Should the Bills trade for a WR?

YoloinOhio

Regarding Deonte Thompson:

There is a rule in place that the team (agreeing to a settlement) can’t resign that player until a minimum of six weeks passes following the amount of weeks of the initial settlement.

I wonder the length of the initial injury settlement. Does anyone remember any details of the injury?

Good Summary of injury Settlements in on this page:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/what-is-an-injury-settlement/

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade deadline approaching quickly... Who would you (realistically) try to trade for and what would you give up?

Only 2 people really come to mind that could actually help this team this year. First and foremost, adding a WR midseason isn't usually a move that is as impactful as you would think because there is timing with the QB, they have to learn the offense still, etc etc. It can actually make the offense worse because if the WR and QB aren't on the same page, mistakes happen that can cost games.

That being said, I think the only 2 people worth exploring are Steve Smith and Alshon Jeffery.

1. Steve Smith - He has some familiarity with Taylor, although not a lot as Taylor rarely got to work with the ones. But he is also a grizzled Vet and has the kind of swagger and attitude that can be infectious, so he could bring more of that to our your WR core which adds to the value he brings. On top of that, he would likely be very cheap as a 1 year rental to replace our other broken 1 year rental Harvin.

2. Alshon - This to me would be worth exploring because he's a very talented and young WR we could have in our arsenal for years. My concerns though as he has dealt with his own injuries in his young career, so there is risk there. Bears I think would have traded him before he came back, but after his big game that window may be closing or getting more expensive. The problem with Alshon is its going to cost a lot to acquire and a lot to retain him after we acquire him.

Ive seen others like Roddy White, Colston, etc on here being thrown out...and at this stage, I don't know how much they help given they have already declined and don't know the offense. Steve Smith is still explosive, I can not say the same about some of the others. If we are going to consider White, Colton, etc...then rather than trade for someone like that, better we sign Wayne off the street and not have to give anything up or kick the tires on Welker or something.

So, my vote is Steve Smith...and I would actually like to see that happen. Maybe he can teach Woods how to get open.

Only 2 people really come to mind that could actually help this team this year. First and foremost, adding a WR midseason isn't usually a move that is as impactful as you would think because there is timing with the QB, they have to learn the offense still, etc etc. It can actually make the offense worse because if the WR and QB aren't on the same page, mistakes happen that can cost games.

That being said, I think the only 2 people worth exploring are Steve Smith and Alshon Jeffery.

1. Steve Smith - He has some familiarity with Taylor, although not a lot as Taylor rarely got to work with the ones. But he is also a grizzled Vet and has the kind of swagger and attitude that can be infectious, so he could bring more of that to our your WR core which adds to the value he brings. On top of that, he would likely be very cheap as a 1 year rental to replace our other broken 1 year rental Harvin.

2. Alshon - This to me would be worth exploring because he's a very talented and young WR we could have in our arsenal for years. My concerns though as he has dealt with his own injuries in his young career, so there is risk there. Bears I think would have traded him before he came back, but after his big game that window may be closing or getting more expensive. The problem with Alshon is its going to cost a lot to acquire and a lot to retain him after we acquire him.

Ive seen others like Roddy White, Colston, etc on here being thrown out...and at this stage, I don't know how much they help given they have already declined and don't know the offense. Steve Smith is still explosive, I can not say the same about some of the others. If we are going to consider White, Colton, etc...then rather than trade for someone like that, better we sign Wayne off the street and not have to give anything up or kick the tires on Welker or something.

So, my vote is Steve Smith...and I would actually like to see that happen. Maybe he can teach Woods how to get open.

Alshon isn't going to be traded IMO. He's too young.

Smith is the only realistic option. We trade for him this week, he gets until the game after the bye to learn the offense/practice. That would be acceptable.

Alshon isn't going to be traded IMO. He's too young.

Smith is the only realistic option. We trade for him this week, he gets until the game after the bye to learn the offense/practice. That would be acceptable.

Yeah, thats why I said I don't think the Bears would do it anymore or it would cost too much if so. There were rumors that both Alshon and Forte could be had while Claussen was starting and Alshon was still hurt...but I doubt that would be the case now unless we sent a huge offer they couldn't refuse which would be stupid on our part and wont happen.

How about TO

I actually thought about TO as well. Yes he's old, but he was always a freak athletically, so wouldn't be crazy to give him a workout. He did fine when he was hear in terms of off field stuff, so I wouldn't worry about off field drama.

That being said, even if we did bring him in for a workout, I would not expect him to make the team...again, he's pretty old and hasn't played in a while, so I doubt he would be able to contribute a whole lot. However,I still don't think it would be crazy to work him out and just see if there is anything left there even if I doubt there is.

Edited by Alphadawg7

What happened to Andre Davis? Or could we consider promoting Dez Lewis? If Whaley works some magic I'm all for getting a guy like Steve Smith.

But Denarius Moore has definitely flashed potential in years past and Easley could finally use those hands. He always has a few great plays in preseason. I wouldn't waste picks or $ if we are getting at least Sammy back in a few weeks.

What happened to Andre Davis? Or could we consider promoting Dez Lewis? If Whaley works some magic I'm all for getting a guy like Steve Smith.

But Denarius Moore has definitely flashed potential in years past and Easley could finally use those hands. He always has a few great plays in preseason. I wouldn't waste picks or $ if we are getting at least Sammy back in a few weeks.

last I heard, Andre Davis was not on anyone's practice squad

If Smith is going out, he's probably looking to get another shot at the post season.

Steve's Agent: Pats on line 1....

his agent doesn't execute a trade, the Ravens do. If they are going to deal him, it will be for compensation that is best for them, not the player.

When do others return?

harvin - never IMO

Sammy - Miami IMO

Goodwin - next year or never

Edited by YoloinOhio

his agent doesn't execute a trade, the Ravens do. If they are going to deal him, it will be for compensation that is best for them, not the player.

harvin - never IMO

Sammy - Miami IMO

Goodwin - next year or never

I'll say if the bills thought never harvin would be on IR. Seems they don't believe he's done.

For any sort of trade to happen, the Bills have to win on Sunday. If they lose, their chances of making the playoffs approach nil, and giving up picks for aging players (in the case of Smith) all of sudden becomes untenable. I'm not especially confident about Sunday given the chaos surrounding the team: the injuries, the Harvin fiasco, the QB situation, Whaley's surprising unavailability to the media (Rex being the one who is forced to face the music), and the d-line mutiny against the new system. Combined, it adds up to a sh*tshow, and that usually doesn't end well.