NFL Owners Approve More International Games

They're fools if they don't start playing games in Germany and Poland.

excuse my ignorance, but what cultural location (draw) is there in Poland (other than fans)?

I've been to Germany and love the beautiful. very clean scenery, great beer and no speed limit in sections on the autobahn.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I hate this.

They can have preseason games. Or they can try NFL Europe again.

This doesn't sound horrible either.

I hate it, too! Goodell also had previously mentioned that the Super Bowl could be played in another country some day. That would be just wrong. Very wrong!

I still don't understand why NFL Europe has not returned. US fans want to watch their teams' players and extra football. Europe messes it. The league needs it to develop QBs refs and better play in general. And the league is filthy rich. What are they saving by not having it, a few hundred $million?

Wanna bet they find themselves playing some games in South America?

Stupid move.

I live outside the States, its your game. I love that its your game. Keep your game! Enough of Goodell. Enough of selling out for christ sakes.

Has nothing to do with Goodell, the owners themselves voted it.

So stupid. This will be a stepping stone where eventually we won't have "home" games anymore. All 32 teams will be a traveling circus, playing in a different country each week to a half-full stadium of people that don't give two ***** about American football and are only in attendance because the NFL gave out free tickets to avoid looking foolish.

Edited by The Adam

International fans are...

You mean all 14 of them?

Anyplace where there are Americans close, like overseas military bases, should do pretty well. Other places will fail much like NFL Europe did.

Yeah right.

Still can't believe it is 2015 and the NFL still hasn't caught onto whoring out the uniforms as advertising space.

I'm sure that's coming.

Wonder what main sponsor the Bills will land first, as it will become a part of the look of the uniforms...

EDIT: Sorry CodeMonkey; I quoted the wrong post! I agree that the huge military establishment around Frankfurt, for example, will show up to see NFL games.

I was trying to quote the user who said profits are at a maximum now and they must be grown or die or some other corporate Scheisse.

Edited by Fadingpain

That would make too much sense. Therefore, the owners wouldn't approve it.

The NFLPA is against 17 regular season games, not the owners.

The NFL needs more money, therefore a larger market. They have sucked pretty much all the revenue that can expect to from Americans. Expand or die.

Increasing TV ad revenue and annual increase in viewership and stadium sellouts suggest you're wrong about that.

EDIT: Sorry CodeMonkey; I quoted the wrong post! I agree that the huge military establishment around Frankfurt, for example, will show up to see NFL games.

I was trying to quote the user who said profits are at a maximum now and they must be grown or die or some other corporate Scheisse.

That was me too actually :) But how much more money can the NFL expect to squeeze out of their existing market and TV here in the US? I suppose they have some more avenues. Four nights of the week don't currently have a game on TV for example. But what other reason other than expanding the market would the NFL have for this move?

Increasing TV ad revenue and annual increase in viewership and stadium sellouts suggest you're wrong about that.

There has to be a ceiling on how much the networks can charge for their ad space. They could create more TV timeouts I suppose and play more night's of the week. But there is a ceiling. Ticket sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the TV money.

Edited by CodeMonkey

That was me too actually :) But how much more money can the NFL expect to squeeze out of their existing market and TV here in the US? I suppose they have some more avenues. Four nights of the week don't currently have a game on TV for example. But what other reason other than expanding the market would the NFL have for this move?

There has to be a ceiling on how much the networks can charge for their ad space. They could create more TV timeouts I suppose and play more night's of the week. But there is a ceiling. Ticket sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the TV money.

Sure, the increased exposure overseas is an effort to expand the market, no doubt. They are trying to make American football fans out of the Soccer viewing part of the world. They make tons of cash as it is though and this is just not necessary. I wish they would do this with pre-season exhibition games only.

Hopefully we extend the season to 17 games, add a bye week, and remove two preseason games... have that odd game be an international game, and every team have one per season, or something. That way teams don't lose home games, there's one less game for players to worry about, and one extra week of rest in the regular season.

What the hell is wrong with you? That will never happen. It makes too much damn sense.

The NFL is obsessed with expanding the top line, which is fine, but ultimately they're going to have to focus a bit on the quality of the product. It is getting worse.

What proof do we have that the quality is declining. The games have been exciting, meaningful and records are continuing to be broken.

The NFL needs more money, therefore a larger market. They have sucked pretty much all the revenue that can expect to from Americans. Expand or die.

nah... more regular season games in the U.S. and larger rosters to compensate are the answer in my opinion. europeans generally aren't overly interested in american anything these days

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Hopefully we extend the season to 17 games, add a bye week, and remove two preseason games... have that odd game be an international game, and every team have one per season, or something. That way teams don't lose home games, there's one less game for players to worry about, and one extra week of rest in the regular season.

That makes too much sense, so it will never happen.

Question. Is there no protection of existing teams when new teams are added? I would think that adding a team within 50 miles of Buffalo (TO) would be suicidal to the owners of the Bills considering the size of the market geographically.

How about the owners add something that is sorely needed, a developmental league like baseball has. It would improve the quality of players (and quantity of competent players). Give QBs time to develop naturally. And even give time to the refs to develop their skills, considering the horrid quality of the refs in general.

Oh, I know, greed. It is not about making the game better or building for the future. It is like business in general in the US today. Make as much as you can now, forget building for the future.