Breaking: More Trouble for Manziel - Alcohol Involved

Heard an "interesting" point from one of the local reporters. According to him JM has become a disinterested party on the sidelines, not listening in, giving input etc. could be a reporter engaging in hindsight and fitting a story to his agenda or could be a QB who thinks he hasn't been given a fair shake & is sulking. In that scenario I could see an addicted person saying !@#$ it.

He should just act like an FN professional and be prepared at all times because he's only one play away. Not to mention Josh McCown is no permanent solution for the Browns.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the number a drinks that he had, and when he had them doesn't bother me.

What does is the fact that rehab failed so quickly. I was never a huge fan of his last year, and I wasn't the one calling for Johnny time this offseason. I do worry that he's off the wagon so soon when there was a legit chance he might start.

Coming out of offseason rehab for alcohol, it's two drinks too many.

Do we know it was a rehab for alcohol or was he in there for substance abuse in general? I remember the pictures of doing rails in the bathroom and all.

Ill go on the other side of this one. If its true he only had 2 beers then most of you are up in arms for no reason. Also, who cares if he drank at 2pm. Are you guys kidding me? What time do you tailgaters start drinking at?

If he's at a spot in his life where he's not drinking - two swigs of beer is too much, and hanging out with a drunk partner is a big deal.

2pm on a Monday I agree is a non story - but if you have any familiarity with addiction you would realize that nearly regardless of the details of his personal life that we don't know, its probable that any beer is very likely bad beer for him.

Edited by NoSaint

When will Browns have had enough of Johnny Manziel? (1:47)

For a guy trying to get and keep his life together, the latest incident involving Johnny Manziel is a red flag.

drinking at 2 o'clock. He does play for the browns.
thanks for your posts. But your twitter links for some reason never work on my phone.

None of 26's links ever work for me either. Everyone else's links work for me, but 26's link to a blank page on my phone

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/visiting-web-links-on-your-iphone.html

To see the URL for a link, press your finger against the link and keep it there. This is also a way to determine whether a picture has a link.

Not every Web link will cooperate with the iPhone. As of this writing, the iPhone didn’t support some common Web standards, notably Adobe Flash video and Java. If you come upon an incompatible link, nothing may happen or a message will be displayed about having to install a plug-in.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm not convinced that this is an addiction issue.

I think he's just an a-hole, personally. The stint in re-hab was just "playing the game," in my opinion.

My belief is that Manziel's problem isn't substance abuse. I believe his problems are arrogance, immaturity, self-entitlement, selfishness and apathy.

He just happens to good enough at football to have made it to the NFL. Otherwise, just another spoiled punk.

EDIT: And what the hell is wrong with a couple beers at 2pm on a day off?

Edited by Gugny

I think he's just an a-hole, personally. The stint in re-hab was just "playing the game," in my opinion.

My belief is that Manziel's problem isn't substance abuse. I believe his problems are arrogance, immaturity, self-entitlement, selfishness and apathy.

He just happens to good enough at football to have made it to the NFL. Otherwise, just another spoiled punk.

Well said.

Whenever I talk with someone about Manziel I bring up similiar points. Manziel drank and partied throughout college, and his time in Cleveland much like any college student would. Does he wake up every morning craving a drink? Does alcohol come before anything else? Those are questions that we may never truly know the answers to. My point is that we will never know if he fits the medical definition of an alcoholic. As far as I'm concerned he simply drinks like a frat boy, and acts like an idiot. He's a spoiled rich kid that would never admit fault for his actions. Proclaiming himself to be an alcoholic enables him to avoid responsibility for his actions. You can't fault someone for having an addiction, but you can fault them for acting like a jerk. Manziel knows this. Rehab really came across as a publicity stunt because of this. If he truly does struggle with legitimate alcoholism, I wish him the best. I just have my doubts.

Old saying, instant a-hole just add alcohol.... in this case it applies... One is two many and a thousand never enough. Dude needs to get help or will be locked up sooner than later imo. Hopefully someone doesnt pay with their life before it happens.

Edited by North Buffalo

Well said.

Whenever I talk with someone about Manziel I bring up similiar points. Manziel drank and partied throughout college, and his time in Cleveland much like any college student would. Does he wake up every morning craving a drink? Does alcohol come before anything else? Those are questions that we may never truly know the answers to. My point is that we will never know if he fits the medical definition of an alcoholic. As far as I'm concerned he simply drinks like a frat boy, and acts like an idiot. He's a spoiled rich kid that would never admit fault for his actions. Proclaiming himself to be an alcoholic enables him to avoid responsibility for his actions. You can't fault someone for having an addiction, but you can fault them for acting like a jerk. Manziel knows this. Rehab really came across as a publicity stunt because of this. If he truly does struggle with legitimate alcoholism, I wish him the best. I just have my doubts.

the sheer mention of him drinking at this point may help end up running him out of the nfl, which is his chosen career and could make him millions, and hes still drinking post rehab, and you are THAT cautious about saying he probably has a problem with alcohol?

hes had how many public meltdowns related to alcohol? police involvement, missing commitments, risking his job.....

yea, hes a jerk too. i have no idea if hes drinking 7 days a week and blacking out 5 of them and.... but thats not the only type of alcoholism and it seems he has real troubles with booze.... and the sooner he acknowledges he cant drink or surround himself with drunks, the better his life will be. wont fix all his problems, but its a damn good starting off point for a kid in his spot.

Edited by NoSaint

the sheer mention of him drinking at this point may help end up running him out of the nfl, which is his chosen career and could make him millions, and hes still drinking post rehab, and you are THAT cautious about saying he probably has a problem with alcohol?

hes had how many public meltdowns related to alcohol? police involvement, missing commitments, risking his job.....

yea, hes a jerk too. i have no idea if hes drinking 7 days a week and blacking out 5 of them and.... but thats not the only type of alcoholism and it seems he has real troubles with booze.... and the sooner he acknowledges he cant drink or surround himself with drunks, the better his life will be. wont fix all his problems, but its a damn good starting off point for a kid in his spot.

I don't want to closed minded to the point of saying he doesn't have a drinking problem, just saying a lot of young people go out and drink. It doesn't make you an alcoholic. In this latest instance Manziel did something stupid after supposedly having only two beers. He reeks of arrogance and attitude, I can't picture him not acting like a punk even when he's sober. There are many type of alcoholics, but even this latest episode makes me skeptical. From my experience with alcoholics I don't know of too many that relapse by having two drinks at lunch. He spent this summer in rehab, and relapses by having two drinks? To me that shows someone that is fully capable of controlling their drinking. Rehab doesn't genrally teach you how to slow down your drinking, they tell you to stop. So generally when someone gets that relapse craving they'd want to get drunk. Just seems odd to me. There is such a fine line between alcoholism and binge drinking. I see Manziel as a young binge drinker. Most binge drinkers aren't officially considered alcoholics. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

As a recovering alcoholic, I can tell you these are the hallmark symptoms of most alcoholics/addicts. Addiction to a substance, activity or person often dictates that a person behave the way you describe - because the self, and the addiction, come first - and everything and everyone else is a distant second.

I don't want to closed minded to the point of saying he doesn't have a drinking problem, just saying a lot of young people go out and drink. It doesn't make you an alcoholic. In this latest instance Manziel did something stupid after supposedly having only two beers. He reeks of arrogance and attitude, I can't picture him not acting like a punk even when he's sober. There are many type of alcoholics, but even this latest episode makes me skeptical. From my experience with alcoholics I don't know of too many that relapse by having two drinks at lunch. He spent this summer in rehab, and relapses by having two drinks? To me that shows someone that is fully capable of controlling their drinking. Rehab doesn't genrally teach you how to slow down your drinking, they tell you to stop. So generally when someone gets that relapse craving they'd want to get drunk. Just seems odd to me. There is such a fine line between alcoholism and binge drinking. I see Manziel as a young binge drinker. Most binge drinkers aren't officially considered alcoholics.

I think you are picturing the fall down drunk binge drinking alcoholic and alcoholism doesn't come in just one form.

If one of your coworkers told you he'd been arrested in college over a drunk fight, no showed a very public internship in his field cause he was out partying, allegedly threw a party on a work night that got himself and coworkers in trouble, had a Saturday night fight at his apartment building, had to miss time because of rehab....

His career was on shaky ground because of all of this and came out and had a Saturday afternoon incident where he was drinking and his girlfriend was drunk and police were called.... I think it's beyond fair to say the dude has had a lot of issues with alcohol and whether or not an alcoholic the smart choice is to stay distant. To even be attempting to drink in moderation after all that is probably a choice many an alcoholic has tried to justify.

Edited by NoSaint

As a recovering alcoholic, I can tell you these are the hallmark symptoms of most alcoholics/addicts. Addiction to a substance, activity or person often dictates that a person behave the way you describe - because the self, and the addiction, come first - and everything and everyone else is a distant second.

Addictions are things that a person cannot seem to control.

Good post Brother. KISS ha ha.

But i think this is more than it should be.

might wanna dump the crazy chick Johnny. One of the best things one can do to break a bad pattern of behaviour is change the scenery/ friends etc.

Them womens, can mess a Mans mind somethin' awful.

fact

I think you are picturing the fall down drunk binge drinking alcoholic and alcoholism doesn't come in just one form.

If one of your coworkers told you he'd been arrested in college over a drunk fight, no showed a very public internship in his field cause he was out partying, allegedly threw a party on a work night that got himself and coworkers in trouble, had a Saturday night fight at his apartment building, had to miss time because of rehab....

His career was on shaky ground because of all of this and came out and had a Saturday afternoon incident where he was drinking and his girlfriend was drunk and police were called.... I think it's beyond fair to say the dude has had a lot of issues with alcohol and whether or not an alcoholic the smart choice is to stay distant. To even be attempting to drink in moderation after all that is probably a choice many an alcoholic has tried to justify.

the kid has multiple issues. started with his Dad.

#Parentingmatters

I read an article way back about how he looks to his Dad , then read another with his Dad being quoted. Manziels are not the healthiest family i dont think.

Lets hope he keeps working on it, and stop with the negative crap.

Edited by 3rdand12

I feel sorry for his parents.

His parents, especially his Dad, are part of the problem.

the kid has multiple issues. started with his Dad.

#Parentingmatters

I read an article way back about how he looks to his Dad , then read another with his Dad being quoted. Manziels are not the healthiest family i dont think.

Lets hope he keeps working on it, and stop with the negative crap.

Yep. When Johnny was still at aTm, JM went into a rage, and destroyed a set of golf clubs over a parking ticket he got while playing a round of golf.

Daddy's response? They (the police I assume) are harassing him (JM). They know who's car that is.

His parents, especially his Dad, are part of the problem.

Yep. When Johnny was still at aTm, JM went into a rage, and destroyed a set of golf clubs over a parking ticket he got while playing a round of golf.

Daddy's response? They (the police I assume) are harassing him (JM). They know who's car that is.

Folks like us, in general have no idea. The kid has no foundation.

dont hate on him. especially this incident. He may well have been trying to do the right thing.

although a convoluted right thing.

He cant have a drinking girlfriend, love her or not.

But he also could just be a stupid f'r.

I don't know him personally

Thanks! The people who don't get it, well, they just don't get it. For their sakes, I kind of hope they never have to learn. He could be an addict and an A-hole, or just an addict. No one will ever know until he's sober for an extended period of time. If anyone thinks this was just a few harmless beers, they are mistaken.