NFL Source: Brady will serve suspension this season

YoloinOhio

The only appeal left would be the United States Supreme Court, which gets around 10,000 case applications per year but only agrees to hear around 75. It's almost certain this will be the final stage.

Well you know they would hear this one. I mean it's Tom Frickin Brady.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only appeal left would be the United States Supreme Court, which gets around 10,000 case applications per year but only agrees to hear around 75. It's almost certain this will be the final stage.

I would hope that the SCOTUS would immediately reject hearing this case regardless of which side files an appeal.

If I'm the Patriots, I would have just had Brady serve the four game suspension at the beginning of the year and get on with life. I think they ultimately may win many battles but lose the war. I'd take my chances with the first four games of the season versus the uncertainty of when a suspension will hit.

This is plain wrong.

This assumes they win on appeal and that the win happens in the next few months. As far as I can tell, no briefs have even be filed yet-- a process that is going to take about 90 days (likely more with extensions). Then the court likely won't decide it for another 6-12 months after that.

I actually think they would be looking at a suspension in late 2016, assuming the NFL wins.

This is correct. I can't see any circumstances in which the Second Circuit gets around to this appeal before the season is over.

i thought I saw that they did file the appeal in the second circuit ... But it would be a surprise to see it get through that quickly

Has anyone actually seen the filing? Do we have legal beagles here who have access to the court docket?

The appeal was docketed on September 3.

The appeal was docketed on September 3.

I haven't seen anyone post a link to the docket. Doesn't mean that it's not true, but no one has linked the actual filing, even though everyone had reported that the appeal was filed.

This is the dumbest story I've read in a while. Please make this go away.

The second circuit has 14 Dem appointees and 9 Rep appointees, and the Chief Justice is both a Dem appointee and a person who is quite Democratic (in the sense of party policy affiliation) in his views. They are NOT going to overturn Berman's decision.

The person who is quoted here seems to have not one freaking clue about the makeup of the Second Circuit. He's just trying to drum up clicks.

I feel like this is just another episode of the triumph of hope over experience.

I haven't seen anyone post a link to the docket. Doesn't mean that it's not true, but no one has linked the actual filing, even though everyone had reported that the appeal was filed.

I obtained that information from the S.D.N.Y.'s PACER site. The Second Circuit docket number is 15-02801. It's publicly available, but if you're not associated with the federal judiciary you have to register for an account and pay a $0.10 per page fee to view dockets and filings.

Edited by Go Kiko go

Oh for !@#$'s sake. Can this thing be over already?

It would be if TB* were man enough to sack up, admit he cheated and took his punishment.

This is the worst Long American Nightmare since twerking was finally over.

(Edit:) frigging autocorrect :angry:

Edited by Nanker

This is plain wrong.

This assumes they win on appeal and that the win happens in the next few months. As far as I can tell, no briefs have even be filed yet-- a process that is going to take about 90 days (likely more with extensions). Then the court likely won't decide it for another 6-12 months after that.

I actually think they would be looking at a suspension in late 2016, assuming the NFL wins.

Although I agree I want this to be over with already, the merits of the NFL's decision to uphold and indeed place a suspension on Brady is not what is being appealed, nor what Brewer based his decision on. In, fact, most media I read about this have no freaking clue as to what this is even about. The NFL is appealing Brewers basis for dismissal, and to that, they have a strong case both in procedure, AND precedent. In my opinion, the NFL will win this appeal. As far as briefs are concerned, not too many are required past the initial appeal brief; after that the Appeals court will ask for oral arguments, ask questions, and then decide. All of which can take place in a one or two day cycle. The decision however can take a while, but not 6 - 12 months as you are suggesting. that would actually be out of the norm, IMO.

Either way, he deflated some balls.. I'm not that upset about that, but lawyers and the legal system get up in arms when judges start making phantom rulings based on their own agendas, and in essence that is what this case is really about.

Tim-

This is the dumbest story I've read in a while. Please make this go away.

The second circuit has 14 Dem appointees and 9 Rep appointees, and the Chief Justice is both a Dem appointee and a person who is quite Democratic (in the sense of party policy affiliation) in his views. They are NOT going to overturn Berman's decision.

The person who is quoted here seems to have not one freaking clue about the makeup of the Second Circuit. He's just trying to drum up clicks.

I feel like this is just another episode of the triumph of hope over experience.

Again, I'm going for the fire where there's smoke angle. I still suspect that the NFL knows more than what's been disclosed in the deflategate filing. I don't see the 31 owners sitting quietly when they believe that the Pats* have flouted league rules. Even if the 2nd circuit doesn't overturn this decision, a penalty by Brady will be paid.

For the same reason you're citing 14 Dem judges who won't overturn a Dem judge's decision, I think that 31 owners will not sit quietly when they are convinced that a coach and/or player on one franchise have habitually cheated.