Leo at safety - how did it go?

YoloinOhio

I know we will see more when the all-22 comes out but for those at the game or who watched him in particular on the broadcast, he was rotating with Duke Williams. How do you think he played at safety?

I know he got burned on the deep ball to Stills at corner when Darby was out for a few plays. Fortunately I think the Fish ended up punting on that drive, or otherwise didn't come away with points.

Had a nice pbu and then a great read/reaction on a bubble screen on back to back plays. On the latter he was sprinting toward the playside before the snap and beat the blockers to the spot. I hate seeing bubble screens go for 7 to 12+ and thought that was a great play.

I thought he looked raw at the position.

He was consistently late on the boundary patterns, as well as in run support.

Again, that's something that is most likely a product of inexperience at the position combined with rust from not playing in a competitive game for nearly a calendar year.

I can live with that stills completion. He was cheating on the slant-- that's the right move against Tannehill.

And the safety bit badly on that slant as well which meant no help over the top.

My overall impression, without paying specific attention, was that they were definitely throwing at him on purpose, but he didn't get terribly burned often. That deep ball to Stills is the only one that sticks out.

Yeah, that was a bad one. Hard to gauge overall quality of safety play watching on TV when they'd rather show the constant shot of the QB in the pocket than zoom out and see routes develop downfield. On a semi related note, does anyone else wish that they did that more often?

He was also step for step on another deep ball late in the game and had a good breakup. I'll be interested to hear how he did.

I feel like next week, his sole job for the entire game should be to be the double team guy on Brandon Marshall. Fitz is going to just throw it at him constantly, and he can't read safeties well. Play robber and look for picks against BM. Make their other receivers beat us in 1:1.

He read a screen perfectly and stuck the receiver behind the LOS. Fantastic play that showed a lot of instinct.

Leo's never been afraid to come up and stick his nose in there. Glad to have him back on the field. He's a hard hitter and a hustle player who can make big plays. I think, like Hughes, he brings an attitude to the D that can be infectious. Hope that continues to build up and the D tightens up down the stretch. I'm not sure if it can be overstated how much we miss Kyle right now.

Had a nice pbu and then a great read/reaction on a bubble screen on back to back plays. On the latter he was sprinting toward the playside before the snap and beat the blockers to the spot. I hate seeing bubble screens go for 7 to 12+ and thought that was a great play.

that stood out to me as well. He read that play and was there as soon as the ball. Great instinct/prep work for a guy that missed a year. He looked fantastic IMO.

He read a screen perfectly and stuck the receiver behind the LOS. Fantastic play that showed a lot of instinct.

That play was awesome. Saw him coming in before the snap and he closed fast.

Outside of that one deep ball, Leo looked great in what I saw and I'm glad to have him back!

Side note, Duke Williams didn't have a bad game himself.

McKelvin fares well at safety

He hadn’t played in a regular season game in almost a calendar year, then five days before his return to the field he was asked to line up at a different position, Leodis McKelvin took the assignment of playing safety last Sunday and ran with it. He and head coach Rex Ryan both reviewed the game film for a full assessment as to how McKelvin fared in the new role.

“I think first off the Buffalo Bills fans are very familiar with Leodis and the kind of heart and passion he plays with. It was just great to see it first hand,” said Ryan. “He made a phenomenal play on that swing pass. He was thrown in there playing out of position. He had never played safety. I don’t know the last time he had played safety. He just did a great job for us. This dude loves to play as you guys know. It was just a great opportunity to witness it and I thought he played well.”

Leodis McKelvin: "I Feel Like a Natural" (3:16)
The Bills defensive back talks about his first game playing safety, the differences between cornerback and safety, and playing two games in five days.

Outstanding recognition and he blew that play up.

Overall I thought he did well, but, I hope the coaching staff gives him instructions to only FC on punts. I really don't want him back there as a returner.

He made a good read on a throw to the TE that I remember seeing but he didn't get there in time to break it up. I think the more experience there the better his instincts will be. It all happens so fast, you have to trust what you are seeing

That play was awesome. Saw him coming in before the snap and he closed fast.

Outside of that one deep ball, Leo looked great in what I saw and I'm glad to have him back!

Side note, Duke Williams didn't have a bad game himself.

Quiet you! Are you trying to jinx us?

:lol:

He made a good read on a throw to the TE that I remember seeing but he didn't get there in time to break it up. I think the more experience there the better his instincts will be. It all happens so fast, you have to trust what you are seeing

Agreed...I think most of his deficiencies come from lack of in-game experience at the position.

this. This was one of the few plays I remember him at safety. Great read and react. He was definitely rusty but it was his first game in a year.