Connor Cook

Tu-Toned

The evidence is:

QB is almost unanimously seen as the single most important position in sports; it is one that commands respect.

The QB is the leader of the football team; almost universally.

Someone who has 4 years starting experience at any position in any college sport, has normally put themselves in a position of respect.

The title of captain is given to someone on a team that has earned the respect of the others on the team and is seen as a leader.

For a 4 year starting QB to not have enough respect or be seen as enough of a leader to be elected captain is remarkable. This should not be lost on you. It is obvious. It can be spun 8 ways to Sunday but it is simply not good. Maybe I went on a limb saying hate, or dislike but those are actually the best scenarios for Cook. The others are "not respected", "not a leader", or worse. Are these traits you want in your QB for the Bills?

Cook not being named a captain isn't nothing. It's also not much of anything by itself. It's one data point. For a player likely to go as high as him you can bet no stone will go unturned by NFL teams. If it is indicative of him not being a leader or not being respected by his teammates, that'll come out. If he shows himself to be a quality leader who is respected by his teammates, then that'll come out. It's something that bears watching, but no one should be making any definitive judgements based on just that.

Cook not being named a captain isn't nothing. It's also not much of anything by itself. It's one data point. For a player likely to go as high as him you can bet no stone will go unturned by NFL teams. If it is indicative of him not being a leader or not being respected by his teammates, that'll come out. If he shows himself to be a quality leader who is respected by his teammates, then that'll come out. It's something that bears watching, but no one should be making any definitive judgements based on just that.

I honestly had now clue about his leadership problems, I was simply going by observation of his play.

I imagine that if he had some real character issues, those would've come out in further detail by now. Like they did with Manziel and Winston these past couple years.

To me, Cook looks like the real deal. The kid makes high-quality throws into tight windows. He's going through his reads and reacting, too. He's not in those 1 or 2 read systems that most QBs are, as far as I can tell.

If the bills did decide they wanted to draft a QB with that 1st round pick...people should understand they are probably still looking at least one more year of Tyrod Taylor

That is why I dont want to do it......get a immediate starter with that 1st round pick.

Or get a guy that can be a starter after a year of sitting and learning and we never have to worry about, is our defense gona show up today, cause if they don't we are screwed.

There are 6 other rounds to get immediate starters in as well, plus udfa.

You guys realize that any QB drafted will most likely not be a very good NFL player for 2-3 years (if ever)?

Huge learning curve for QBs coming in to the NFL. I just don't believe this fan base has the patience to develop a QB. Any QB.

This!

Its seems the fans and the FO wants to continually bring in new lambs for the slaughter without building the proper supporting cast first.

Take a long hard look at last year with a veteran QB in Kyle Orton who couldn't get it done behind the worst O line in the league, and that was also with the #4 defense in the NFL. That defense lead the league in QB pressures, and sacks too.

Next year the Bills might not keep either LT Cordy Glenn or LG Richie Incognito, and thus have the worst line in the league again.

This!

Its seems the fans and the FO wants to continually bring in new lambs for the slaughter without building the proper supporting cast first.

Take a long hard look at last year with a veteran QB in Kyle Orton who couldn't get it done behind the worst O line in the league, and that was also with the #4 defense in the NFL. That defense lead the league in QB pressures, and sacks too.

Next year the Bills might not keep either LT Cordy Glenn or LG Richie Incognito, and thus have the worst line in the league again.

PAts O-line.

LT - 5th rd pick

LG - 4th rd pick

C - UDFA

RG - UDFA

RT - 2nd rd pick

Great player. Makes up for a lot of holes on his team. Elevates those around him instead of needing elite playmakers. Could be hindered by his OL when he faces better DLs this season. Would take him in an absolute heartbeat on the Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Finding reasons not to draft a qb early appears to be a lifelong affliction among a great many Bills fans. It is a loser's approach, I think. The team is never going anywhere without a QB.

Now is the perfect time to draft one early because the guy can sit behind Taylor for a little while and learn the game without immediate pressure.

Finding reasons not to draft a qb early appears to be a lifelong affliction among a great many Bills fans. It is a loser's approach, I think. The team is never going anywhere without a QB.

Now is the perfect time to draft one early because the guy can sit behind Taylor for a little while and learn the game without immediate pressure.

I have no input into the draft room decisions, nor do most poster I suspect. I find it hard to call an aversion to drafting this or drafting that an affliction. I would not call those who prefer we draft this kid "someone with an affliction". Avoiding something or doing something "just because" is ordinarily not a good idea, but regardless of your position none of us have control.

For the record I am not against drafting a QB early. Drafting one that:

Has not shown he has the faith of his teammates

Looks like a complete redneck.....you cannot look at his picture and deny this

Is touted on a daily basis by Buffalo Barbarian

has a decent chance of being the wrong decision.

I have no input into the draft room decisions, nor do most poster I suspect. I find it hard to call an aversion to drafting this or drafting that an affliction. I would not call those who prefer we draft this kid "someone with an affliction". Avoiding something or doing something "just because" is ordinarily not a good idea, but regardless of your position none of us have control.

I never said draft Cook. My point is that the Bills haven't prioritized the QB position in the draft to the extent they should have given the dire situation they always seem to be facing.

This!

I think the Lions have the worst line in the NFL. Glenn has been disappointing as of late.

PAts O-line.

LT - 5th rd pick

LG - 4th rd pick

C - UDFA

RG - UDFA

RT - 2nd rd pick

Bingo. Remember when Flutie -Johnson was all the rage? And how different the same O- line looked with RJ under center compared to Flutie? ( and I liked RJ) a good QB doesn't require the best o-line in football. Just a decent one. Get a QB when you have the chance. I don't think the Bills record will have them in position to take Cook though.

PAts O-line.

LT - 5th rd pick

LG - 4th rd pick

C - UDFA

RG - UDFA

RT - 2nd rd pick

Why do Bills fans throw up other teams as a reference, and think it means something? Particularly the world Champion Patriots with known top coaches.

This isn't a franchise that has an already established elite QB that can make do with less. This team hasn't had the same offensive system, and same head coach for the last 15 years.

This is the Buffalo Bills we are discussing, and they fielded the worst offensive line in the league for the better part of last year. If you actually read my post it was in reference to next season in which the Buffalo Bills could lose the currently two best players on the offensive line in LT Cordy Glenn, LG Richie Incognito.

The Bills current starting center should be replaced because he isn't anywhere near as good as he was a few short years ago. The entire right side of the line has been a let down again this season. Henderson still not playing like a starting RT should, and neither is his backup in Kouandjio. Rookie RG isn't playing all that well either, and really should be a backup so he can develop. The backup RG is a complete waste of space, and kinda surprised he is even still on the team.

If you think the 2014 offensive line was a disaster just wait for 2016, and the Bills could set records for being bad if they lose both Glenn, and Incognito. That with a new rookie QB to boot! Might as well have him join TT & EJ so the team can reminisce about the 2013 Bills season with three young QB's behind a bad line again.

Pretty much all the QBs coming out this year have warts. Even the ESPN guys (who at this time of the year usually have 6 QBs going in the top 10) are pretty luke warm about this year's class. Not a bad year to miss out IMO.

I would say there is more this year than last year, which had just two and this yr has 3 along with solid guys that could develop.

Cook is a poor man's EJ

if ej was as good as Cook we would have our franchise QB

"Clearly, Cook has earned the trust and respect of the head coach.

"The impressive thing about Connor Cook really to me is he wants to be better," Dantonio said. "He wants to be a perfectionist. He works on his game. He's trying to elevate. He always looks for the things he didn't do as opposed to the things he did do. He tries to improve on those things."

That Cook wasn't one of three captains selected isn't such a crazy notion when one considers there are 20 fifth-year seniors on the team, and Shilique Calhoun was a shoo-in having served as a captain last season..

If history is an indicator, the fact Cook was disappointed by the captains vote will only serve to motivate him to prove just how much of a leader he can be.

Cook is the first to say that Calhoun, center Jack Allen and linebacker Darien Harris are all deserving.

MSU middle linebacker Riley Bullough, who along with Cook is one of 12 players on Dantonio's leadership council, expects the Spartans' senior quarterback to take it in stride and keep winning.

"Connor is a guy, obviously, who has made his mark on Michigan State football," Bullough said. "It doesn't mean you don't lead if you're not a captain, and that's how we look at it."

"We think Connor is one of the best players that we've ever played with," Bullough said. "Look at the record, the amount of games he's won here, and it's incredible."

Junior receiver R.J. Shelton said there's no question who's running the show on game day.

"It's always a team effort, but Connor leads it, and you can see his leadership and confidence in the huddles," Shelton said. "Connor is a leader, and he takes control of the offense. From practice, to games, Connor leads us through both."

Dantonio doesn't expect anything to change.

"(Cook) drives the car, the truck, the train, pilots the plane, however you want to term it," Dantonio said. "I think he has experience, game experience. Quarterback coach has been with him.

"He has a head coach that has been with him. An offensive coordinator that's been with him. He's been in the same system and the receivers believe in him and the offensive line believes in him."

Seeing is believing."

You guys realize that any QB drafted will most likely not be a very good NFL player for 2-3 years (if ever)?

Huge learning curve for QBs coming in to the NFL. I just don't believe this fan base has the patience to develop a QB. Any QB.

Screw the fan base the coaches and owner need to be smart enough to do the right thing.

I'd prefer Cody Kessler.

guy is a 3rd rounder

Or get a guy that can be a starter after a year of sitting and learning and we never have to worry about, is our defense gona show up today, cause if they don't we are screwed.

There are 6 other rounds to get immediate starters in as well, plus udfa.

:thumbsup:

plus getting an immediate great starting QB is rare, Brady and Rodgers sat so should Cook

Yes luck and Tannehill are horrible, how many QBs have you picked smart guy or are you to gutless and just sit back cherry pick the ones I missed.

Yes luck and Tannehill are horrible, how many QBs have you picked smart guy or are you to gutless and just sit back cherry pick the ones I missed.

Dude Luck was not exactly a unique insight on your part was he? Newsflash: The Bills had no chance whatsoever to draft him.

And you screamed about your Talleywhacker from the heavens. He is in his 27th year in the league and people still aren't sure about him one way or the other, and he is getting paid too much.

In the meantime there are enough other QBs you've touted to fill the Bills entire roster and have the guys we had to cut to get to 53 working the phones selling season ticket packages. "Hi, My name is Blaine. Would you like to upgrade to section 134 for the coming season? We are excited to be the first team in the history of the NFL to have a roster of all QBs. The good news is we just picked up George Blanda for kicking duties." If you consider Talleywhacker and Luck to be your primary "hits" then geez dude.

To be fair to you, you can't really make it up in volume. I don't see one QB other than Wilson -- who I can't recall if you liked -- that has been picked in the last 4 years or so, that would have been a "hit" and sure thing at this point in his career.

The ones I see currently see with any chance of being "the" guy for a championship team:

Mariota -- we had no chance

Bridgewater -- we'll see...maybe

Cam -- we had no chance

I'll even give you Winston -- but we had no chance

Carr - still seems like a longshot to me but maybe

I'll even throw in Osweiler simply because it can't be proven either way.

So who did we miss, that you liked, in the last 4 years that would make us a better team today than we are having picked up Tyrod? Factor in the draft choice you would have used and the other 19 draft choices you would have burned on guys like Gabbert.

Edited by 4merper4mer

They tried that. Jacksonville wouldn't make the trade so they missed on Rapistburger.

Its not always that easy.

im not taking about 2004... I'm talking about 2016. If they have to trade up to get a QB with a 1st rd grade, then they should make it happen. At this point it doesn't appear they will be drafting too low...

im not taking about 2004... I'm talking about 2016. If they have to trade up to get a QB with a 1st rd grade, then they should make it happen. At this point it doesn't appear they will be drafting too low...

Agreed. But it is easier said than done.

Lets say Cleveland has the pick and Buffalo is 4-5 slots lower and wants to trade up. Probably ZERO chance Cleveland makes the trade.

And even if the trade can be made, there's no guarantee that whomever they pick doesn't turn out to be the next Jamarcus Russel, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, etc.

Agreed. But it is easier said than done.

Lets say Cleveland has the pick and Buffalo is 4-5 slots lower and wants to trade up. Probably ZERO chance Cleveland makes the trade.

And even if the trade can be made, there's no guarantee that whomever they pick doesn't turn out to be the next Jamarcus Russel, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, etc.

obviously it takes two to tango. But the top half of the draft could be littered with teams who won't take a QB - like Baltimore, Tampa, SD, Detroit, Tennessee - so there is a chance. Unfortunately, we may be drafting there anyway. Edited by YoloinOhio

Desperately drafting a QB in Rd1 just to do it means you end up with EJ Losman or JP Manuel.

Draft a QB in Rd1 if the right one is there. Don't force it.

This is where I sit on this as well......

Need to make sure the talent level matches the compensation that most assuradly gets given up.

If we are taking a QB with our pick straight up? I got no problem.

I 100% agree and have been saying this for a few years now and have been accused of being an EJ apologist as a result. It is not about one person... it is about this fanbase is so sick of wretched QB play that I am not sure it will ever take the lumps of a rookie QB being up and down without a significant percentage turning on him. Carr and Bortles would have had fans on this board calling for their benchings last year. Both has shown growth in their second seasons. Young QBs rarely come in and light it up off the bat. Hell Russell Wilson had less than a 100 yards passing didn't he one of his first 7 or 8 games? And he is the poster boy for "picking it up right off the bat".

EDIT: And the only - I mean ONLY way they should not be looking for a Quarterback in the first next year is if they are out of position to get a good one, can't get up for him and can find a way to get a premium offensive tackle at their pick. For me it is QB or OT.... if we let Bradham walk, which we may, and then pick a linebacker (which if Rex is still here and having input we may) then I will lose my mind.

Edited by GunnerBill