Taylor Review

Thurmal34

2) Tyrod needs to step up in pocket

- For the first time, the Bills faced some adversity with Tyrod Taylor as their quarterback in the passing game. The Patriots were begging Taylor to throw the ball deep in single-high safety looks, and he just could not take advantage of that. Until Taylor beats that type of defense, teams will continue to play him that way. However, Ryan thinks he knows part of the problem, or at least, what he’d like to see Taylor do a better job of: stepping up in the pocket. Taylor isn’t the tallest of passers and may have some trouble seeing targets down the field, but, stepping up in the pocket rather than looking for an escape strategy. Whatever the fix is, Taylor has to quickly prove himself as a downfield passer.

@JoeBuscaglia

Rex Ryan calls out one of his own players. Plus, he says what he wants to see from Tyrod. 5 thoughts from his presser http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-bills-hc-rex-ryan-921

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped reading after about the 4th post. Most here want to give EJ 3 years, but they are done with TT after 2 games...Yeah, great conversation...

TT only has two starts but he been in the Nfl for 5 years . Not like he is a rookie. TT been to the Supperbowl. His OCs have been Jim Caldwell and Gary Kubiak and know Greg Roman. Sometimes it is better to sit behind a superbowl MVP QB and great coaching for your first couple years than to start as a rookie with Nathaniel Hackett your OC [ first two years] . EJ look good in preseason but TT look better. Can't give up on EJ from his first two years, just like you can't give up on TT after his first two starts.

Exactly...They would have needed 40+ to beat the *Patsie's, sorry, but no QB on our bench gets us close to that...

People are acting like TT didn't have something to do with all those Pats points. 3 TOs and a bunch of 3 and outs early in the game contributed greatly to the points scored against. I'm not absolving the defense (or the ST) but to think that they absolutely would have needed 40+ points yesterday no matter who started is disingenuous.

Protect the ball better and don't go 3 and out so often and you'll need fewer points.

Edited by MDH

Way too many times Taylor was too late and too high with his throws. Starting QB's in the NFL can't perform like this. If this doesn't improve, he will not be starting in this league; unless those behind are no better.

I don't want to pick on you, in particular, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the level of knowledgeable football analysis (or lack thereof) here. I really can't perform the actual "review" 'cuz I just learned coaches' film doesn't come out on GamePass until Weds (BOOOO!). But here's an example of what I can see when I slow down the condensed game.

Bills 2nd series.

1st down: McCoy in the backfield, handoff pitched to him, similar play went for big yards on the 1st series. This time Pats are ready, McCoy gets stuffed on the 1st down run, lucky to make it close to the LOS. In fact that's a hard fought run to make it back within 1 yd.

2nd down&11: Pass to Mulligan, 1 yd. First assessment: Play-action fake to McCoy followed by bad throw by Tyler, for little yardage. Mulligan had to come back and drop to one knee for the ball and struggled to haul it in, fought hard to get the 1 yd he got. Closer look: not so fast, something is seriously AFU with the blocking. At the snap, Clay crosses the formation and turns upfield during the fake to McCoy, running RIGHT BY CHANDLER JONES, who then continues totally unblocked to the QB. Taylor sees Mulligan and avoids the sack by throwing to him. Clay, who was probably the intended target, is likely hidden by the unblocked and hard charging Chandler Jones. Meanwhile 'Cog is saying "hey, what, huh? Where's my guy?" (Not saying that's his fault here). I can't tell you whose, but it's clearly a blocking assignment miscue, and the bad Taylor throw is really not on Taylor. Did he have someone downfield that he missed? I can't tell you that without the Coach's Film, but he had neither a running lane nor much time to look before he would have gotten pancaked by Jones.

3rd down and 9: Designed pass play. The Pats send 5. McCoy stays in to block, has no one to block, and tries to cut through the line as an outlet. Trips on Cog, falls in a heap, taking Cog down with him. Meanwhile, Taylor goes through his drop and bounces nicely in place saying "one potato two potato three potato" and looking for his receiver. At this point, Ninkovitch fakes inside convincingly and Henderson turns from blocking Ninkovitch to help Miller, who's been pushed off balance by (?Pats LBs - Rufus Johnson?) and would clearly get run over if Ninkovitch broke inside, I can only see 4 of our 5 linemen (I think'Cog is the one McCoy tripped on and is still down). Ninkovitch jukes back outside and charges by Henderson with Taylor in his sights. Taylor can not step up into the pocket because with 'Cog on the ground and Glenn beaten and desperately holding onto his guy's collar from behind there ain't no pocket Aware the play is busted, Taylor looks for McCoy, who is crumpled on the turf still. Taylor eludes Ninkovitch and looks downfield, doesn't like what he sees. By then any running lanes he has are clogged with Ninkovitch, Johnson, and 3 other defenders. If he tries to run, he'll get slaughtered well shy of first down so he scampers out of bound for a "sack" of -6 yards. He throws it away as he goes and the refs ruled he had stepped OOB before throwing REX THEN TRIED TO CHALLENGE AN UNCHALLENGEABLE PLAY. WtF?

Until I see coaches' film, I can't tell you if Taylor had a play and wouldn't pull the trigger, but it looked like a coverage sack combined with a very quick breakdown in protection to me, starting when McCoy tripped over 'Cog and Wood trying to cut through a hole that wasn't there.

My point is, what at first looked like 3 bad playcalls to me, upon further review looked more reasonable as calls. The first play was a stuffed run that may have been a breakdown in line play. The second should have been a pass to Clay, protection was AFU, and Taylor threw it away to Mulligan to avoid losing yards. The third was an attempt at a long pass with a checkdown option to McCoy who would have a good chance for a first down. Again, something was AFU with the pass protection.

Without coaches' film, I have no idea how all you brilliant football minds are so confident that Taylor is just an indecisive little deer who left lots of open guys downfield. If you're at the game watching downfield to see who's open, how are you assessing the protection and whether Taylor has time to throw when the guy is open? And if you've got coaches film available to you, I'd be a heck of a lot more impressed by an actual REVIEW using it than a bunch of stuff about how"terrible" and "indecisive" Taylor was and how "many times" TT could have "taken off for 20 yds" instead of taking sacks or all the open receivers downfield he failed to utilize. What I see is we got our heads spun around and our asses whipped on the OL in pass protection 2 plays in a row, and possibly in run blocking on the 1st play, got too aggravated with the Gamepass limitations to look carefully.

I have a hunch if I look through the 2nd and 3rd Q I'd see a lot more of the same.

Edited by Hopeful

too many pages to follow ... I will correct myself as I think I said TT had 2 INT's and 2 fumbles - 0 lost

I now see it was 3 INT's. A QBR of 32.6 and a rating of 93.3.

Those my friends were the - bench EJ type numbers.

But you need to use the 2 game sample. 57.5 QBR (17th in the league), 103.9 rating (8th in the league), 4 TD passes (6th in the league), 8.92 YPA (4th in the league), 75.5% completion percentage (4th in the league) and his team is 5th in PPG (behind a Jets team that has only played once).

For a guy that has now started 2 games none of the above numbers scream panic or bench or anything of the sorts. He is a playmaker that is going to have some bumps along the way but his play has been better than expected.

Almost!

@ben_grimalldo

@JeremyWGR another angle. Sammy got in Woods' way. Would've gone for six.

CPYRc3dWoAI9le_.jpg

https://twitter.com/ben_grimalldo/status/645722785268957184/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I don't think it would've gone for six, but it certainly could've been completed. Looks a bit behind Woody at that point, but probably would've been able to sit down and grab it.

But you need to use the 2 game sample. 57.5 QBR (17th in the league), 103.9 rating (8th in the league), 4 TD passes (6th in the league), 8.92 YPA (4th in the league), 75.5% completion percentage (4th in the league) and his team is 5th in PPG (behind a Jets team that has only played once).

For a guy that has now started 2 games none of the above numbers scream panic or bench or anything of the sorts. He is a playmaker that is going to have some bumps along the way but his play has been better than expected.

oh please stop Kirby. You know damn well that those poor numbers are the exact bad numbers people hammered EJ about.

I won't argue this further. I am not calling for any QB switch just better play.

the laughable thing is that we "EJ fans" have been saying that for the now 3rd year QB. Funny how that works no?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

oh please stop Kirby. You know damn well that those poor numbers are the exact bad numbers people hammered EJ about.

I won't argue this further. I am not calling for any QB switch just better play.

the laughable thing is that we "EJ fans" have been saying that for the now 3rd year QB. Funny how that works no?

Please find the people who were complaining about EJs first game outing against NE and then against the Panthers? If EJ has consistently delivered those kinds of games then we wouldn't have a QB issue. Edited by GG

the laughable thing is that we "EJ fans" have been saying that for the now 34rd year QB. Funny how that works no?

Not really though. Let's look at the actual stats: EJ's highest ever completion percentage in a game is 72.73%, he has never thrown for 3 TDs in a game, never accounted for 4 TDs in a game, never rushed for more than 40 yards and never had a game over 8.75 YPA. If you go through and pick out the best of the best of what he has ever done Tyrod has done more in 2 weeks.

Now if you were to average out all of his starts the gap would be much wider. I only looked for his absolute best performances and compared them against both of Taylor's. They are not in fact the same or even similar.

Not really though. Let's look at the actual stats: EJ's highest ever completion percentage in a game is 72.73%, he has never thrown for 3 TDs in a game, never accounted for 4 TDs in a game, never rushed for more than 40 yards and never had a game over 8.75 YPA. If you go through and pick out the best of the best of what he has ever done Tyrod has done more in 2 weeks.

Now if you were to average out all of his starts the gap would be much wider. I only looked for his absolute best performances and compared them against both of Taylor's. They are not in fact the same or even similar.

So what you're saying is that opposing teams' defenses are also conspiring against EJ. Interesting.

Edited by FireChan