Sammy - Time for this dude to start playing ball.

jumbalaya

Did you guys even watch that Monday night game and how Philly defended Jones?

Be honest.

Yes...they tried to cover him with Byron Maxwell with the occasional safety help rolled to him; apparently because giving Maxwell $63M somehow makes him capable of being a lockdown corner.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who's the #2 receiver on the Falcons? If Julio Jones is double covered and Matt Ryan throws to him anyway, it could be because Ryan doesn't have other good options. TT has a lot of other good options, including Harvin, Clay, Woods, and probably a RB and another TE. Why throw into double coverage when there's a high quality receiver open somewhere else? It could well be that TT could be giving Watkins a little more attention, because it sure looked to me that Watkins was getting open. But on any given play, it's TT's job to get the safest and greatest production he can.

One other point. Once the Bills got up 17-0, even before 24-0, they knew the game was over, and they stopped given the Patriots more looks at what they could do. I feel confident that the Bills could have kept their offense in high gear if there was a need to do so, but Roman was looking ahead. And good for him for doing that.

Yes...they tried to cover him with Byron Maxwell with the occasional safety help rolled to him; apparently because giving Maxwell $63M somehow makes him capable of being a lockdown corner.

And he wasn't even covered on two consecutive plays when the Falcons put him in motion, followed by a quick screen pass. The Falcons offense is very different than ours, but similar in that they have multiple talented weapons, mainly White and Jones. You simply can't commit a double team to one guy. You have to be more creative than that. Other teams will realize this against the Bills and Watkins will get more single coverage.

The answer is not to "just throw it up to him" unless you have a really good matchup and the QB-WR are completely in sync.

So who's the #2 receiver on the Falcons? If Julio Jones is double covered and Matt Ryan throws to him anyway, it could be because Ryan doesn't have other good options. TT has a lot of other good options, including Harvin, Clay, Woods, and probably a RB and another TE. Why throw into double coverage when there's a high quality receiver open somewhere else? It could well be that TT could be giving Watkins a little more attention, because it sure looked to me that Watkins was getting open. But on any given play, it's TT's job to get the safest and greatest production he can.

One other point. Once the Bills got up 17-0, even before 24-0, they knew the game was over, and they stopped given the Patriots more looks at what they could do. I feel confident that the Bills could have kept their offense in high gear if there was a need to do so, but Roman was looking ahead. And good for him for doing that.

Atlanta has Roddy White, who is perfectly capable of producing in his own right.

Taylor was simply finding other guys open and was either (a) instructed to take what he was given, or (b) not yet confident enough to press the ball to Sammy despite double-coverage.

We'll see how it develops.

And he wasn't even covered on two consecutive plays when the Falcons put him in motion, followed by a quick screen pass. The Falcons offense is very different than ours, but similar in that they have multiple talented weapons, mainly White and Jones. You simply can't commit a double team to one guy. You have to be more creative than that. Other teams will realize this against the Bills and Watkins will get more single coverage.

The answer is not to "just throw it up to him" unless you have a really good matchup and the QB-WR are completely in sync.

I'm not saying to "just throw it up to him"...I'm saying that they make a concentrated effort to target him even though they know that other teams are going to double him, and that I'd like to see Roman do the same with Sammy.

who's the #2 ? just some 4X pro bowler named roddy white.

I'm not saying to "just throw it up to him"...I'm saying that they make a concentrated effort to target him even though they know that other teams are going to double him, and that I'd like to see Roman do the same with Sammy.

sorry, I was referring to the other poster who implied that the Falcon's just throw it up to Julio regardless of coverage.

When they Asked Maxwell why he chose Philly he flat out said "They gave me 63MM dollars"

I'm a little late to the party. But I really had to respond to this one.

First of all, it's one game. And it happens to be a game that we won big.

So complaining on a player's usage is absolutely pointless - unless the argument is about fantasy instead of real life.

This team is built to win. Not put up gaudy numbers.

Fans need to realize a few things:

1) It's not all about statistics. Being able to draw double-coverage is significantly contributing to the team. Several All-22 reviews showed that Watkins drawing extra coverage contributed directly to Percy Harvin's touchdown catch - as well as Robert Wood's 3rd down catch directly before it.

2) Our team is loaded. There is NO WAY that every single offensive player is going to contribute heavily each week. You will probably see 2-3 guys put up numbers each week, and the rest will not. Especially for receivers on a run-heavy team. Teams are going to have FITS trying to handle all of our weapons every week.

3) Quarterback play does matter. How many top WRs in the league have a below average QB. That's what Sammy dealt with ALL of his rookie season. He still almost broke 1,000 yards.

4) Taylor threw a total of 5 incomplete passes the entire game. Sammy was targeted on 3 of those, and none of them were remotely catchable.

Don't blame Sammy blame the bills for not trying to figure out creative ways to get him the ball. Look at Julio Jones in Atlanta, he was lining up all over the field catching bubble screens hooks digs go routes etc. Sammy should never have a game where he registers 0 catches again. Planning on using Sammy as a decoy (which last year's coaches did numerous times, and roman did last week) is a recipe for failure over the long term

Exactly!

Then they should apply to be a coach so they can implement their beliefs. But our current coach is 1-0 so I'm not sure how that record can be improved upon.

ah, so you are of the "he won 1 game, so you cant question anything that happened or discuss places we could find ways to win more games" variety.

its almost like theres not even a reason for you to talk at that point, since youve decided theres no discussion to be had.

Edited by NoSaint

Guys here is what happened...

The Bills jumped out on the Colts so there was no need to dive deep into the playbook.

Rex stated that the gameplan for the Pats* has been in place for a while.

Rex didn't want to give too much away when the win was in the bag.

Book this:

Sammy will have over 100 yards and at least 1 td against the Pats*. He will be a focal point of the passing game.

Yes I am willing to make a friendly wager on this. Name your terms.

Fine line here. You don't want to force the ball to him. But you don't want to force ball to Gronk, Megatron, Dez, Jordy, or Julio Jones either. Yet they all get many more targets. Sammy is a weapon. He needs to be used as such. Good things usually happen when the ball is near your best player.

I hope we see a few max protect pass plays that give Tyrol a few home run options. If they are not there he can run.

Open up the playbook for both Taylor and Sammy.

Just watched the all-22 for the first quarter. For that quarter, at least, he was single-covered by Vontae Davis on all but one play (where he split the seam on a zone and was wide open...but Taylor had to run for his life and dumped it off.) And Vontae Davis did a very good job in coverage, too.

Still have to watch the last 3 quarters...but Watkins went up against a guy who might be the best corner in the league. So yeah, let's panic.

This isn't correct. We didn't "give up" 2 first round picks. We gave up one and used the other to move up. Gave up two as you said implies the Bills lost 2 first round picks which is completely untrue.

We gave up one, and spent another. Sammy's price was two first round picks.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

You are totally right! For the life of me I can't understand why Watkins didn't draw up more throws to himself when he was designing last week's game plan. Or why he didnt just throw the ball to himself more often on Sunday. These stupid homers just dont get it, great football minds like you and I know that Watkins sucks. He better turn it around toot sweet, or we are gonna run him out of town on a rail! !

Yep. Your exactly the guy I'm talking about.

Last ten regular season games - 30 catches and 2 TDs. Those are numbers for a 4th round pick, not a guy that cost two no. 1's. Outside of an 84 yard bomb ten games ago his average per catch is below average. Only one game with more than 4 catches.

He is starting to look like the second coming of Lee Evans, not Andre Reed.

The excuses are getting old too:

1. He was covered by one of the best corners in the league

2. He was double covered.

3. He is hurt.

4. He had Orton throwing to him.

5. He has Taylor throwing to him.

6. He is a better decoy.

7. Rex likes to run.