I propose a new NFL rule

Doc

Any player caught giving the "throw the flag" sign gets a 15 yard penalty. I'm sick of seeing it.

Agreed. And as for taunting, it should be an all or nothing. I hate the randomness of enforcement. You see guys running their mouths all day and no flags. Then the ref throws a random flag. It drives me nuts. I must say to my wife 30 times a game "that's taunting" and rarely see a flag.

Agreed. And as for taunting, it should be an all or nothing. I hate the randomness of enforcement. You see guys running their mouths all day and no flags. Then the ref throws a random flag. It drives me nuts. I must say to my wife 30 times a game "that's taunting" and rarely see a flag.

Yeah...but it does depend on what they're saying. Chad Johnson used to run his mouth all day...but I remember, when he was mic'd up, that he wasn't taunting but congratulating guys on good plays and such.

I sometimes wonder, too, if these guys don't just !@#$ with the refs and the viewers sometimes. "Hey, asshat! Nice tackle! You wanna get a pizza after the game?" "Yeah, that's an idea! My wife and kids are here, can they come too?" "Sure, haven't seen them in a while...!" But shouting it at each other, face-mask to face-mask, so it looks like they're talking ****.

Of course, even if Hughes did that, he'd draw a damn flag.

I agree and take it one step further. Even if you gesture with your hands outstretched as in "where is the flag", you also get flagged.

I'd take it even further: if you even turn towards the ref and B word that you deserved a flag, it's a 15-yard penalty. Call it the "Brady rule."

Yeah...but it does depend on what they're saying. Chad Johnson used to run his mouth all day...but I remember, when he was mic'd up, that he wasn't taunting but congratulating guys on good plays and such.

I sometimes wonder, too, if these guys don't just !@#$ with the refs and the viewers sometimes. "Hey, asshat! Nice tackle! You wanna get a pizza after the game?" "Yeah, that's an idea! My wife and kids are here, can they come too?" "Sure, haven't seen them in a while...!" But shouting it at each other, face-mask to face-mask, so it looks like they're talking ****.

Of course, even if Hughes did that, he'd draw a damn flag.

I'd take it even further: if you even turn towards the ref and B word that you deserved a flag, it's a 15-yard penalty. Call it the "Brady rule."

I'm sure he was on his best behavior since he knew he was mic'd up.

unless the player is wearing Bills blue

Nope. Everybody.

how about any ref throwing the flag gets fired. if you really have to think about it, it wasn't a penalty.

Except a lot of times they aren't thinking about it as much as waiting to see if another official will back them up. No one wants to risk looking like a fool and throwing a flag that gets contradicted by a teammate. Safer to wait for a "Did you see what I saw?" confirmation from someone else.

That's caused by replay (both coaches' challenges and booth reviews), and picayune rules that create ambiguity through their very illusion of precision. Officials simply aren't completely confident in their ability to make calls anymore.

Any player caught giving the "throw the flag" sign gets a 15 yard penalty. I'm sick of seeing it.

I agree and take it one step further. Even if you gesture with your hands outstretched as in "where is the flag", you also get flagged.

Can you imagine if the NFL did that? People are complaining now about subjective rules and the calls because of them. How long do they spend under the hood reviewing if the ball moved at all after hitting the ground on a catch? Can you just imagine looking at a replay to determine intent when someone puts their arms out to their sides after an incompletion :) 7 hour games!!! :)

if you look into the rule, there tend to be very defined things, such as standing over a player doing it, that will get a flag automatically. or gestures like the throat slash.

its not anything and everything that could ever be considered kind of offensive

Edited by NoSaint

I think they need to eliminate the taunting penalty. Who cares. How are certain things "taunting" and other things are not. WR catches the ball for a first down and extends his hand and drops it, clearly taunting/celebrating, that's okay. Get a sack, and do a celebration, it may or may not be taunting depending on where you do your celebration, who you are, who the QB is. Totally random just like you said. And there is no real reason for the rule. Just get rid of it.

if you look into the rule, there tend to be very defined things, such as standing over a player doing it, that will get a flag automatically. or gestures like the throat slash.

its not anything and everything that could ever be considered kind of offensive

It's still pretty vague. The throat slash can be kept. But the "standing over a player" is VERY subjective as seen by the call in yesterday's game. Later, a Pats*** player sacked luck and did a dance nearly on top of him, nothing. I'd say no violent gestures, but the "defined" items themselves are very vague.

the pats*** would get a ton of penalties. Every play yesterday they were whining for a call. In particular Eddleman.

Idk how Edeman doesnt get a taunting flag on every catch he makes. He does the same **** brooks did EVERY TIME he catches the ball. Always in someone elses face. Wheres the flag.

From a guy who wants a flag thrown against the opponent on every play, this is rich...

Edited by PortlandiaEast