Credit where credit is due (Whaley)

finn

I haven't been a big fan of Whaley, but I'm impressed by what he's done this past year. Some of the best-performing players on the roster were added this off-season. Our best wide receiver is Harvins; the best cornerback is Darby; the best offensive lineman is Incognito; the best running back is Karlos Williams; our best tight end is Clay; and of course the best quarterback is Taylor.

All of them are not only the best at their position on the Bills; they rank among the best in the league.

That's pretty good shooting!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't been a big fan of Whaley, but I'm impressed by what he's done this past year. Some of the best-performing players on the roster were added this off-season. Our best wide receiver is Harvins; the best cornerback is Darby; the best offensive lineman is Incognito; the best running back is Karlos Williams; our best tight end is Clay; and of course the best quarterback is Taylor.

All of them are not only the best at their position on the Bills; they rank among the best in the league.

Gonna be a shame when we fire him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know some people are being cautious, but it's looking like Whaley might be one of the best GMs in the league already in finding personnel.

Last night I was thinking about how we're going to resign all our players once Tyrod Taylor is due for an extension and I had trouble falling asleep. Harvin, Incognito, Preston Brown, Bradham, Gilmore, etc. All great players who need extensions. What great problems to have.

Gilmore is better than Darby still. They just rarely throw his way because he is in guys back pockets all game long.

But to your point, yes, he is doing a superb job in my opinion.

Edited by Mark80

Gilmore is better than Darby still. They just rarely throw his way because he is in guys back pockets all game long.

But to your point, yes, he is doing a superb job in my opinion.

They're just going to play the quick release, short throw underneath, slant game that Brady played and Eli is going to play Sunday, until we can stop it. Once we show we can make teams pay for throwing short all the time, the Bills defense will be truly feared by every team in the league.

I agree with everything being stated about Whaley, first top level GM that's been here in quite awhile. This thread talks about how are we going to be able to re-sign all these players. Taking it another direction.

What about re-signing Whaley?? Read in another thread he's a FA after this year, GM contracts typically expire May 1st, but still less than a year away. Haven't heard anything about contract talks. Makes me a little nervous, does ne not want to be here, did the talk of bringing in an outside football guy annoy him to the point h wants to go elsewhere? Could he be pulling a John Butler and not signing an extension? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being certain we're going to lose him, I'll put my fear level at around a 3 or 4, but as time goes on, that will go up if he doesn't sign. Or is it just a formality?? Or was the other post wrong about the contract expiring next year??

I think Whaley has done a really great job. The whole time. I don't know why people have been unhappy with him at any point in time. I realize he couldn't get a QB before Tyrod, but you can't get a QB just cause he's the best of a crappy bunch. You need to continue to build (which Whaley did) then find a QB you like (Tyrod). I legitimately think we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. I think credit needs to be given to Buddy Nix. He began assembling a strong core for this team and got some key building blocks for us. You can't make an elite team immediately and for that I think buddy is short-changed

I agree with everything being stated about Whaley, first top level GM that's been here in quite awhile. This thread talks about how are we going to be able to re-sign all these players. Taking it another direction.

What about re-signing Whaley?? Read in another thread he's a FA after this year, GM contracts typically expire May 1st, but still less than a year away. Haven't heard anything about contract talks. Makes me a little nervous, does ne not want to be here, did the talk of bringing in an outside football guy annoy him to the point h wants to go elsewhere? Could he be pulling a John Butler and not signing an extension? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being certain we're going to lose him, I'll put my fear level at around a 3 or 4, but as time goes on, that will go up if he doesn't sign. Or is it just a formality?? Or was the other post wrong about the contract expiring next year??

Puts the "rogue" comments in a different light. There's haters in the Bills front office who want him gone after this year. Now who's ambitious and would want to win a power struggle like that? *cough* Russ Brandon *cough*

Lets not forget that Rex Ryan wanted some players too. Tyrod Taylor- Percy Harvin- Richie Incognito, and he picked Greg Roman for his OC.

But yea, this years team looks to be far better with those players and other new acquisitions in RB Shady McCoy, RB Karlos Williams, TE Charles Clay, OG John Miller, DB Ronald Darby.

Edited by Nihilarian

I think Whaley is doing a fine job. EJ was a big miss and 2 firsts for Sammy seemed unnecessary but he's not afraid to make the unpopular decisions and it has paid off well (finding a lot of starters in late rounds for example).

I'm interested to see what happens with the RB situation on Sunday. Boobie Dixon should never be allowed to carry the ball ever yet he is going to be seeing some pretty substantial playing time with McCoy out. Karlos is a good RB and they got great value for him in round 5, but after him we have nothing. I don't like what Whaley has done with the RB depth (cutting Fred and then also cutting Brown) so hopefully he proves me wrong.

Edited by kdiggz

So who in the front office wants him gone specifically?

Are you implying Russ wants the GM job? I think nothing is further form the true. RB wants nothing to do with that job, knew the last time he wasn't qualified so did the job on a manage by committee basis and took all the blame when things went wrong, even though others were really making the football decisions.

Puts the "rogue" comments in a different light. There's haters in the Bills front office who want him gone after this year. Now who's ambitious and would want to win a power struggle like that? *cough* Russ Brandon *cough*