A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Our QB throwing fewer than 20 times is part of the recipe as well. If our running game is as dominant as today then our offense is good.

This is exactly what Rex & Roman stated they would do with this years offense. 20 passes, and 35+ runs.

Tayor 11 of 12 for 154, and the RB's 36 rushes for 266 yards rushing. What was so great about today's offense was the passing yard per pass was 10.3, and yards per rush was 7.4.

I gotta tell ya I loved this style off offense! That deep bomb to Sammy was a thing of beauty!

Edited by Nihilarian

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I agree with that too. Look, the best way for this team to win (and keep winning) is to do what Rex and Roman built them to do: run the ball, get the ball into the hands of some elite athletes (McCoy, Watkins, now Williams, sometimes Clay, and of course Tyrod) and let them get the points on the board through individual effort. I don't think it's necessarily a recipe for success in the playoffs, but ... then again, isn't this kind of close to what the Seahawks have done? I hope I'm wrong.

But every game is different. Other times we came out throwing every play and went right down the field. This is really the first game we have had a healthy McCoy and Karlos. Next week against the Jets we may be throwing the ball all over the field. I think this offense has been very versatile when we have had Watkins and McCoy/Karlos at the same time. I don't think you can count the games that EJ played without Watkins and McCoy hurting and Karlos out. That is not the team we have or the offense we run. We can run and we can pass with our starters. I don't think the game plan was to rarely pass and play ground and pound. We just never had to pass much and when we did we burnt them deep a couple times.

Our defense is absolutely pathetic when you take into consideration the talent that's there. This is Rex's ego taking over - he's forcing the defense to do things that are incompatible with their talent set. This group of players relies on QB pressure, which means rushing the DL, adding a LB'er or two to it, and occasionally throw in a corner or safety blitz. I need to start counting the number of plays they actually blitz because I can't remember four or five situations where they happened today.

Remember when Jauron would have Kelsay would drop into coverage? Yeah, it was stupid then, and it's stupid when our DE's do it now. Stop now, Rex, lest you be remembered just like Wanny is around these parts. I didn't like Gailey as a head coach, but I did like one comment he made - he designed his schemes to put his talent in a position to win. He doesn't force square pegs into round holes. That's exactly what Rex is doing right now.

Honestly this team is 4-4 because of the offense and in spite of the defense.

1) Very, very impressed by Karlos Williams today. He bounced off of the line a couple of times and just wouldn't quit. I'm not the biggest fan of Whaley but keeping Karlos over Fred while sad, was clearly the right move.

2) Speaking of moves, did any of you catch the one by Watkins approx. 2 minutes into the 4th quarter? The play went for for 15 yards and Grimes was absolutely helpless.

3) The penalties are still quite disturbing. There were no less than 13 today. One would think that when you are penalized 13 times you would lose. But 260 yards or so on the ground still wins games for an NFL team, or so it looks.

4) Bradham and Brown had decent numbers today, but I didn't think either of them played well. Too many missed tackles.

5) Standing on a tower,

World at my command.

You just keep a turning while I'm,

playing in the band.

If a man among you,

Got no sin upon his hand.

Let him cast a stone at me for,

playing in the band.

Playing,

Playing in the band.

Daybreak,

Daybreak on the land.

6) Gilmore made a fine play on the last play of the first half when he defended the pass. Ryan was pumping his fist. It was good. Other than that I was less than impressed. He gave up too many passes and was penalized. He was also taken out of the play on a few runs. Shut-down? I don't think so. At least not today.

7) Good things happened when Rex let them blitz. Sorry folks, I just can't stand this sissy Jauron style defense.

8) Hey Miller, welcome to the NFL! The next DT he faces will look like Cinderella, no matter who it is. Suh is a freaking monster, and is clearly disturbed mentally.

9) Big Time kudos to Mr. Taylor. You know, he didn't need so much air under his deep passes to Sammy. The kid has a nice arm. And he ran just enough to take pressure away from his weapons.

10) Sammy too was fantastic today! I just love the way he gets open.

11) I laugh when they say our defense "bullies" other teams. We do not, at least not on defense. Our DL runs away from the LOS and the entire defense commits stupid penalties.

12) On the first drive, both Sammy and McCoy threw nice blocks.

13) Sorry people for being so critical of the defense after a win. :( They were causing me a great deal of nervous frustration. Rex needs to get his act straightened out imo.

14) Time now to beat the jets!!!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11) Rex's system is not the right fit for this defense. They're better in an attacking style 4-3 base defense like we saw last year. He needs to adapt his system to accommodate that for better results.

Our defense is absolutely pathetic when you take into consideration the talent that's there. This is Rex's ego taking over - he's forcing the defense to do things that are incompatible with their talent set. This group of players relies on QB pressure, which means rushing the DL, adding a LB'er or two to it, and occasionally throw in a corner or safety blitz. I need to start counting the number of plays they actually blitz because I can't remember four or five situations where they happened today.

Remember when Jauron would have Kelsay would drop into coverage? Yeah, it was stupid then, and it's stupid when our DE's do it now. Stop now, Rex, lest you be remembered just like Wanny is around these parts. I didn't like Gailey as a head coach, but I did like one comment he made - he designed his schemes to put his talent in a position to win. He doesn't force square pegs into round holes. That's exactly what Rex is doing right now.

That Dick LeBeau sucks and always did. What was he thinking?

For as much as we complain about officiating when calls go against us I think it's only fair to point out that we got some big calls in our favor today.

1. Karlos Williams clearly fumbled the ball on his 2nd quarter TD run before the ball broke the plane. The endzone camera angle showed this. Should have been a touchback, Miami's ball.

2. Suh had Tyrod spun around just before the long TD pass to Sammy and it should have been registered as a sack. If it would have been called a sack as it should have been Miami would have declined the penalty, we would have punted, and that would have meant no TD pass to Sammy.

At the end of the day a win is a win and I'm glad we won. I still think we deserved the win especially after the many times we've been hosed by bad calls in the past. But I think it needs to be pointed out that we got some breaks today.

For as much as we complain about officiating when calls go against us I think it's only fair to point out that we got some big calls in our favor today.

1. Karlos Williams clearly fumbled the ball on his 2nd quarter TD run before the ball broke the plane. The endzone camera angle showed this. Should have been a touchback, Miami's ball.

2. Suh had Tyrod spun around just before the long TD pass to Sammy and it should have been registered as a sack. If it would have been called a sack as it should have been Miami would have declined the penalty, we would have punted, and that would have meant no TD pass to Sammy.

At the end of the day a win is a win and I'm glad we won. I still think we deserved the win especially after the many times we've been hosed by bad calls in the past. But I think it needs to be pointed out that we got some breaks today.

Agreed we got a bunch of good calls today. That endzone camera view on Karlos' TD however was distorted. That did not at all show it was clearly a fumble. It was from about three yards inside the endzone on an angle. There is no way whatsoever on that angle you can see whether or not he fumbled previously. It has to be somewhat straight on to know.

Jauron would even drop Schobel into coverage.

Good post!

But every game is different. Other times we came out throwing every play and went right down the field. This is really the first game we have had a healthy McCoy and Karlos. Next week against the Jets we may be throwing the ball all over the field. I think this offense has been very versatile when we have had Watkins and McCoy/Karlos at the same time. I don't think you can count the games that EJ played without Watkins and McCoy hurting and Karlos out. That is not the team we have or the offense we run. We can run and we can pass with our starters. I don't think the game plan was to rarely pass and play ground and pound. We just never had to pass much and when we did we burnt them deep a couple times.

It was great to see the offense healthy (except Harvin) and watch Greg Roman call a game that was damn near fantastic!

It might be a different attack all together against the NYJ on Thursday. Having the weapons available allows for a variety of offensive game plans week to week.

He did appear to be uninspired, but who really knows what he is being told to do in this weird system?

Can we quit criticizing " the system" or whatever ? Rex Ryan's defense demands being smart and doing your job. He may just have to realize he has too many undisciplined free lancers that do not play smart. They play dumb consistently , and must be purged. He's stuck with them for this year, so he may just need to be more aggressive up front because the back seven often cannot be trusted . His system should work, and its not about square pegs. It's about a whole bunch of guys that consistently have played dumb out of control football for years, but were compensated for by the lines talent. All his system has done is expose the frauds on this D for what they are. I don't think that's on Rex. He expected some smarts to go with the talent on this D and too many guys don't play with any of the former. So keep giving these charlatans a pass and blame coaches and systems. Today made it obvious too anyone watching what was going on. I know they won, but that was some horrendous D being played save for a monster play or two ,

Jauron would even drop Schobel into coverage.

Good post!

Ok, just what was the count for DLs dropping in coverage today? I honestly don't know. I do know I saw a lack of discipline by the LBs and some DB's that was a much bigger problem as their over pursuit and poor angles as a result led to huge gains. Let's just give those guys a pass though and yell about some coaches.

Can we quit criticizing " the system" or whatever ? Rex Ryan's defense demands being smart and doing your job. He may just have to realize he has too many undisciplined free lancers that do not play smart. They play dumb consistently , and must be purged. He's stuck with them for this year, so he may just need to be more aggressive up front because the back seven often cannot be trusted . His system should work, and its not about square pegs. It's about a whole bunch of guys that consistently have played dumb out of control football for years, but were compensated for by the lines talent. All his system has done is expose the frauds on this D for what they are. I don't think that's on Rex. He expected some smarts to go with the talent on this D and too many guys don't play with any of the former. So keep giving these charlatans a pass and blame coaches and systems. Today made it obvious too anyone watching what was going on. I know they won, but that was some horrendous D being played save for a monster play or two ,

Ok, just what was the count for DLs dropping in coverage today? I honestly don't know. I do know I saw a lack of discipline by the LBs and some DB's that was a much bigger problem as their over pursuit and poor angles as a result led to huge gains. Let's just give those guys a pass though and yell about some coaches.

I've been trying to avoid thinking that our D won't really improve until next year, when we plug in players who are a better fit. Although the loss of our safeties cannot be overemphasized, so maybe there is hope for when Aaron returns (provided we still control our own destiny).

Dumping the players who set a team record in sacks, produced a high number of turnovers and finished in the top 5 last season will be a time-consuming and costly exercise.

The easy solution is to match up the current skills of the players to the scheme that best utilizes those skills. This is on Rex. He can fix this tomorrow, but his ego won't let him do the right thing.

I can't remember exactly when it was but one of the better stops and plays on D was when Hughes dropped back in coverage on a zone blitz and then was in perfect position to make a stop on a WR I think for a loss.

The WR actually didn't even catch the ball because Hughes was right on him. It was 3rd and 5(?) and Hughes broke up the play to force a punt.

Edited by FireChan

I'm not pissed or disappointed or demanding more of Taylor. He had a near flawless game. However, he has room to imporve. This isn't a bad thing, nor is it unexpected. I'm just stating what I think is the area of his game ..or perhaps the offensive philosophy.. that i think needs the most improvement.

could you please be specific and cite some suggestions for TT’s improvement?

Regarding point 9... I like Taylor. He did plenty good and he needs to be our starter. I'm not questioning that... But. But, he really needs to look downfield more. Too much of the offense is played within 10yds of the line. It seems he's either throwing short or long bombs, with very little in between. I'd like to see more mid range passes in that 20 yd type range. I think that would loosen the defenses up even more.

Draw them in and then beat them deep. Worked to perfection today.

1) Very, very impressed by Karlos Williams today. He bounced off of the line a couple of times and just wouldn't quit. I'm not the biggest fan of Whaley but keeping Karlos over Fred while sad, was clearly the right move.

2) Speaking of moves, did any of you catch the one by Watkins approx. 2 minutes into the 4th quarter? The play went for for 15 yards and Grimes was absolutely helpless.

3) The penalties are still quite disturbing. There were no less than 13 today. One would think that when you are penalized 13 times you would lose. But 260 yards or so on the ground still wins games for an NFL team, or so it looks.

4) Bradham and Brown had decent numbers today, but I didn't think either of them played well. Too many missed tackles.

5) Standing on a tower,

World at my command.

You just keep a turning while I'm,

playing in the band.

If a man among you,

Got no sin upon his hand.

Let him cast a stone at me for,

playing in the band.

Playing,

Playing in the band.

Daybreak,

Daybreak on the land.

6) Gilmore made a fine play on the last play of the first half when he defended the pass. Ryan was pumping his fist. It was good. Other than that I was less than impressed. He gave up too many passes and was penalized. He was also taken out of the play on a few runs. Shut-down? I don't think so. At least not today.

7) Good things happened when Rex let them blitz. Sorry folks, I just can't stand this sissy Jauron style defense.

8) Hey Miller, welcome to the NFL! The next DT he faces will look like Cinderella, no matter who it is. Suh is a freaking monster, and is clearly disturbed mentally.

9) Big Time kudos to Mr. Taylor. You know, he didn't need so much air under his deep passes to Sammy. The kid has a nice arm. And he ran just enough to take pressure away from his weapons.

10) Sammy too was fantastic today! I just love the way he gets open.

11) I laugh when they say our defense "bullies" other teams. We do not, at least not on defense. Our DL runs away from the LOS and the entire defense commits stupid penalties.

12) On the first drive, both Sammy and McCoy threw nice blocks.

13) Sorry people for being so critical of the defense after a win. :( They were causing me a great deal of nervous frustration. Rex needs to get his act straightened out imo.

14) Time now to beat the jets!!!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No apologies needed Bill, you nailed it: the Defense is frustratingly mediocre, and the penalties this team makes are just maddening—good teams will make them pay for those.

At the beginning of the year, the Defense was supposed to carry the team and the offense was just going to be asked to not blow it …. Now it is just the opposite.