Polian Says "Colts Had a 1st Round Grade on Brady"

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time, Michigan won a lot of games no matter who was the starter.

I don't know Doc...

I do know they would not have won as many if Henson was the only QB in Brady's Sr year...I know that because I saw it...

I'm a Michigan fan and I watched the great majority of Brady's games in College...Now...I'm not going to "Polian" this and say I thought he was a 1st round pick... ;) ... But I did feel he was greatly overlooked in the Draft...Brady was pretty clutch in College...And he did hold off the #1 prospect QB in the country because quite frankly he was better...I really felt Brady was clutch...To be perfectly honest I loved him in College...And for the life of me I could not understand why he was being pushed so far down in the Draft...It's not like that was the spread-option QB era...It was still a pocket-passer game...Especially in the NFL...And even though Brady was not flashy he was big, and he got the job done...

I figured he would be a 2nd-3rd round pick...I was really hoping the Bills would Draft him...Granted that was as much about me being a Michigan fan as it was about Brady's potential...But still... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

You can't be serious here. If either of these guys knew that a franchise qb was on the board, they'd have taken them with their first rounder. Its way too risky to play the game you think they were playing.

Exactly. The belief that Belicheat knew how good Brady was and that he could get him at the end of the 6th is ridiculous on the face of it.

As for WIlson, as we know, teams were scared-off by his height because there have been no other successful sub-6' QB's in the modern era. Now you could argue Flutie, but he was bouyed by a great defense, not unlike WIlson has been.

After reading Polian's quote a bit more carefully, I'm inclined to give him a break, and chalk some of the confusion to "old age".

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/19/bill-polian-claims-he-had-a-very-high-draft-grade-on-tom-brady/

Yes, he says he gave Brady a "very high" grade and then there's the preposterous quote, "I remember us giving solid, first-round, can-lead-you-to-a-championship grades.”

But, he sort of backs off that a bit later, "I don’t remember where we ultimately put him, but it was certainly a very high grade." And I think that's probably the bottom line. They liked Brady, gave him solid marks--probably also had some concerns, which escape his memory right now. Polian show's he's a lot like me, in his recollection: The older I get, the better I was.

I don't know Doc...

I do know they would not have won as many if Henson was the only QB in Brady's Sr year...I know that because I saw it...

I'm a Michigan fan and I watched the great majority of Brady's games in College...Now...I'm not going to "Polian" this and say I thought he was a 1st round pick... ;) ... But I did feel he was greatly overlooked in the Draft...Brady was pretty clutch in College...And he did hold off the #1 prospect QB in the country because quite frankly he was better...I really felt Brady was clutch...To be perfectly honest I loved him in College...And for the life of me I could not understand why he was being pushed so far down in the Draft...It's not like that was the spread-option QB era...It was still a pocket-passer game...Especially in the NFL...And even though Brady was not flashy he was big, and he got the job done...

I figured he would be a 2nd-3rd round pick...I was really hoping the Bills would Draft him...Granted that was as much about me being a Michigan fan as it was about Brady's potential...But still... B-)

True they might not have won as many games with Henson in 1999, but that was his 2nd season. Brady himself was a backup his first 2 seasons (1996 and 1997) and when he did get to start, he took over an undefeated championship winning team and they lost 3 games.

Again my point is that while he obviously had the talent, teams didn't think he was worth more than a 6th rounder. So Polian saying he had a 1st round grade on him and not even taking him in the 5th round is specious at best.

I agree with the overwhelming sentiment that this is BS. Nobody puts a 1st Round grade on a QB and doesn't pull the trigger by the end of Round 5, no matter who their starting QB is. Did the backups on his roster have 1st Round grades/talent, as well? Doubtful. Sorry, Bill...not buying it.

Yes, he says he gave Brady a "very high" grade and then there's the preposterous quote, "I remember us giving solid, first-round, can-lead-you-to-a-championship grades.”

[/font]

This puts his remarks in an entirely different light. It is quite possible that, in terms of leadership, the Colts and other teams gave him a 1st round ranking. Scouts rate several aspects of a player's ability and leadership is one of the boxes that is checked when evaluating QBs.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't care what team it is.... If they have a "very high grade" on any position and they get to the 5th round and he's still there, they take him!!! Maybe he was off his meds and have everyone in the draft a very high grade.... Who knows

Bill Polian "I had 256 players graded with 1st round talent in that draft"

bull ****. They drafted QB Paul Miranda with the first pick of the 4th round. So they took a QB in the 4th, but someone other than the guy they graded a 1st round pick?

I may be very confused, but I don't see the Colts drafting a QB in the 2000 draft where Brady* went in the 6th, and ProFootballReference lists Paul Miranda, the Colts 1999 4th round pick, as a DB.

Still, I agree that if the Colts really had a high grade on him, why wouldn't they stock their depth at QB once he's still there in the 4th? If nothing else develop him and trade him for a higher pick once you showcase him in a late season game? I call "Shenanigans"

Again my point is that while he obviously had the talent, teams didn't think he was worth more than a 6th rounder. So Polian saying he had a 1st round grade on him and not even taking him in the 5th round is specious at best.

Yep this!

Edited by Hopeful

Yes, absolutely right. I've been saying for years that Brady is the luckiest pick in the history of the draft. Anybody that had idea that he would even be a starter, much less what he's become would have grabbed him by the 3rd round.... and even the Colts having Peyton would have grabbed him in the 4th round, if just to set up a Rob Johnson trade later...

again points to Belli's deal with beelze bub signed in blood. notice the initials match up ?

this is simply solved with suspicions and slander.

Polians dementia is acting up.

just trippin out

I remember an older interview with the old Knicks coach from the 1970's Red Holzman. "If you ask me about the past and it is about something good. Then I was for it and always was for it, and it might have been my idea. If something was bad, then I was always against it."

This seems like Polian is just trying to have an I knew it all along moment.

You can't be serious here. If either of these guys knew that a franchise qb was on the board, they'd have taken them with their first rounder. Its way too risky to play the game you think they were playing.

He didn't know he was a franchise QB (until his first pre-season, of course), but he knew other's were whiffing on him and he could be had for a bargain in the 3rd. I'm sure Carroll was happy to hear goofballs like Buddy NIix going on about how short Wilson was.

BB likely felt similarly about Brady. I wouldn't put it past BB to have been bad mouthing Brady the draft psrospect every chance he got. The NFL is notorious for faulty groupthink--not sure how anyone can debate that.

Brady couldn't even beat out the other QBs on the team to start. He just waited until they graduated. He had good stats, but no personal accolades.

..and from what I understand he was in danger of being cut by the Patriots until he stole coaching notes (a cheater from the start apparently) and then tailored his work to what he read in the notes.

This isn't true.

I am smelling bullsh*t

the more Polian talks recently, the less I believe anything that comes out of his mouth. He did a great job in Buffalo, but really, got Manning and then nothing else of consequence in Indy. Should have been able to build a more consistent contender with Manning in his prime.

He didn't know he was a franchise QB (until his first pre-season, of course), but he knew other's were whiffing on him and he could be had for a bargain in the 3rd. I'm sure Carroll was happy to hear goofballs like Buddy NIix going on about how short Wilson was.

BB likely felt similarly about Brady. I wouldn't put it past BB to have been bad mouthing Brady the draft psrospect every chance he got. The NFL is notorious for faulty groupthink--not sure how anyone can debate that.

Again, Wilson is an aberration. There hasn't been a good sub-6' QB in well over 40 years. Most teams wanted him in the 4th round but the Seahawks took him earlier and are reaping the rewards.

And no one was listening to Belicheat back then when it came to the draft, much less about QB's. No one waits until the 6th round to take a player they think will be any good unless they're injured or from a small school.