Third wildcard...when is that happening, if at all?

PromoTheRobot

Maybe I'm senile but I thought this was the season the NFL was adding a third wild card team in each conference. Did I miss something?

It was talked about, right along with adding the regular season games. Nothing has been implemented as of yet. I kinda hope we make the playoffs before that happens (and it probably will sooner or later) so we don't have the whole "couldn't make it in with only 2 WC spots" stigma.

It was talked about, right along with adding the regular season games. Nothing has been implemented as of yet. I kinda hope we make the playoffs before that happens (and it probably will sooner or later) so we don't have the whole "couldn't make it in with only 2 WC spots" stigma.

I'm in a similar camp. I think adding more spots devalues making the playoffs. And allows teams who haven't earned it all season to make a superbowl run

I'm in a similar camp. I think adding more spots devalues making the playoffs. And allows teams who haven't earned it all season to make a superbowl run

Kinda like division winners who get in with a record of 7-9...

It should just be top 6 records with tie-breakers.

While that would assure the BEST teams advance, I don't see it ever happening as it would completely devalue the entire Division 'thing'. I think the only way that would come to pass is if the League did do away with Divisions altogether and all teams play a schedule of just League teams or 10 Conference, 6 out of Conference games -something along those lines.

While that would assure the BEST teams advance, I don't see it ever happening as it would completely devalue the entire Division 'thing'. I think the only way that would come to pass is if the League did do away with Divisions altogether and all teams play a schedule of just League teams or 10 Conference, 6 out of Conference games -something along those lines.

Or just split the league and do what they used to do in baseball. Only play in your conference until the Superbowl. Play each team once and then go by overall record. Would need to add two more teams though for 16 games total. Edited by The Wiz

Agreed. Chasing the last nickel is going to ruin the NFL. 12 of 32 teams is plenty. I hate seeing sub .500 teams in basketball and hockey make the playoffs every year. Even baseball with 162 games has .500 teams in the hunt until the last week or two every season. I don't want to see several 6-8 teams - or, God forbid, a 6-9 team - in the hunt for a wild card spot at the end of the season.

As much as I hate seeing that happen, it's not that common in the NFL for a division winner to be .500 or below. If winning a division doesn't matter, then the alternative is to eliminate divisions. That kills rivalries and lumps every team into two (or one big) pot. It would also make scheduling a nightmare. That'd be tragic for the game. And if you left divisions in place how ridiculous would it be to send a team that was second or third placed in their division with a 9-7 record take the playoff spot of an 8-8 division winner especially if the division winner had a tougher schedule? Edited by BarleyNY

Even the wild card spot kinda feels cheap to me, sometimes... I really want to win the AFC East, and be legit contenders... not squeak in because the NFL wants more games late in the year.

So what you're saying is you never want the Bills to make the playoffs.

The Owners have not voted it in... Yet.

Even the wild card spot kinda feels cheap to me, sometimes... I really want to win the AFC East, and be legit contenders... not squeak in because the NFL wants more games late in the year.

Yet Wildcard teams go onto win Superbowls... So you sir are the cheap one.

I see what you're saying, and I felt the same way. Until 2007. The wild-card Giants won three straight road games (Tampa Bay, Dallas, Green Bay) -- and we all know what happened in the Super Bowl against the Pats. The wild card model makes it almost impossible for that type of team to win the Super Bowl. But if a team like the Giants can beat Green Bay on the road to get to the Super Bowl -- then topple an undefeated powerhouse to win the Super Bowl -- I don't see anything cheap about it.

I have a much bigger problem with 7-9 Seattle (2009) making the playoffs strictly because it's the best of the worst in its division.

Edited by Felonious Monk

It's just fine the way it is right now. I really hope they do not change it because then it would become kind of cheap to get in as the third wild card. As it stands though, only 12 out of 32 make the playoffs as opposed to 16 out of 30 in the NHL and NBA so I don't think there's any shame in getting in as a wild card at this point. As far as the occasional 8-8 team that wins a division- eh whatever, I'm OK with it.

Or just split the league and do what they used to do in baseball. Only play in your conference until the Superbowl. Play each team once and then go by overall record. Would need to add two more teams though for 16 games total.

That would be preferable to the existing structure, imo

additional playoff spots were never added but the talk wont go away....I would hate adding another playoff team or teams to each conference

the problem isnt the number of teams that make the playoffs its having 4 divisions of 4 teams and granting each div winner regardless of record not only a playoff berth but a playoff game at home

there are too many divisions and or guaranteed playoff berths

Edited by Max997

I didn't know that they were definitely going to add 2 more teams but I'm in the same boat as those who do not want to add playoff teams. I think the set up right now is just fine and, as others have mentioned, I want the Bills to make the playoffs in this format, not simply get in because they added more teams.

I didn't know that they were definitely going to add 2 more teams but I'm in the same boat as those who do not want to add playoff teams. I think the set up right now is just fine and, as others have mentioned, I want the Bills to make the playoffs in this format, not simply get in because they added more teams.

It's not for sure yet, but I think its only a matter of time before they expand to Canada and London. Or maybe London, and another US city.

I agree though. Making the playoffs in a watered down system just isn't the same. We need to break that stigma this year though before we are stuck in history as the longest running playoff drought before the change. Let's give it to Cleveland!

Edited by What a Tuel

It's not for sure yet, but I think its only a matter of time before they expand to Canada and London. Or maybe London, and another US city.

I agree though. Making the playoffs in a watered down system just isn't the same. We need to break that stigma this year though before we are stuck in history as the longest running playoff drought before the change. Let's give it to Cleveland!

They're estimating another 150 million ish from one wildcard game. They'll add it. They just have to figure out the revenue split.

How about 3 division winners and three wild cards . this way the forth division winner is not guaranteed a spot unless it's record is in the top six . This eliminates the bad division winner with records like 7-9 to get in and reward the third wild card to a better record team .