Polian Says "Colts Had a 1st Round Grade on Brady"

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know Doc...

I do know they would not have won as many if Henson was the only QB in Brady's Sr year...I know that because I saw it...

I'm a Michigan fan and I watched the great majority of Brady's games in College...Now...I'm not going to "Polian" this and say I thought he was a 1st round pick... ;) ... But I did feel he was greatly overlooked in the Draft...Brady was pretty clutch in College...And he did hold off the #1 prospect QB in the country because quite frankly he was better...I really felt Brady was clutch...To be perfectly honest I loved him in College...And for the life of me I could not understand why he was being pushed so far down in the Draft...It's not like that was the spread-option QB era...It was still a pocket-passer game...Especially in the NFL...And even though Brady was not flashy he was big, and he got the job done...

I figured he would be a 2nd-3rd round pick...I was really hoping the Bills would Draft him...Granted that was as much about me being a Michigan fan as it was about Brady's potential...But still... B-)

Exactly right. Brady was a very good college QB and he was in fact better than DH. True he was not exactly exuding athleticism but as you say he was big. Also he always had excellent intangibles and leadership skills. For Brady himself the bottom fell out when he was not taken in the third round, which is where he thought he would go. Based on what he did at Michigan I too have a hard time understanding why he was still there after the third.

Exactly right. Brady was a very good college QB and he was in fact better than DH. True he was not exactly exuding athleticism but as you say he was big. Also he always had excellent intangibles and leadership skills. For Brady himself the bottom fell out when he was not taken in the third round, which is where he thought he would go. Based on what he did at Michigan I too have a hard time understanding why he was still there after the third.

Brady got caught up in the "combine measurables" foolishness. He wasn't especially athletic and ran slowly. When evaluating qbs sometimes it is better to throw away the stop watch and the lifting scores and place value on attributes that are most attributable to success in playing the most challenging position in the game.

Players such as Erik Flowers and Maybin fly up the draft board because they train for the test and athletically are very good. That doesn't mean they are good football players.

JaMarcus Russell had a canon arm. He was lazy, not smart, very unsophisticated and had little leadership. He was the first player taken in the draft. There isn't an attribute other than arm strength and physical stature where Brady didn't demonstrably outshine Russell. I understand why Brady wasn't drafted in the first or second round. But this qb not getting drafted in the fourth or fifth round can't logically be explained.

WEO, Your claim that BB knew that his hidden prized prospect was going to be available in the sixth round makes no sense. I rarely agree with DOC but on this issue he overwhelms your preposterous idea that BB had an inkling on what he was getting and was willing to wait for the end of the draft to select their prized stealth draftee. Come on----you can do better than that!

Edited by JohnC

QB's don't fall under the "QB measurables" at the Combine, outside of height and weight. Brady was 6'4" and 211# which isn't small.

Didn't Brady do some running tests at the combine? Don't qbs also do some lifting tests. If not those tapes I have seen must be a magical illusion?

Let me refresh your memory:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25070049/look-tom-brady-was-really-really-bad-at-the-nfl-combine-in-2000

Edited by JohnC

Didn't Brady do some running tests at the combine? Don't qbs also do some lifting tests. If not those tapes I have seen must be a magical illusion?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25070049/look-tom-brady-was-really-really-bad-at-the-nfl-combine-in-2000

Brady ran no worse than Manning the year before.

I think that pretty much shows it was extremely unlikely Polian had a 1st round grade on Marcia. (That he didn't bother to draft him through five rounds is really all the proof you need.)

Athletic? Brady's career college rushing yardage is a NEGATIVE 150 yards.