I Miss Jim Schwartz

Yesterday, our defense got annihilated. The Bills were utterly unprepared to face what the Patriots could throw at them yesterday.

Obviously, the result against the Colts for the defense was good but my eye test on that day caused me some concern as well. Early in the game (Colts game) we were blitzing the house on every play and you could just see places all over the field where we could get gashed. Luck (not the player) was a significant factor in week 1 in our defense having success. Things easily could have gone the other way early and the game would have been very different.

Yesterday, obviously was pathetic.

Schwartz knew how to limit elite offenses with our personnel. He knew he didn't have to blitz like crazy and he knew to keep the back end (secondary) protected.

When I saw the stats yesterday on Rex Ryan's defenses against Brady, I was very disappointed. 25 TDs to 3 INTs. Ouch.

I love what Rex has brought to the Bills. I am a Rex supporter. However, what I've seen so far out of this very talented defense has me missing Schwartz's scheme.

Schwartz got inihilated by Tom Brady and the Patriots too.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a strong supporter of Schwartz I will say in defense of the current defense, at least when it comes to points given up, they were put in tough positions on the 2nd and 3rd TDs scored by NE. They started from our 13 on one drive and our 30 on the next. I don't care how good a defense is, no one is stopping Brady when he keeps getting great field position like that. But the number of yards is troubling.

Schwartz (EDIT: was) in such high demand that he's now working for the league assisting officials this season.

Ahaaaaa...also collecting $3mil from the Bills. (next year also I think) Man can be really selective in what he does next.....I think your read here is wrong. I think he is going to turn up again in a year or two.....after collecting his 6mil.

I liked Schwartz and did contain teams well. Rex is a samples size of two games. I thought he blitzed too much too, and got lucky in week 1, and then did the right thing in keeping back 7, but he didn't have his guys play press. I just made it off the plane from Buffalo to home, and in watching the game, the DB's didn't press enough. They hung back and was driving us crazy in the stands. They fell into exactly what Brady does best, step into the pocket and throw darts in 1.5 seconds or less.

They dinked and dunked us to death. It was painful.

Yesterday, our defense got annihilated. The Bills were utterly unprepared to face what the Patriots could throw at them yesterday.

Obviously, the result against the Colts for the defense was good but my eye test on that day caused me some concern as well. Early in the game (Colts game) we were blitzing the house on every play and you could just see places all over the field where we could get gashed. Luck (not the player) was a significant factor in week 1 in our defense having success. Things easily could have gone the other way early and the game would have been very different.

Yesterday, obviously was pathetic.

Schwartz knew how to limit elite offenses with our personnel. He knew he didn't have to blitz like crazy and he knew to keep the back end (secondary) protected.

When I saw the stats yesterday on Rex Ryan's defenses against Brady, I was very disappointed. 25 TDs to 3 INTs. Ouch.

I love what Rex has brought to the Bills. I am a Rex supporter. However, what I've seen so far out of this very talented defense has me missing Schwartz's scheme.

If Schwartz knew anything about stopping Brady he'd be coaching any number of AFC teams.

Ahaaaaa...also collecting $3mil from the Bills. (next year also I think) Man can be really selective in what he does next.....I think your read here is wrong. I think he is going to turn up again in a year or two.....after collecting his 6mil.

How many DC's who have a highly ranked defense then take a year away from coaching in the middle of their career?

Didn't Schwartz D get shredded by Brady too?

Of course it did.

But never let the facts get in the way of the TRUTH-ers!

October 12, 2014

New England Buffalo

First downs 22 19

Rush-yards-TDs 27-50-0 23-68-1

Comp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 27-37-361-4-0 24-38-299-2-1

Sacked-yards 2-15 5-31

Net pass yards 346 268

Total yards 396 336

Fumbles-lost 0-0 2-2

Turnovers 0 3

Penalties-yards 9-60 8-107

Third Down Conv. 7-15 8-15

Fourth Down Conv. 0-0 1-2

Total Plays 66 66

Time of Posession

30:20

Edited by Lurker

Okay screw him was maybe the wrong word.... but they didn't leave him in the best situation and I am not criticising them for that - after all they should only care about the best interests of this team not anything else.

I don't believe he was offered the chance to stay. That has never been confirmed. There were rumours swirling that the team were keen to keep him involved but I also heard that Rex was adamant that Thurman was his DC.

it didn't make sense for him to stay. Thurman was coming regardless. But that's the business of the NFL when a new HC is hired. He's going to want his staff, and their defensive philosophies were incompatible. So I didn't think it made sense either but they also publically said it was decision. I mean I guess they could have made him an assistant, they were willing to pay him his contract whether he coached or not.

From 1/12

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 24s24 seconds ago

Seems unlikely DC Jim Schwartz will remain w #Bills, despite Rex Ryan offering him chance to stay. Schwartz probably gone by tomorrow.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/16930/jim-schwartz-undecided-on-potential-pairing-with-rex-ryan

schwarz was way better than i was expecting at the time of the hire. he was able to win the nfc north while being our DC and stopping rodgers which was an amazing feat. but then promptly got blown up by the raiders.......by the raiders!!!!!!!!!

After two games......TWO GAMES

One of which was a dominating win over a strong AFC Contender with a strong offense

Keep telling yourself that. The Colts are a weak team.

Not offensively

I'll wait to see if they bounce back tonight at home against NYJ. If they don't, I won't be shocked.

12 hours later.

schwarz was way better than i was expecting at the time of the hire. he was able to win the nfc north while being our DC and stopping rodgers which was an amazing feat. but then promptly got blown up by the raiders.......by the raiders!!!!!!!!!

I saw that as the result of Dareus going down. Marcel was dominant late last season.

Personally I think Schwartz's scheme fits our team better than Rex's/Pettine's, but we're also only two games into the season, and have played two of the better offenses in the league (supposedly).

last nights game has me wondering about the colts win. And how good they are? The jets looked pretty good. Last years record was 4-12 i forget who the coach was.

last nights game has me wondering about the colts win. And how good they are? The jets looked pretty good. Last years record was 4-12 i forget who the coach was.

lol - hate our coach all you want after a loss but the Jets are obviously a very different team personnel wise than last year - 3 new CBs including the best in the league, a new safety, WR and QB. Given what they was dealing with - Indy's top 4 CBs out and getting 5 turnovers - the jets offense underperformed IMO. But a win is a win. Edited by YoloinOhio