PASS PROTECT FILM REV- WEEK 8 MIA-MILLER STRUGGLES

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How the QB did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS: 21 snaps ( much less than the 47 snaps last week.. .this is the winning formula. Show me games where the Bills throw less than 30 times and most likely you will have a win)

LINE BREAKDOWNS: 5 / 21 snaps or 24% .. worse than last week which was 6 /47 snaps OR 13%

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION: 16-21 snaps

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 1 / 21 - TYROD TAYLOR HAD 1 UNFORCED ERROR ....EJ HAD 13 LAST WEEK!!! ( much better than last weeks 13/ 47 snaps or in other words EJ made the wrong decision on 28% of passing snaps). In other words Tyrod made the right decision on 95% of pass plays this week.

Bottom Line:
O-LINE FAIRLY SOLID: Every O lineman that wasnt named Miller had a solid day. Tyrod was sacked 4 times by my count and moved off his spot several other times. Saving grace however is the line held up nicely at the most crucial times.. ie.. the two bombs to Sammy.

HENDERSON SOLID: I made a post earlier in the week criticizing the Bills for putting Seantrel back in the lineup and benching Kujo (who I thought was an upgrade over Henderson in the games he filled in for him). We found out later that Kujo had a knee injury.. so it's hard to tell if Henderson starting was due to merit or injury. Regardless, Henderson surprised me by coming back and having a relatively solid day. He was really only clearly beaten once on a speed move to the outside in Q3 but TT made the throw anyway. He did an excellent job buying time for TT on the q2 bomb to Sammy. Hopefully this is the game where Henderson turns the corner and plays solid from here on out.. we shall see.

MILLER ROLLER COASTER: Wow what a crazy day for John Miller. He got a tough draw having to face a recharged Suh for most of the day. To put it plainly .. Suh flat out dominated Miller. Miller gave up two sacks and multiple pressures when guarding Suh. When Miller wasnt having to deal with Suh it was up and down for him. For example.. there was a sequence of back to back plays in Q1 where Miller misplayed a twist stunt and 53 was in TTs face and he had to scramble. On the next play he does an excellent job of identifying and correctly picking up a very similar stunt. Also in Q4.. Miller has a similar sequence of back to back plays where he gets blown up by Suh and Suh gets Taylor in the grasp.. then on the next play he is very stout .. holding up on a Suh bull rush just long enough for buy time for TT to throw the bomb to Sammy. On the positive side.. .he shows the ability to rebound after a bad play. On the negative side.. there are a lot of bad plays to rebound from. Hopefully we can chalk it up to being a rookie and having to face a monster named Suh. Urbik wasnt exactly lights out when he filled in for Miller so there really isnt an alternative here.. just gotta hope Miller can get his feet under him and play like he did in preseason.

TYROD EXCELLENT AGAIN: Tyrod Taylor has been nearly perfect in his two games against Miami this year. His decision making and accuracy was fantastic this week. None of his decisions to tuck the ball and run when pass protect broke down were panic moves in my opinion. AGAIN.. TYROD APPEARED TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION ON 95% OF PASSING SNAPS THIS WEEK!!!!

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1:14:26 UNFORCED ERROR Tyrod underthrows Woods on first play of game
Q1-14:23 Miller doesnt pick up stunt 53 gets pressure on TT but TT has nice scramble for positive yards to avoid sack
Q1-12:53 Miller picks up similar stunt on next play to redeem himself
Q1-2:18 SACK - Dolphins DB not fooled on flea flicker hard to blame this one on o-line
Q2-10:57 SACK Miller whiffs on Suh spin move.. Suh gets sack
Q2-3:30 - Bomb to Sammy down left sideline Henderson does excellent job to buy TT time
Q3-9:58 SACK coverage sack
Q3- 8:38- Henderson beaten to the outside but TT stays cool and still delivers throw
Q3- SUH blows by Miller again has TT in the grasp
Q3-2:29 Miller rebounds holds up just long enough on Suh bull rush to allow TT to throw bomb to Sammy for TD
Q4- 10:09 SACK Suh blows up Miller again.

SUMMARY - If you take out Millers bad play.. the o line as a whole was very solid today in pass protect. Out of the 5 O line breakdowns.. Miller was accountable for 4 of them.. Henderson the other one. Wood, Incognito and Glenn were all solid.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN A-
INCOGNITO A-
WOOD B-
MILLER D
HENDERSON B-

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UNFORCED QB ERRORS: - 1 / 21 - TYROD TAYLOR HAD 1 UNFORCED ERROR ....EJ HAD 13 LAST WEEK!!! ( much better than last weeks 13/ 47 snaps or in other words EJ made the wrong decision on 28% of passing snaps). In other words Tyrod made the right decision on 95% of pass plays this week.

So EJ sucks ?

Thanks for the post, as always. I can't understand stand why they left miller one on one against suh. That's just poor coaching. Can't really blame the guy. Suh is a dominant force when he wants to be. Wood should have been helping with the double team there.

Thanks for the post, as always. I can't understand stand why they left miller one on one against suh. That's just poor coaching. Can't really blame the guy. Suh is a dominant force when he wants to be. Wood should have been helping with the double team there.

Yeah.. he was pretty much one on one with Suh all day.

I also forgot to mention that LeSean McCoy was EXCELLENT in pass protect. This is a facet of his game that I was not sure of.. but he really proved himself today.

My guess it that they did it in order to keep Eric Wood free to be on the move. If he's not locked against Suh, and the team knows it, they can run a lot of wide sweeps and 1-cut plays that get the RBs in space and allow guys like Wood and Richie to get downfield and fit up on LBs.

I haven't seen the A22 yet, but that's what it looked like to the naked eye, and seemed like a big reason for the long runs.

Fair enough. Thats a charitable way of putting it lol.

Hah... just trying to be a gentleman

Suh = beast......Miller is a rookie who needs these challenges to get better

Not sure if it's the new coach.. new scheme.. but Suh was a totally different player in game 2 than he was in game 1. I don't even think he had a single pressure in game 1... he was definitely a raging beast this time around.

Yeah.. he was pretty much one on one with Suh all day.

I also forgot to mention that LeSean McCoy was EXCELLENT in pass protect. This is a facet of his game that I was not sure of.. but he really proved himself today.

Yes he was. Early on in the game he upended a blitzing DB and planted him on his a$$ allowing TT to make a play. Was one of my favorite plays of the game!!

Let me refresh some thoughts here since you felt the NEED to throw EJ in there. Not defending him but there is more to the story here. Good job on the post Bo, just don't see the need to throw EJ under the bus some more, as the guy is already roadkill.

Sammy played, Miller played, Henderson played, Karlos played, and Tyrod played who only threw it 12 times all game long! Which meant the run game was working to the tune of 36 rushes for 266 yards.That rushing stat with with an average gain of 8.2 yards per carry.

420 yards total yards of offense with 33 points! Now take away Karlos - 110 yards 2 TD's. Take away Sammy 168 yards 1 TD. Take away those skill players, and 2 blockers and you get 163 yards of offense with 12 points.

Now think about the Dolphins being 31st against the run. Greg Roman had almost the perfect game plan against the Phins, and lets hope the offense can keep this up.

The NY Jets have the #4 overall defense, and are currently #1 against the run.

Could be another long night for Miller (and TT) Thursday...

For that reason, I'm hoping we see a game plan similar to the Fins game 1. Move the pocket and keep their D-line from teeing off. Add a bunch of outside zone reads and screens to try and keep them from getting into any sort of rhythm.

I can't remember who it was in reference too, at the time (though I am pretty sure it was an O-lineman), but I remember early in the season, Rex saying something to the effect of "I don't believe in giving guys help on the field, if they are in the game, they have to get the job done. If somebody else is helping them, it is taking away from their job".

Edited by Buftex

Let me refresh some thoughts here since you felt the NEED to throw EJ in there. Not defending him but there is more to the story here. Good job on the post Bo, just don't see the need to throw EJ under the bus some more, as the guy is already roadkill.

Sammy played, Miller played, Henderson played, Karlos played, and Tyrod played who only threw it 12 times all game long! Which meant the run game was working to the tune of 36 rushes for 266 yards.That rushing stat with with an average gain of 8.2 yards per carry.

420 yards total yards of offense with 33 points! Now take away Karlos - 110 yards 2 TD's. Take away Sammy 168 yards 1 TD. Take away those skill players, and 2 blockers and you get 163 yards of offense with 12 points.

Now think about the Dolphins being 31st against the run. Greg Roman had almost the perfect game plan against the Phins, and lets hope the offense can keep this up.

The NY Jets have the #4 overall defense, and are currently #1 against the run.

Good post. Also, EJ threw the ball twice as much as Tyrod the past 2 games. EJs stats the last two games are comparable to the stats that got Ryan Tannehill a $100 million dollar contract.