Do the Bills still go QB in round 1?

I'm fine with the Dareus contract, remember our cap will be ever increasing. I'm just worried about the effectiveness of Mario and Kyle over the next couple of years.

I have a feeling one of those guys is not here next year.

Also, yes on QB in the first.

Hopefully Paxton Lynch declares.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see our biggest needs as OL (Henderson needs upgraded, maybe Wood too), big physical WR (we have a bunch of smurfs), DE/DT (long term Mario/Kyle replacement)

I'd like to sign Kaep (knows the Roman system, fits Tyrod's style) and draft a guy like Prescott / Brissett / Boykin in the 4th-5th round (aka a project who can move around similar to Tyrod-Kaep).

I see our biggest needs as OL (Henderson needs upgraded, maybe Wood too), big physical WR (we have a bunch of smurfs), DE/DT (long term Mario/Kyle replacement)

I'd like to sign Kaep (knows the Roman system, fits Tyrod's style) and draft a guy like Prescott / Brissett / Boykin in the 4th-5th round (aka a project who can move around similar to Tyrod-Kaep).

These rarely, if ever work.

If you are going to take a QB, take one that has a chance at making a difference,

Yeah, go QB in the first regardless of quality. Makes total sense. Even EJ Manual and JP Losman agree that desperate times call for desperate measures and over-drafting a player based on need is the best approach. If the player is legitimately a first round talent and drops to you, that's one thing. But picking one for the sake of picking one is flat out moronic. I keep harping on the supply and demand problem because it's clear that the supply of franchise QBs is, eayr after year, well below demand. Would you have $60,000 for a Ford Focus because you want a BMW?

Here's you list of first round QBs the 5 years prior to the current (we certainly can't judge Mariota and Winston on 10 games, see: Griffin, Robert).. See a lot of success in the "gotta take a QB in the first" approach, in particular not at #1? Some of these guys I don't think are in the league anymore. Locker isn't and the Titans passed on JJ Watt to take him. It's a fool errand to pick one in the first just out of need. The probability of a total failure is high. In fact, there are only two guys on this list I'd be comfortable with right now... Luck and Newton. The second tier might be Tannehill and Bridgewater, not exactly great options.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Edited by zonabb

Yeah, go QB in the first regardless of quality. Makes total sense. Even EJ Manual and JP Losman agree that desperate times call for desperate measures and over-drafting a player based on need is the best approach. If the player is legitimately a first round talent and drops to you, that's one thing. But picking one for the sake of picking one is flat out moronic. I keep harping on the supply and demand problem because it's clear that the supply of franchise QBs is, eayr after year, well below demand. Would you have $60,000 for a Ford Focus because you want a BMW?

Here's you list of first round QBs the 5 years prior to the current (we certainly can't judge Mariota and Winston on 10 games, see: Griffin, Robert).. See a lot of success in the "gotta take a QB in the first" approach, in particular not at #1? Some of these guys I don't think are in the league anymore. Locker isn't and the Titans passed on JJ Watt to take him. It's a fool errand to pick one in the first just out of need. The probability of a total failure is high. In fact, there are only two guys on this list I'd be comfortable with right now... Luck and Newton. The second tier might be Tannehill and Bridgewater, not exactly great options.

Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow

So we should just not draft one and do what we have been doing?

That has worked so well.

And just because EJ did not work, does not mean the next guy wont.

Next you'll tell me we cant draft any Qb's from USC, LSU or ND cause those guys never work out

We should also draft whoever is playing QB from Michigan or Tennessee

These rarely, if ever work.

If you are going to take a QB, take one that has a chance at making a difference,

Too much talent elsewhere in this draft to force a QB pick in the teens. If Cook / Goff / Lynch pass the NFL smell test they'll be gone well before we pick. If they don't, then why are we taking them over superior prospects?

The fanbase has nothing to do with who starts at QB. The argument that we can't draft a QB because the fans are impatient is completely ludicrous.

He wasn't blaming the fanbase. He's saying the fanbase is impatient, which is 100% true. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Too much talent elsewhere in this draft to force a QB pick in the teens. If Cook / Goff / Lynch pass the NFL smell test they'll be gone well before we pick. If they don't, then why are we taking them over superior prospects?

Pass the NFL smell test?

Great QBs have been drafted all over the place. Teams are always getting it wrong. If one of those guys is there when the Bills pick and they have a first-round grade on him, there's nothing wrong with drafting him. Something's wrong with fans who immediately label that a "forced pick."

They're going to set up their board the same way as every other year. There will likely be a number of QBs towards the top. If one of those guys is there when they pick, they'll pull the trigger. Don't just assume they reached for a guy, based on your own opinion.

Bridgewater and Carr made it that far. The theory of the overdrafted QBs is so overstated it's almost a myth. Edited by Rob's House

Bridgewater and Carr made it that far. The theory of the overdrafted QBs is so overstated it's almost a myth.

I think it was true a few years ago.... Gabbert, Locker, Ponder and Weedon were all top 10 (or thereabouts) picks in a period of a couple of years and are now either backups or out of the league. Equally Tannehill (I know he has his fans on this board - I am not one) was probably overdrafted where the Dolphins took him though he has proven to be an adequate starting QB. In the three drafts since then only 3 QBs have gone in the top 10 in 3 years and two of those were Winston and Mariota who I think most people shared the consensus view on that they were deserving of those picks.

Bridgewater slid further than he should (he should have gone middle of the first... there was a team who picked a QB at #22 for example...) and Carr for me was a back end of the first type who slid to the 2nd.

There is simply no hard and fast rule.... sometimes good guys go back of the 1st even though there are QB needy teams before that... other times everyone reaches and anyone worth having goes early.... sometimes a stud slips to the 3rd like Wilson.... it is just too up and down to generalise.