Fred Jackson: My Toughest Road Trip

YoloinOhio

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a huge Fredex fan, it was an ok read. Not a GREAT READ. Im sure most of you that have left home for College or University have been through the same thing.( without the millions ) Fred Jackson is a class act and loved Buffalo. Whaley is doing a great job other than a few misses. This was a miss just like the Rex hiring,

Go BIlls!

Miss you Fred.

Maybe not a great read but heartbreaking for a classy guy and his family. There are many families that go through things like this. People lose jobs through no fault of their own an go through tough times with new employment. My Dad went through it, so have I. I know others including people on this board who have.

Fred was a class act and we will miss him come this Sunday. Maybe just maybe he would have settled the offense down this past Sunday. Whaley made a business move, maybe Fred has lost a step. Whatever, we the fans of Buffalo miss him. He was one of us.

You're comparing going to college leaving your brothers/sisters/parents behind for a party/college to a grown man leaving his kids 3,000 miles away?!?! I'm assuming you don't have children... I have a hard time leaving my daughter when I go to work every day... I'm not much for posting but I've been reading this site daily for years!... you're ignorance about what he's saying kinda pisses me off... an ok read???? This guy just poured his heart out online and you can't appreciate that? I really hope you don't have children

Bring it down a few notches. It's 4 months to play football and they have money to visit as they need. He also made the choice to go- no one forced him.

It may not be ideal but it's far from tragic

Doug Whaley is a disgrace. Moreover he's a lying sack of ****.

He should be fired immediately. A piece of garbage. Get rid of him. Worst GM in a long line of garbage dating back to Stew Barber.

Off to the 'ignore" bin for you...

Okay this is how I really feel - because you asked. Fred gives us a flattering portrayal of Marshan Lynch, while trashing Doug Whaley. So I will put it out there for any and all fathers out there; who would you rather have your sons emulate, Doug Whaley or Lynch? Sounds like Buffalo hero Fred Jackson chooses gangsta Lynch, and that's sad. Good riddance Fred, I hope you and your little brother Marshawn won't run down any pedestrians in Seattle.

BTW Freddie, what did you think of little brother Marshawn accusing his head coach of sacrificing the SuperBowl in order to make Wilson the hero, instead of him. Real stand up guy, right Freddie. You ought to be ashamed.

I don't know anything about Doug Whaley personally, do you?

Trashing Doug Whaley? I didn't really see that, besides him saying that Doug Whaley lied to him, which is probably true.

Edited by FireChan

You're comparing going to college leaving your brothers/sisters/parents behind for a party/college to a grown man leaving his kids 3,000 miles away?!?! I'm assuming you don't have children... I have a hard time leaving my daughter when I go to work every day... I'm not much for posting but I've been reading this site daily for years!... you're ignorance about what he's saying kinda pisses me off... an ok read???? This guy just poured his heart out online and you can't appreciate that? I really hope you don't have children

When I wrote this I was thinking about also adding...when one is transfered from his job to another city. ( working for about 50 thousand per year ). I figured some expert like yourself would bring it up. SO here it is. I do have kids and I have been transfered more than once. I have even worked in different countries. Man, it must be hard to travel in First class, have the biggest apartments, the nicest schools and daycares, make millions of dollars.....Sorry my fellow Canadian, I dont get it like you do. Are you sure that Jackson poured it out like you really think? Cuz he is listed as CONTRIBUTOR to the article, not writer!

Once again, I miss the best Bills player of the last decade.

Great article, Thanks! Classy guy, hope he heals up and continues to play well and the Seattle Seahawks (no longer called Seasnakes by me from respect for FredEx) turn it on so he has a chance for playoffs and championships with them.

By the way, got in a little dig at Whaley. I guess nothing new there, but more specific from what I recall-- e.g., assured him he was safe after hurting his hamstring only to cut him a few weeks later.

Well, yeah, but c'mon Freddy. You tell the GM that you want to play injured to secure your roster spot at the expense of potential effectiveness during the season, what do you think he's going to say? "You better run boy, Damn Straight you're on the bubble!" or "Don't worry, just rest and heal up". The other part of it is, even truthful management can only speak the truth as they know it today. Injuries across the roster may have caused them to shift the roster makeup they originally planned on. The play of the RBs they brought in may have changed their ideas.

Anyway, hopefully Freddy has moved on.

Great article by just a class act and a warrior. Miss ya Fred! I understand the front office letting him go, I think with Karlos and Shady they felt Fred's role would be so diminished he wouldn't be happy. I also think they wanted a younger guy in that 3rd role.

However, I would rather they been open to Fred about staying at a reduced role and renegotiating his contract. He deserved to have that choice.

That's assuming the cut was about $$ rather than roster numbers.

Check out his current work in the Shoutbox. Some classic stuff coming out of that keyboard.

Classic examples that too many Bills fans are idiots.

Off to the 'ignore" bin for you...

Bye bye redneck

I don't know anything about Doug Whaley personally, do you?

Trashing Doug Whaley? I didn't really see that, besides him saying that Doug Whaley lied to him, which is probably true.

So in your genius opinion, calling Whaley a liar is not trashing him. And singing the praises of Lynch, who unlike Whaley, who has a history of unsavory behavior as detailed earlier, and which by the the way has led to multiple suspensions. So go ahead nitwit, trash Whaley and defend Marshawn. He would be such an excellent role model for your kids, unlike the liar Whaley. Right genius?

Fred Jackson > any running back the Bills have ever had since Thurman. However I do find it funny that Fred associates himself with a weird dude like Lynch. On the other hand, if I exposed all my demons, there is a good chance that many would say the same.

So in your genius opinion, calling Whaley a liar is not trashing him. And singing the praises of Lynch, who unlike Whaley, who has a history of unsavory behavior as detailed earlier, and which by the the way has led to multiple suspensions. So go ahead nitwit, trash Whaley and defend Marshawn. He would be such an excellent role model for your kids, unlike the liar Whaley. Right genius?

He said Whaley said he was fine, then cut him. If that story is true, does that make Whaley a bad guy? Nope.

Lynch is his friend and has always been there for Fred, exemplified in this story. As a "role model" for my kids, who cares? Doug Whaley as a role model? You don't know a thing about him.

Also, I'm confused, am I a nitwit or genius?

I love Fred and I love the article. But...I wonder if Fred is going to move on now, or if he is going to keep bringing up the time Whaley "lied." We all know how much criticism McCoy got for talking about Chip in the media when he was upset that he was traded out of the blue. No Fred didn't say that Whaley got rid of "certain types" of players, insulating a bigger issue (though he wasn't the first or last to do so)but the point remains he has purposely discussed Whaley in a negative light multiple times since he left. Once right after it happened when emotions were high I could see... But we are now over a month removed. Just interesting how the two are looked at differently.

Probably just reputation. But outside of the small tip he left a waitress once, was McCoy ever looked at negatively in Philly? I don't honestly know.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I love Fred and I love the article. But...I wonder if Fred is going to move on now,

Isn't that what he's doing?

"Despite the struggles, I feel fortunate as ever. As NFL players, we get to play a game for a living and we make a good living doing what we do, and that allows us to provide an amazing life for ourselves and our families. I understand that. Traveling, and sometimes relocating, is just a part of the job, and that means being away from your family, sometimes for long stretches. It comes with the territory."

Isn't that what he's doing?

"Despite the struggles, I feel fortunate as ever. As NFL players, we get to play a game for a living and we make a good living doing what we do, and that allows us to provide an amazing life for ourselves and our families. I understand that. Traveling, and sometimes relocating, is just a part of the job, and that means being away from your family, sometimes for long stretches. It comes with the territory."

sure hope so - but if he really had, he might have considered not calling out Whaley in the piece. Again. But hopefully he will now.

He said Whaley said he was fine, then cut him. If that story is true, does that make Whaley a bad guy? Nope.

Lynch is his friend and has always been there for Fred, exemplified in this story. As a "role model" for my kids, who cares? Doug Whaley as a role model? You don't know a thing about him.

Also, I'm confused, am I a nitwit or genius?

Let me clarify your confusion - you are a nitwit. Doug Whaley is the perfect role model of a minority guy who has done everything right, and who has earned the trust of Ralph Wilson and the Pegulas. Never been arrested, always been a model citizen. Lynch is a thug, who engaged in a hit and run in Buffalo, arrested in LA on WEAPONS charges, and somehow you are so stupid that you are completely unable to distinguish between the two. So go ahead genius, post that Marshawn poster on your kids bedroom wall, and trash Whaley all day. Does that answer your dumb question?

I didn't think he was calling him out. More like, this is how it went down...

we will have to agree to disagree there. He had already said specifically to the media that Whaley was dishonest to him in an earlier interview. Then he said later he had been dishonest with him the whole time he was there. Now he writes his own article, and detailed the exact way it "went down" and that whaley said one thing, and then did another. No mention of the owners, head coach, or anyone else. Only Whaley. Edited by YoloinOhio

I presume you also think that Boobie Dixon -- our starting RB this week! -- is better than Jackson.

But really now.......who could have foreseen that the team would need a capable THIRD option at RB after the Shadester and Karlos were barely ready for the opener?

The Fred Jackson cut and then the bizarre Bryce Brown keep-and-cut were head scratchers to say the least and on paper it sure looks like Whaley pooped his pants here.

A lot of the people defending him will say that you don't need a top quality RB out of one side of their mouth and defend trading for and paying the high mileage McCoy $8M per year with $26M in guarantees out of the other. :doh:

Edited by #BADOL

we will have to agree to disagree there. He had already said specially that Whaley was dishonest to him in an earlier interview. Then he said he had been dishonest with him the whole time he was there. Now he detailed the exact way it "went down" and that whaley said one thing, and then did another. No mention of the owners, head coach, or anyone else. Only Whaley.

I take this piece to be from the "rational, reflective Fred"...not the "angry, hurt Fred" in that earlier interview (almost like a Direct TV ad!).

He acknowledges that he was upset at first, but is now accepting that "this is the reality of the NFL" now that his emotions aren't so immediate and raw. I'm very happy to have this first person account from Fred rather than that filtered story--which at the time didn't sound at all like the Fred we knew and remembered so fondly...

Let me clarify your confusion - you are a nitwit. Doug Whaley is the perfect role model of a minority guy who has done everything right, and who has earned the trust of Ralph Wilson and the Pegulas. Never been arrested, always been a model citizen. Lynch is a thug, who engaged in a hit and run in Buffalo, arrested in LA on WEAPONS charges, and somehow you are so stupid that you are completely unable to distinguish between the two. So go ahead genius, post that Marshawn poster on your kids bedroom wall, and trash Whaley all day. Does that answer your dumb question?

What has Whaley done right?

Maybe not a great read but heartbreaking for a classy guy and his family. There are many families that go through things like this. People lose jobs through no fault of their own an go through tough times with new employment. My Dad went through it, so have I. I know others including people on this board who have.

Fred was a class act and we will miss him come this Sunday. Maybe just maybe he would have settled the offense down this past Sunday. Whaley made a business move, maybe Fred has lost a step. Whatever, we the fans of Buffalo miss him. He was one of us.

Only issue with your post. Its not the same... its a business. Going in to the league you are evaluated consistently and the risk of being replaced comes around daily. Pro sports is nothing like your run of the mill 9-5. The same reason they run to the teams who pay the most is the same reason teams are so quick to move on from current players. What is the expected work life in corporate America vs the average career of a pro athlete. They KNOW they beat the odds if they make it to a second contract, let alone 9 yrs... HE IS IN HIS 9-10 SEASON AS AN UNDRAFTED PLAYER. Its not that hard to not mourn for a guy who fulfilled his dream. A guy who got calls hrs after his release.

Bring it down a few notches. It's 4 months to play football and they have money to visit as they need. He also made the choice to go- no one forced him.

It may not be ideal but it's far from tragic

Also.... i feel nothing for this point because as players, they know at any given moment. They can be traded, cut, uprooted. Kids are forced to change schools. Its a part of the game. They accept that when they sign on to play. ANY SPORT. Heck some " regular jobs" are the same.

I mean, how do we know Whaley is a morally good person?

My gosh I love this board. Here we have Marshawn Lynch, with multiple arrests, hit and runs, gun charges etc etc. On the other hand we have Doug Whaley, never been arrested, reliable executive who both Wilson and Pegula have relied on for solid advice. A stand up citizen and executive. And this MORON poster is still trying to figure out who his kids should emulate. Please get a vasectomy.

My gosh I love this board. Here we have Marshawn Lynch, with multiple arrests, hit and runs, gun charges etc etc. On the other hand we have Doug Whaley, never been arrested, reliable executive who both Wilson and Pegula have relied on for solid advice. A stand up citizen and executive. And this MORON poster is still trying to figure out who his kids should emulate. Please get a vasectomy.

So because Whaley has never been arrested, he's a good person? Has there ever been a bad person who wasn't arrested?

So because Whaley has never been arrested, he's a good person? Has there ever been a bad person who wasn't arrested?

Wow how much can I dumb this down for you? I never met Whaley or Lynch. Your kids should emulate YOU, if you are a decent person. But if a CHOICE is to be made between a gangster, multiple arrestee like Lynch, or a clean, stand up citizen, like Whaley, are you capable of making that choice? If you are still confused, please get that vasectomy.