Not Impressed With Roman Today

K-9

K-9, let's revisit this after next week. I have thought even before this game that the Patriots would have only one game of film on this Bills offense with TT and all of our guys, but that the second game we would have a completely different style than we did the first game. That remains to be seen. You could be right. I'm counting on Roman being pretty smart. I have thought since the spring that he was the biggest change and upgrade of them all.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

K-9, let's revisit this after next week. I have thought even before this game that the Patriots would have only one game of film on this Bills offense with TT and all of our guys, but that the second game we would have a completely different style than we did the first game. That remains to be seen. You could be right. I'm counting on Roman being pretty smart. I have thought since the spring that he was the biggest change and upgrade of them all.

Good purnt. Roman turtling and messing with Belicheat? We're simply not used to thinking of our coaches in those terms. :ph34r:

Good purnt. Roman turtling and messing with Belicheat? We're simply not used to thinking of our coaches in those terms. :ph34r:

There is virtually no other explanation for the complete absence of short throws to Watkins.

Roman is a brilliant OC, he's proven that time and again in both the college and pro ranks. I don't question his bona fides at all. I just disagreed with his philosophy today. I fully expect him to show things NE**** hasn't seen before, too.

GO BILLS!!!

It was time to grind out a few first downs on the ground, and Cordy had 2 holding calls on back to back series making it a 20 yard first down. Not going to happen very often on the ground. That's not on the OC, it's on the LT.

The alternative philosophy, and there are arguments for either:

If you want to burn time- don't shut down your offense and continue to convert first downs with a full playbook.

Agreed. Reminded me of the Jets games last year.

I was going to mention my own frustration after that one.

I don't feel near as frustrated today (not frustrated at all really) but get how K9 would have some of those same sentiments. I'm at least hanging my hat on seeing a lot of talent and some creativity, unlike that day offensively where it was scoring despite deficiencies all over the place

Edited by NoSaint

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

The players lost intensity, looked like they were doing a walk through once they got to 24, didn't help that refs were trying to keep them in the game

If you want to burn time- don't shut down your offense and continue to convert first downs with a full playbook.

I don't feel near as frustrated today (not frustrated at all really) but get how K9 would have some of those same sentiments. I'm at least hanging my hat on seeing a lot of talent and some creativity, unlike that day offensively where it was scoring despite deficiencies all over the place

I guess my issue is that it drives me crazy when an offense is clicking and then way too early they go into a shell, and it lets the other team into the game, especially because it stops your momentum. In this case, however, we were playing conservative the entire game and choosing our shots to go downfield. The TD was (IIRC) the only long pass of the game outside of the fairly long pass to Watkins which was after the OP thought we started getting conservative. I didn't think we went into a shell or changed our philosophy ALL that much even when it was 24-0. We were pretty conservative the entire game, and a few times when it was, say, 3rd and long, the guys I watch the games with were saying, okay lets get 6 yards and kick a FG.

I actually agreed with the approach in both cases. K-9 makes some good points about confidence and stepping on the throat, but I think getting out of there showing as little of the playbook as possible has its own merits. Makes for a little more boring game, but we don't have a Brady where running up the score doesn't have negatives.

Wow. I really disagree. Sammy becomes a problem only if the offense is being stymied, which they weren't. I never knew of we were going to run or pass. We had no turnovers. He didn't ask Taylor to do too much and yet wasn't overly conservative. He spread the ball around. He used three RB and six receivers. We averaged 6.2 yards a play.

Good point and very refreshing after Marrone and Hackett.

Glad we won and all, but Roman neutered our offense most of the afternoon. Got the impression he didn't have confidence in Taylor nor was I impressed with his schematic designs. Got way too conservative way too early. No excuse for not targeting Sammy more than one or two times as well. Glad our defense rose to the occasion because, based on one game, I'm not sure Roman can go out and win a game with the mentality he showed today.

GO BILLS!!!

This is what happens when you value your fantasy league more than your actual team. Coming here and having to read this post after such a standout win is embarrassing.

I guess my issue is that it drives me crazy when an offense is clicking and then way too early they go into a shell, and it lets the other team into the game, especially because it stops your momentum. In this case, however, we were playing conservative the entire game and choosing our shots to go downfield. The TD was (IIRC) the only long pass of the game outside of the fairly long pass to Watkins which was after the OP thought we started getting conservative. I didn't think we went into a shell or changed our philosophy ALL that much even when it was 24-0. We were pretty conservative the entire game, and a few times when it was, say, 3rd and long, the guys I watch the games with were saying, okay lets get 6 yards and kick a FG.

I hear you. Until the harvin throw did any go more than 5 yards downfield? The score into and out of halftime is always a huge swing and we got it today. Made for a day without a lot of pressure.

I'm happy with the performance, but willing to have the talks about next steps. Very curious to see how things will format next week,

It's called game planning.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

It's called going into a shell with a decent lead. It happens in many other sports, especially hockey. It's not necessarily wise but to say that Roman didn't have confidence in Taylor is ridiculous. He certainly had confidence in him while he was building the lead.

My largest complaint was that if you took out the long runs by McCoy and Williams, our yards per carry were right around or under 2.

Also with 3 turnovers we basically tied ToP. Obviously this is linked to above and being able to run the ball consistently.

If you take out common sense that makes sense!

This is a great point. We just haven't had that level of coaching here in a long time.

Keeping Luck off the field was the staff's #1 priority, and it worked well.

It's called going into a shell with a decent lead. It happens in many other sports, especially hockey. It's not necessarily wise but to say that Roman didn't have confidence in Taylor is ridiculous. He certainly had confidence in him while he was building the lead.

I don't agree with K-9 on this particular day, but I totally agree that it is a big flaw when an OC becomes overly conservative way too early. If it happens again soon then yes it could be a concern. I don't think he made a mistake this game like K-9 thinks. But it's just an opinion.