What is happening on Defense?

Mikie2times

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MatthewWGR

The Bills' defense is 6th in Net Yards Per Pass Attempt against and 7th in Yards Per Play Against. But in order to win, has to be best

they have been more effective than most give credit for, but there were definite head scratchers yesterday.

giving up 250 to dalton and 100 in the rushing game isnt terrible, and the short fields all first half that werent their fault hurt, our league leading percentage of 3 and out hurt, but there was seemingly a level of disorganization that you dont often see from a top unit yesterday. if they could iron out some stuff, they should be better. and thats still frustrating even if the gap is good to great - you hate to see great playing just good.

@MatthewWGR

The Bills' defense is 6th in Net Yards Per Pass Attempt against and 7th in Yards Per Play Against. But in order to win, has to be best

That stat might mean something if they also weren't a middle of the pack 3rd down defense and subsequently not stopping teams after giving up only 9 yards on the first two plays. :lol:

And of course, giving up 30 points per game at home.

The incessant mining for stats to show that the defense isn't bad is laughable.

Used to hear the same garbage the year that Wannstedt was the DC.......people NOW forget that they had some good games against bad teams that year.......but got rolled up like the worst defense in team history in others.

Physical talent will flash against bad teams but you need a well coordinated effort against good teams.

Edited by #BADOL

Confusion has been their biggest problem on defense all season.

It's causing hesitation and the defenders subsequently aren't playing fast.

That's not all of it......they need to force the offense to widen their OL splits to allow one-on-one matchups in space in pass pro as well as to force the running game inside where Dareus, Brown and Bradham can use their ability to make plays.

As I said.......the Bills have not placed a high priority on intelligence/instinctiveness on draft day and it's beyond obvious that they are overwhelmed with the amount of adjustments in this scheme.

More than once yesterday the safeties, LBs, and CBs were barking at each other before plays about where to line up just prior to the snap. Confusion seemed rife on those plays. And what was up with taking the corners out on the final Cincy TD play? The Bills put in a run stuffing package at the 4 yard line, and they put Rambo in single coverage on Eifert. Rambo can't cover him, and of course Dalton saw it and took the easy TD. Before the play, I saw the CBs coming to the sideline and a substitute package coming in and thought, WTF?

@john_wawrow

1) Clearly a mixed bag for #Bills defense based on numbers. 58% 3rd-down conversion rate worst since 58% at NEngland Nov. 11/12.

2) And #Bills D allowing 58% 3rd down conversions worst at home since 64% in 35-34 loss to #Titans on Oct. 21/12.

3) Last time #Bills D had no sacks/takeaways: 44-7 loss at #Cowboys Nov. 13/11. Last time at home: 38-14 loss to #Jets, Oct. 3, 2010.

4) #Bills D has forced 11 3-and-out through 6 games. Had 16 thru 6 games last year, 15 in 2013 and 11 in 2012.

I am puzzled by the defense. We are actually better talentwise in all areas, including, especially, in the secondary. The Run D seems to be pretty good. I thought getting picked apart by short passes was a NE thing only, but the Bungles basically did it today.

I agree we have good talent on defense. But I believe a big part of our problem is at the Safety position. Without Aaron Williams, there is a huge hole at Safety. Graham is decent, at best. The rest of them are awful especially in coverage. Without a dominating pass rush, they are getting killed.

Brown on where Bills ‘D’ is different
Most Bills fans who have watched the games at Ralph Wilson Stadium can see it for themselves. For fans who watch the team mainly on TV it might not be so readily apparent. LB Preston Brown took the time to explain how Buffalo’s defensive front is playing things differently than they did last season.

I agree we have good talent on defense. But I believe a big part of our problem is at the Safety position. Without Aaron Williams, there is a huge hole at Safety. Graham is decent, at best. The rest of them are awful especially in coverage. Without a dominating pass rush, they are getting killed.

I don't disagree, but that suggest to me that something is wrong when the fate of your defense rests on one safety. The Bills' front seven, corners, and free safety have been healthy. Duke Williams and Rambo are not good, but good coordination should be able to mask their deficiencies a bit. Instead, when Duke Williams screws up in his assignments, the whole defense seems to fall apart like a house of cards. He's not a bright guy, and something needs to be done to put him in positions that don't require much thought.

Edited by dave mcbride

@MatthewWGR

the numbers look good, so what is really going on. - Other than the Bills have faced 3 (2014) playoff teams thus far and as many or more are expected to be in the playoffs this season.

Indy, Pats, and Cincy. - Giants

Decent rankings, but what about turnovers? What about sacks, and tackles for a loss?

Good defenses make big plays. This one is lacking.

Turnovers and sacks are what is missing thus far. We'll have to wait and see if they happen sooner than later (if at all).

3-3 at this point is not far from what I expected at this point. If they reach 5-3 by mid season then my preseason prediction is right on track.

And let's not forget penalties. I was gonna say "Where do they rank there", then realized that its just another stat, like the rankings, that dont always tell the true story.

I go by what I SEE, and what I see is a talented group, struggling, that doesnt seem to playing like the 6-7th best defense.

Edited by HoF Watkins

@ChrisTrapasso

Summary on #Bills D: may be overscheming (which is mainly diff btwn Rex/Schwrtz) but QB throwing in 1.8-2.2 secs will negate *any* pass-rush

I didn't see yesterday's game but saw the New England one. The thing that bugs me about this excuse is our cover guys are playing soft coverage at the line. They were like 10-15 yds off!

I didn't see yesterday's game but saw the New England one. The thing that bugs me about this excuse is our cover guys are playing soft coverage at the line. They were like 10-15 yds off!

We're not allowed to discuss the 8 yard cushion on 3rd and 3.

STRICTLY VERBOTEN SIR

Likely a result of no safety help behind them and not wanting to get beat deep. If you play tight 1x1 coverage with those receivers and no help, they'll beat you off the line and go for 6.