F the News' Gleason

Rivermont Mike

"Itll be the usual belligerent, vulgar Buffalo Bills-type fans, doing what they do best, says Bucky Gleason, a Buffalo native and longtime columnist for the Buffalo News. The difference this year is that they actually think they can win. Hating Brady is a sport around here. Its like a third franchise. This is the most anticipated game here since 2004."

Really, Gleason? Belligerent and vulgar? At least people around here believe in something, instead of being a spineless Sullivan wanna-be like you. Nobody is asking you to be a homer, but was it really necessary to say that? Too bad you hide in the press box--I'm sure more than a couple "vulgar" fans would love the opportunity to set the record straight. Hack.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the real problem with the Snooze, IMO. If the fish stinks, it usually starts with the head,,,

Sports desk:

Lisa Wilson (sports editor) 716-849-4465

Newsroom:

Mike Connolly (Editor) editor@buffnews,com

What do you want to bet the first 100 emails to the editor contain the words !@#$er, !@#$, dipshit, Gugny, piece of ****, mother !@#$er, etc. ?

"Itll be the usual belligerent, vulgar Buffalo Bills-type fans, doing what they do best, says Bucky Gleason, a Buffalo native and longtime columnist for the Buffalo News. The difference this year is that they actually think they can win. Hating Brady is a sport around here. Its like a third franchise. This is the most anticipated game here since 2004."

Really, Gleason? Belligerent and vulgar? At least people around here believe in something, instead of being a spineless Sullivan wanna-be like you. Nobody is asking you to be a homer, but was it really necessary to say that? Too bad you hide in the press box--I'm sure more than a couple "vulgar" fans would love the opportunity to set the record straight. Hack.

Is he wrong tho? There will be plenty of belligerent and vulgar fans. More so than many other past games.

Alert the media: in any large group of people consuming alcoholic beverages, some will be belligerent and vulgar. And some will be decent and kind. And some will be either, depending upon how they're approached and who's asking.

I'm kinda thinking Bucky is accurately describing his personal experience with Buffalo Bills-type fans, and it might be a case of "find what you bring"

Didn't have to say it , but that kind of is the reputation around the league.

With who? The press? I've talked to football fans all over the country. The vast majority of those who have been to the Ralph, said they LOVED the tailgate, fans and gameday experience. Most of those who hadn't been, said they heard it's just a crazy atmosphere (and they meant that in a good way).

I'm not saying there haven't been some unfortunate instances, of course there have. But I believe most people who go to an NFL football game prefer a raucous fanbase (and a bit of tailgate drinking), to a bland, sterile experience.

Didn't have to say it , but that kind of is the reputation around the league.

no it's not. It's really only Buffalo people that think it is. Clearly this idiot Gleason has never attended a Pittsburgh v. Ravens or Browns game, or any big college rivalry games. Tonight's USC v. Stanford game, "bullsh*t" after a call against USC was clearly heard on TV. The "were such vulgar, drunk, terrible fan" segment of Bills fans need to knock it off. They are likely the same people always yelling "down in front."

With who? The press? I've talked to football fans all over the country. The vast majority of those who have been to the Ralph, said they LOVED the tailgate, fans and gameday experience. Most of those who hadn't been, said they heard it's just a crazy atmosphere (and they meant that in a good way).

I'm not saying there haven't been some unfortunate instances, of course there have. But I believe most people who go to an NFL football game prefer a raucous fanbase (and a bit of tailgate drinking), to a bland, sterile experience.

exactly. It's only the dolts who attend a live sporting event and expect it to be like watching in their family room who are put-off by crazy atmospheres that make attending games fun.

Here's the real problem with the Snooze, IMO. If the fish stinks, it usually starts with the head,,,

Sports desk:

Lisa Wilson (sports editor) 716-849-4465

Newsroom:

Mike Connolly (Editor) editor@buffnews,com

I emailed Lisa Wilson a year or two ago - and got no reply back.

no it's not. It's really only Buffalo people that think it is. Clearly this idiot Gleason has never attended a Pittsburgh v. Ravens or Browns game, or any big college rivalry games. Tonight's USC v. Stanford game, "bullsh*t" after a call against USC was clearly heard on TV. The "were such vulgar, drunk, terrible fan" segment of Bills fans need to knock it off. They are likely the same people always yelling "down in front."

exactly. It's only the dolts who attend a live sporting event and expect it to be like watching in their family room who are put-off by crazy atmospheres that make attending games fun.

You've nailed it here. Bucky is an idiot.

Fans drowning in creeks, falling from upper decks, and shooting themselves in the parking lot does spice up the game day experience.

When I first read the article, I was stunned at the arrogant obnoxiousness of Gleason's quote.

Gleason exposed himself as a small-town, small-minded writer. In his chance to talk to a big-boy paper, he got drunk with giddiness and shot his mouth off. He, in effect, made a fool of himself when he finally got to take a pretty girl to the dance. He also revealed his insecurities, because he is of Buffalo and cannot avoid trashing his own. Unfortunately, we're stuck with this little man, because no market of sophistication would be interested in him.

Shame on the Buffalo News for not demanding more thoughtful writers.