. No nativity scene. No Christ child. No Merry Christmas. Just a politically correct joyous holiday season.

2016-12-10T13-13-14-333Z-1280x720.today-

I beg your pardon.

This is obviously a Christmas card. There's a picture of the Savior right there.

Edited by Joe Miner

You conveniently left out the text of the homemade poster which stated "For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a savior, which is Christ the Lord"

Sorry, but public schools are no place for verses from the Bible, the Quran, the Gita or any other religious text, regardless of what pop culture cartoon you glue to it.

Counterpoint: unless you're studying religion in social studies.

The week we spent covering the major religions was probably the most useful week of education I had in 7th grade.

Fixed that for you

LOL.............thanks for the holiday hilarity ............ :lol:

I think that I will refer to you as "Beamon".......instead of "Simon"................much more fitting for those incredible leaps of yours

I posted a link to a story................nothing was "left out"...............

but if you wish to play that game............YOU left out the Texas attorney general's response that demonstrates why the poster could be hung..........you weren't trying to be deceptive....were you Beamon ??

and as to your second reply........the ever popular "fixed it for you".................the less said about your "leap' there the better.. :D

I beg your pardon.

This is obviously a Christmas card. There's a picture of the Savior right there.

I stand corrected.............

Counterpoint: unless you're studying religion in social studies.

Yeah, that's certainly a given as the difference between education and indoctrination

LOL.............thanks for the holiday hilarity ............ :lol:

And thank you as well for yours.

There's few things more amusing than spoiled American Christians crying about persecution. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's certainly a given as the difference between education and indoctrination

Linus is indoctrinating people now? Is he doing that by brute force?

Charlie Brown Christmas is a STORY about the meaning of a holiday. At no point does Linus, much less the school district, tell anyone to convert to Christianity.

I would guess that most, if not almost all, videos shown in school, could be construed to have religious content in there somewhere. Linus' little speech might be more obvious than most, but who draws the line and where?

Should broadcast networks have been banned from showing this and other religious shows because the FCC was in control of the airwaves?

Linus is indoctrinating people now? Is he doing that by brute force?

Charlie Brown Christmas is a STORY about the meaning of a holiday. At no point does Linus, much less the school district, tell anyone to convert to Christianity.

I would guess that most, if not almost all, videos shown in school, could be construed to have religious content in there somewhere. Linus' little speech might be more obvious than most, but who draws the line and where?

Should broadcast networks have been banned from showing this and other religious shows because the FCC was in control of the airwaves?

Sometimes it's hard to tell when you're trying to be serious, which I suppose is a credit to you.

This response strikes me as ridiculous enough to assume that you're in character.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when you're trying to be serious, which I suppose is a credit to you.

This response strikes me as ridiculous enough to assume that you're in character.

Name a commercially available video shown to kids in school. Make it something known. It could be a movie shown to 12th graders or Kinny gardeners. The only Caveat I'll put on it is it can't be a straight educational thing that wasn't shown on TV or in theaters and it can't be March of the Penguins. The last provision is only in there to protect Tom. I could probably find something religious in that.

Edit: My other point is kind of separate. If a school is seen as a government institution and the Federal government is clearly seen as a government institution how is the school allowing a class to view Charlie Brown Christmas different than the FCC allowing CBS to air lo those many years? It is still highly offensive religious content making use of government resources to indoctrinate unwitting victims.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Name a commercially available video shown to kids in school. Make it something known. It could be a movie shown to 12th graders or Kinny gardeners. The only Caveat I'll put on it is it can't be a straight educational thing that wasn't shown on TV or in theaters and it can't be March of the Penguins. The last provision is only in there to protect Tom. I could probably find something religious in that.

!@#$ing March of the Mother!@#$ing Penguins. !@#$ that movie.

Do I get a safe space from that movie? Do I get to pet a puppy or mold Play-Do after watching that dreck? Do I demand that Morgan Freeman be ostracized for narrating it? !@#$ NO! I sit there, watch that !@#$ing piece of **** movie, and I take it like a MAN!

Do I get a safe space from that movie? Do I get to pet a puppy or mold Play-Do after watching that dreck? Do I demand that Morgan Freeman be ostracized for narrating it? !@#$ NO! I sit there, watch that !@#$ing piece of **** movie, and I take it like a MAN!

Like Marsellus Wallace?

Forget Christmas Parties, now even the term 'Holiday Parties' may be too "extreme"

From the good folks at Texas Woman’s University

An advisory for the school titled “Tips to plan an all-inclusive, multicultural holiday party at the office” reads like some sort of parody, but it's real. In it, Mark Kessler, professor of multicultural women’s and gender studies at Texas Woman’s University provides ways to make a party more 'inclusive'.

However, not all faith traditions have holidays in December, and not everyone identifies with a particular faith tradition. With this in mind, professor Kessler offers two approaches for those who want to make all employees feel included during their end of year festivities.

Approach No. 1: Some organizations may choose to avoid potential missteps by planning a party that is unaffiliated with any faith tradition. For a secular celebration at the office, the following approach is recommended:

• Consider naming the party, if it is scheduled for December, without using the word "holiday." “Holiday” connotes religious tradition and may not apply to all employees. For educational institutions, a December gathering may instead be called an “end of semester” party. For a business office, an “end of (fiscal) year” party may be more appropriate.
  • Try to assemble and include a diverse group of employees in the planning of the party. This would include, as much as possible, non-Christian employees of Muslim, Jewish, Hindu and other religions, as well as non-believers.
  • Avoid religious symbolism, such as Santa Claus, evergreen trees or a red nosed reindeer, which are associated with Christmas traditions, when sending out announcements or decorating for the party. Excellent alternatives are snowflakes, snowmen or winter themes not directly associated with a particular holiday or religion.
  • Avoid playing music associated with a faith tradition, such as Christmas carols. Consider a playlist of popular, celebratory party music instead.
  • Plan a menu that does not symbolize a particular religious holiday (for example, red and green sugar cookies shaped like Christmas trees). But don’t forget to consider menu items that reflect dietary preferences and requirements of non-majority groups in your organization (e.g., halal or kosher).

Approach No. 2: Make the party a learning experience.

Ask a diverse group of employees to plan the party so that attendees may learn about many different traditions and holidays. For example, representatives from within the organization might:

• Describe a holiday tradition that they have either researched or participated in personally;
  • Bring dishes and decorations representative of as many traditions and dietary preferences as possible;
  • Choose a multicultural playlist that reflects all faith traditions; and
  • Discuss what their holidays or perspectives (e.g., atheists and agnostics) mean to them.

What was the highlight of the movie in your humble opinion?

And you can't say the end, or the credits rolling or something snide like that.

Edit: My other point is kind of separate. If a school is seen as a government institution and the Federal government is clearly seen as a government institution how is the school allowing a class to view Charlie Brown Christmas different than the FCC allowing CBS to air lo those many years? It is still highly offensive religious content making use of government resources to indoctrinate unwitting victims.

You want me to cite a non-educational video shown in an educational setting?

And then discuss whether the framers of the Constitution regularly watched CBS?

You're not dragging me down any penguin holes.......

What was the highlight of the movie in your humble opinion?

And you can't say the end, or the credits rolling or something snide like that.

When the penguins were getting eaten by the sea lions. Of course.

They're called ICE holes, you idiot. Iceholes.

I see that some people do not understand that the constitutional freedoms of religion and expression are meant to apply to such activities performed in public places, not just on private property. There is no constitutional separation of church and state, such practice is not indoctrination, and the fact that adults are now being "triggered" by this shows what a bunch of ignorant $#@@#%@ people are starting to become.

Of course not. He didn't have to watch that !@#$ing movie, did he?

We don't know. It may be reasonable to assume watch that movie is what caused him to lose his soul in the first place, the direct cause of the entire plot of the movie.

Avoid religious symbolism, such as Santa Claus

Religious symbols. such as Santa Claus...

:wallbash:

We don't know. It may be reasonable to assume watch that movie is what caused him to lose his soul in the first place, the direct cause of the entire plot of the movie.

Religious symbols. such as Santa Claus...

:wallbash:

Yep. Saint Nicholas. St. Nicholas -> Sint-Nicolaas -> "Sintni Colaas" -> Santa Claus.

Just because it's an utterly !@#$ing ridiculous statement, doesn't make it wrong.

They're called ICE holes, you idiot. Iceholes.

How the hell am I supposed to know that? I'm not as susceptible to the charm of anthropomorphic penguins as you are.

I see that some people do not understand that the constitutional freedoms of religion and expression are meant to apply to such activities performed in public places, not just on private property. There is no constitutional separation of church and state, such practice is not indoctrination, and the fact that adults are now being "triggered" by this shows what a bunch of ignorant $#@@#%@ people are starting to become.

Well it's good to know that you're cool with our public schools having the freedom to hang Church of Satan posters anywhere they please.

I'm sure anybody triggered by that is just an ignorant $#@@#%@.

Edited by Simon

You want me to cite a non-educational video shown in an educational setting?

And then discuss whether the framers of the Constitution regularly watched CBS?

Cite anything that might be shown in school. Like Finding Nemo, or A Clockwork Orange....anything. Just something relatively common to keep in e little easy for me. I'll find religious indoctrination in it.

The other point is separate but equal. :oops: It is more asking you how to differentiate between the FCC and a school system in terms which constitutes a government entity.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Cite anything that might be shown in school. Like Finding Nemo, or A Clockwork Orange....anything. Just something relatively common to keep in e little easy for me. I'll find religious indoctrination in it.

The other point is separate but equal. :oops: It is more asking you how to differentiate between the FCC and a school system in terms which constitutes a government entity.

The Innocence of Muslims

The Innocence of Muslims

I hadn't heard of it but when I looked it up I realized it was the video that got our ambassador killed. And I don't think it has been commonly shown in schools.

I guess you've decided to just be mad at Charlie Brown. That dude can't catch a break. Why not hate on all the religious stuff equally?

Yep. Saint Nicholas. St. Nicholas -> Sint-Nicolaas -> "Sintni Colaas" -> Santa Claus.

Just because it's an utterly !@#$ing ridiculous statement, doesn't make it wrong.

I know the origins, but as he "exists" today, Santa Claus is a secular symbol of capitalism. Most religious folks that I know and associate with have raised their children without the Santa Claus myth, as the symbolism is in direct conflict with "the true meaning of Christmas"; and lends itself towards a rejection of Jesus as a "similar childhood fancy" later in life.

I know the origins, but as he "exists" today, Santa Claus is a secular symbol of capitalism. Most religious folks that I know and associate with have raised their children without the Santa Claus myth, as the symbolism is in direct conflict with "the true meaning of Christmas"; and lends itself towards a rejection of Jesus as a "similar childhood fancy" later in life.

So the new standard for defining religious is "what most people that you know have done"?

That's helpful. Can you define "arrogant" for all of us now?

I know the origins, but as he "exists" today, Santa Claus is a secular symbol of capitalism.

Just like the rest of Christmas.

Hell, most Christian symbolism isn't even Christian to begin with. We had that argument when I was way back in college: atheists bitching that the Christian practice of the christmas tree oppressed Jews...to which all the Jews said "It's a Druidic ritual celebrating the winter solstice, !@#$s. And besides, we like it...it smells nice."

This is just more of the same. The ignorant Offensensitivity Brigade's inability to mind their own business in arrogantly protecting people from imagery that doesn't offend them to begin with.

I hadn't heard of it but when I looked it up I realized it was the video that got our ambassador killed.

And I don't think it has been commonly shown in schools.

I guess you've decided to just be mad at Charlie Brown. That dude can't catch a break. Why not hate on all the religious stuff equally?

I am sure that you are being glib here......................as everyone (other than Gator) knows it had nothing to do with anything.

I hadn't heard of it but when I looked it up I realized it was the video that got our ambassador killed. And I don't think it has been commonly shown in schools.

I don't hate religion, or begrudge anybody their faith and I do try to consider most religions on equal terms.

You're free to promote and enjoy your religion in your home, your church, your car and your neighbor's BBQ.

But I don't think any of them belong anywhere near public schools that are supposed to be focused on educating our kids to think for themselves.

But that's just not good enough for some entitled folks that think their personal religious faith deserves special treatment above all others.

fwiw, if somebody was going around a school hanging posters claiming that God is dead and religion is a sham, I would expect those to be removed as well.

I don't hate religion, or begrudge anybody their faith and I do try to consider most religions on equal terms.

You're free to promote and enjoy your religion in your home, your church, your car and your neighbor's BBQ.

But I don't think any of them belong anywhere near public schools that are supposed to be focused on educating our kids to think for themselves.

But that's just not good enough for some entitled folks that think their personal religious faith deserves special treatment above all others.

fwiw, if somebody was going around a school hanging posters claiming that God is dead and religion is a sham, I would expect those to be removed as well.

All of this is fine.

It is also inconsistent with what you said earlier wrt Charlie Brown as well as your uneven treatment of the FCC and schools.