Leodis Update: Activated to the 53 - CB or Safety?

26CornerBlitz

I think we are going to see a LOT less signing of free agents and more of resigning our own over the next couple of years.......Whaley said as much.

IMO these things are going to happen

- Mario Williams and Clay are going to get restructured

- We are going to resign Gilmore, Bradham, Cog, and possibly Harvin

- Glenn is going to allowed to walk in FA....he appears to have hit his celing and is now regressing......

- TT is going to show over the course of this season that he is our QB of now and the future....I am not sure where that leaves EJ Manuel (Im not trying to turn this thread so please do do so guys!)

In the draft we will

- Take either a LT or C with our first pick.....we are going to be drafting in that area where quality OL will be available....and I hear that this is a good draft for OL

- 2nd round pick.......this will be interesting....I definately think we will go with BPA.....but will that be a coverage linebacker? A safety?

- Third round.....OL

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that that is typically a difference. But in terms of just straight up dollars, why spend so much money on keeping a top-tier CB if I have a very good chance to replace him with a rookie at a fraction of the price?

If you look at the CB's that have been drafted in the first round too, it is a position that has much less bust potential than other positions. I would rather take Gilmore's money and invest in at the QB, D-line, and LB positions. Regardless, I don't think they can pay him and Darby to second deals, so maybe they take a run at him, and if he doesn't re-up, they look to extend Darby in a few years.

JR I suggest you ask the Jets how they feel about Paying Revis premiere money. and i dont mean to compare Revis and Gilmore as much as how teams can value the CB position. : )

I think we are going to see a LOT less signing of free agents and more of resigning our own over the next couple of years.......Whaley said as much.

- Glenn is going to allowed to walk in FA....he appears to have hit his celing and is now regressing......

- TT is going to show over the course of this season that he is our QB of now and the future....I am not sure where that leaves EJ Manuel (Im not trying to turn this thread so please do do so guys!)

In the draft we will

- Take either a LT or C with our first pick.....we are going to be drafting in that area where quality OL will be available....and I hear that this is a good draft for OL

- 2nd round pick.......this will be interesting....I definately think we will go with BPA.....but will that be a coverage linebacker? A safety?

- Third round.....OL

Not a bad method of thought John!

I agree that that is typically a difference. But in terms of just straight up dollars, why spend so much money on keeping a top-tier CB if I have a very good chance to replace him with a rookie at a fraction of the price?

If you look at the CB's that have been drafted in the first round too, it is a position that has much less bust potential than other positions. I would rather take Gilmore's money and invest in at the QB, D-line, and LB positions. Regardless, I don't think they can pay him and Darby to second deals, so maybe they take a run at him, and if he doesn't re-up, they look to extend Darby in a few years.

Gilmore has been excellent. If we can re-sign a difference maker at a reasonable price, we should do it. It's particularly important for Rex's defense. Should Gilmore choose to walk for more money elsewhere, we have to let him go. Whaley can be trusted to find new talent, but great teams also find a way to retain their homegrown talent.

In the draft we will

- Third round.....OL

People have been a little too hard on Glenn this year. He has been good. Others have said Glenn will get overpaid somewhere to be their LT. That may be the case, and we would have to let him go if it is, but if he signs a reasonable contract to stay with us, we should keep him around too. Much more so than CBs these days, OTs have been largely bad in their first year+ it seems. I don't trust Kudo and Seantrel just yet to man the ends yet.

Gilmore has been excellent. If we can re-sign a difference maker at a reasonable price, we should do it. It's particularly important for Rex's defense. Should Gilmore choose to walk for more money elsewhere, we have to let him go. Whaley can be trusted to find new talent, but great teams also find a way to retain their homegrown talent.

People have been a little too hard on Glenn this year. He has been good. Others have said Glenn will get overpaid somewhere to be their LT. That may be the case, and we would have to let him go if it is, but if he signs a reasonable contract to stay with us, we should keep him around too. Much more so than CBs these days, OTs have been largely bad in their first year+ it seems. I don't trust Kudo and Seantrel just yet to man the ends yet.

I am not sure if your line of thinking is leading to not resigning Gilmore....but I am about 90 percent sure that will not happen.

When you following Rex Ryan's track record on defense.......he needs quality corners to make it work......and he absolutely loves Gilmore

We wont be able to sign everybody.....which is why I really feel we will draft O linemen (in Glenn's rookie year he was a very good LT....althought if they go OL what you would probably see is S. Henderson at LT and the rookie at RT.....then switch them in the next year)

I am not sure if your line of thinking is leading to not resigning Gilmore....but I am about 90 percent sure that will not happen.

When you following Rex Ryan's track record on defense.......he needs quality corners to make it work......and he absolutely loves Gilmore

We wont be able to sign everybody.....which is why I really feel we will draft O linemen (in Glenn's rookie year he was a very good LT....althought if they go OL what you would probably see is S. Henderson at LT and the rookie at RT.....then switch them in the next year)

I am saying we re-sign Gilmore - he is great and crucial for Rex's defense - with the exception being some other team offering him wayyyyy more $. Perhaps like Byrd, where we give him a good offer, but the Saints gave him way more than he was really worth so he left. It's hard to say what overpaying for his talents would be, but I do believe we will do everything in our power to retain him.

In the draft we will

- Third round.....OL

Not so sure about Bradham.

He was a big disappointment in Pettine's D and I don't think he's greatly endeared himself to the current coaching staff with his play.

I think Rex might prefer some more instinctive/cerebral types in his LB and safety corps.

As we've seen, that's where the mistakes-to-be-made are in Rex's defense and it's why he wanted those type of players in NY.

Even if it meant starting Jim Leonhard.

What's good about Rex's D is that it doesn't require elite talent outside of the cornerbacks.

What's not good is when 2/3 of your salary cap is tied up in elite defensive talent that AREN'T cornerbacks. :lol:

Fortunately those checks haven't had to be written at CB but the talent is there.

Otherwise this would be a COMPLETELY bass ackwards situation.

If McKelvin can return and Darby continues all year at this rate, IMO it's a blessing. You can then extend McKelvin at a cheap rate, trade Gilmore for a 1st round pick, and have a lot of room to sign Bradham, Glenn, Incognito, and Tyrod (hopefully)

Darby becomes #1,McKelvin #2,and Roby slot locked up for years.

There is no way you get anything close to a 1st round pick for Gilmore . He is not a superstar in the league. McKelvin might be less expensive to extend or re- sign due to his age. The Bills will have to make some decisions as they will not be able to keep everyone.

I have never been a fan of re-signing high priced CB's.

I feel like CB is the one position where the FA price is over-inflated, and you can get a good CB in the first two rounds that can step in immediately and play with a small learning curve. Darby is a great example of that, though he has far exceeded expectations.

I would let Gilmore walk when he is a FA and draft a CB in the first round maybe the year before he becomes a FA to try to replace him.

That's because we have had good ones for a while. Bills fans never appreciate them.

McKelvin in the last couple of years has shown the ability to make INT's although Darby has done some of that, our alleged #1(gilmore) has only a few picks in all his years as a Bill (maybe 2, not sure)

11 (2,0,2,1,1,1,4) picks for 114 yards and 1 TD for McKelvin in 7 years.

8 (1,2,3,2) picks for 113 yards and 0 TD for Gilmore in 4 1/4 years.

Not so sure about Bradham.

He was a big disappointment in Pettine's D and I don't think he's greatly endeared himself to the current coaching staff with his play.

I think Rex might prefer some more instinctive/cerebral types in his LB and safety corps.

As we've seen, that's where the mistakes-to-be-made are in Rex's defense and it's why he wanted those type of players in NY.

Even if it meant starting Jim Leonhard.

What's good about Rex's D is that it doesn't require elite talent outside of the cornerbacks.

What's not good is when 2/3 of your salary cap is tied up in elite defensive talent that AREN'T cornerbacks. :lol:

Fortunately those checks haven't had to be written at CB but the talent is there.

Otherwise this would be a COMPLETELY bass ackwards situation.

Ironically, Kiko would be a great linebacker in this scheme from a mental standpoint. Probably too light in the ass for Rex though.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I am not positive that Leodis is a safety

Arent safeties required to be heavy hitters along with coverage as well?

He'd definitely need to be a Free Safety, staying deep and following up on coverages.

The question, to me, is what do you feel worse about: Graham and Duke or Graham and Leo?

He'd definitely need to be a Free Safety, staying deep and following up on coverages.

The question, to me, is what do you feel worse about: Graham and Duke or Graham and Leo?

If our secondary is:

CB: Gilmore, Darby

Nickel: Robey

SS: Graham

FS: McKelvin

I'd be pretty fine with it