Pats are ruining love of NFL

Cal Bill's Fan

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheating will continue and nothing will be done about it. It really is sickening.

I will say though that as long as Belichick & Ernie Adams are at the helm, they will always be a top tier team. It's a plug and play system, even at QB. Brady would not be a HOF QB if it weren't for Bill & Ernie. If Brady retired tomorrow, they would still win 10+ games with Jimmy G and get back to 11-13 win seasons once he gets more experience in the system.

this. take away the cheating and every other team in the league should be copying them on every aspect especially in trying to find an ace head coach. the real question is why aren't they? are they really the only organization capable of pulling it off?

While I believe the obstruction of our investigation into under-inflated footballs during last season's AFC Championship game warranted punishment for the New England Patriots and Tom Brady, that incident does not provide any credible evidence of a pattern of subverting NFL rules by the Patriots or any other team.

You're assuming that it has to be a compromise of the wireless channel, though. True if it's point-to-point...but if there's any sort of intermediate base station or hub or router, all you have to compromise is that. Then I suppose it could be very easy do to things like route the radio broadcast to the away team's headset channels (in addition to the transmitting truck). Of course, then you could do things like route the away team's headsets to Ernie Adams, and not have to steal signals...

Point being, though, that there's other, and probably easier, points of vulnerability than the wireless connection.

Hubs and routers can be encrypted as well. We used them in the military. Every single point of a comm system can be locked and someone MUST try to get in. It isnt a random thing. There is no way that the radio broadcast goes through any point of a secure closed looped system without someone trying. My absolute point is someone gained access one way or another. This **** doesnt just magically happen. I dont drive down the road listeninh to 96.9 and all of a sudden 107.1 shows up on that frequency rain or shine. Edited by billsfan_34

this. take away the cheating and every other team in the league should be copying them on every aspect especially in trying to find an ace head coach. the real question is why aren't they? are they really the only organization capable of pulling it off?

I keep mentioning that I wonder if other teams have decided to use balls inflated to the minimum PSI. With all the supposed advantages (I don't know if they are true or not), wouldn't every team make that change? Easier to catch, less fumbles....

I keep mentioning that I wonder if other teams have decided to use balls inflated to the minimum PSI. With all the supposed advantages (I don't know if they are true or not), wouldn't every team make that change? Easier to catch, less fumbles....

not what I meant but you knew that

Seriously? I think that former is pretty d*@n low as accusations go.

Bridge. Troll. Under.

Huh? I've been on here since the 1990's. Kelly sat out a game (Collins led us to a win over Dallas) and Bruce may have as well

Edited by Adam

I am an avid Bills fan. I am also a fan of the pro game. It is a priviledge to watch the excellence in the play of Brady and Gradkowski.

I don't hate any team. That is so juvenile. At this point we are not rivals to the Pats because for the past generation we couldn't seriously compete against them. Hopefully, that will change.

Gino or Bruce? I don't want to be a Negative Nancy but I don't think either of them are all that and a bag of chips at their respective positions and anyway, what's this got to do with the Pats***?

At this point they have gotten into everyone's head. They're like, well, everyone thinks we cheat anyway, so let's give them even more to think about. It reminds me of Gaylord Perry going through that elaborate routine of touching his cap, ear, cheek, jersey before every pitch. Then when the umpire comes out to take a look, they can't find anything on him. And the story of former Chargers coach Harland Svare yelling at a light fixture in the locker room, "Damn you, Al Davis, I know you're in there!"...and then when reporters asked Davis about it, he just chuckled, said, "the thing wasn't in the light fixture, I'll tell you that," and walked away.

Shame on Mike Tomlin and the rest of us for not seeing this coming.

not what I meant but you knew that

? Paranoia.

I wasn't trying to twist your words. I'm just mentioning that I would think teams would adapt that part of how the Patriots approached PSI. I'm not exonerating them, I'm pointing out that lower PSI leads to leas fumbles, the every team should be using balls as the lowest allowable PSI.

(Work on your syntax)

Edited by HoF Watkins

The judge forcefully ruled and rebuked the league's position against Brady and the Pats. Get over it. As far as the issue of the malfunctioning headsets it is the league that controls that communication, not the home team.

I don't care what the prevailing view is on this issue or any other issue. I'm capable of thinking for myself. Being obsessed over the importance of under inflated or over inflated balls and its impact on performance and outcome of a game is silly. Loud ad naseum complaining about inconsequential issues doesn't make them consequential.

The Bills have lost to the Pats somewhere in the range of 90% over the past generation. It has nothing to do with the opposition nibbling around the rules. It shouldn't be too difficult to digest the points that better talent and better organizations usually triumph over mediocre talent and organizations.

Taking care of one's own business is more productive than whining over trivialities that involve other teams.

the judge did not even come close to ruling on whether or not Brady/Pats deflated the balls...and you know that. I am sure you will use some 10 cent words to show your intellectual process in your reply, but the fact remains he did not rule on whether or not Brady cheated.

In regards to the bold....Explain to me then WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH THEY DO IT???? God, if Belicheck is such a freaking genius do you really believe he would do something and spend time on something that gave them no benefit? They both cant be true now can they.,

Like i said earlier, its some perverse joy you and Watkins get out of posting here. I am fairly certain you two have some twisted back stories

The Pats* are like that kid you never wanted to do business with in the school yard. A kid always scheming and trying to get something for nothing even if it means being a dick and !@#$ing people over. It sucks because the whole league has to deal with this **** whereas you could at least avoid dealing with that type of kid.

In regards to the bold....Explain to me then WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH THEY DO IT???? God, if Belicheck is such a freaking genius do you really believe he would do something and spend time on something that gave them no benefit? They both cant be true now can they.,

This may not be exactly what you're asking, but....it's entirely possible for someone to genuinely have the talent and drive to legitimately succeed but to be driven to skirt, stretch, bend, and break the rules (cheat). IMHO that is the sort of dynamic at work with Belicheck*** and Brady***. I can't explain "why" though. It's one of those mysteries of human psychology. Well established that it happens in all sorts of endeavors, though.

If your not cheating, then your not trying hard enough :censored:

The Commish burned the tapes when there was an actual senate investigation ongoing, and now when he wants to make them pay for continued cheating he can't as the league won't allow it.

Lets face it, the league isn't going to tarnish their shield no matter what.

Tom Brady won't play forever...

the judge did not even come close to ruling on whether or not Brady/Pats deflated the balls...and you know that. I am sure you will use some 10 cent words to show your intellectual process in your reply, but the fact remains he did not rule on whether or not Brady cheated.

Like i said earlier, its some perverse joy you and Watkins get out of posting here. I am fairly certain you two have some twisted back stories

How do you know Belichick had anything to do with it? I think it was all Brady, who liked to have a better grip, and didn't think he would get in much trouble for such a minor indiscretion, if he was caught.

And again I ask, if it really cuts down on fumbles and is easier to catch, why haven't teams throughout the league switched to the lowest allowable PSI for their balls?

Edited by HoF Watkins

If your not cheating, then your not trying hard enough :censored:

The Commish burned the tapes when there was an actual senate investigation ongoing, and now when he wants to make them pay for continued cheating he can't as the league won't allow it.

Lets face it, the league isn't going to tarnish their shield no matter what.

Tom Brady won't play forever...

Well, Tom Brady won't be playing forever, but the real master mind behind the cheating - Ernie Adams - probably not going away anytime soon.

This may not be exactly what you're asking, but....it's entirely possible for someone to genuinely have the talent and drive to legitimately succeed but to be driven to skirt, stretch, bend, and break the rules (cheat). IMHO that is the sort of dynamic at work with Belicheck*** and Brady***. I can't explain "why" though. It's one of those mysteries of human psychology. Well established that it happens in all sorts of endeavors, though.

Thank you...and i am not quite familiar about the concept you mention. I just cant see how in one breath you acknowledge they skirt/break the rules, next breath say Belicheck is a genius, and in next breath say that said skirting/breaing of rules has no impact on game. It just makes no sense.

If skirting/breaking the rules had an impact on one play, just one play in the Ravens game what happens? If during the Spygate years...if Pats win 10 more plays a year that they would have lost...and lose a game or two more and homefielld is affected...guess that does not matter.What if that one game puts Pats as a 3 seed instead of 1 or two? And yes, we all know 10 plays a year could mean that much. And after all, Belicheck himself according to lore says it helped maybe 1%...well if thay ran 1000 plays that year, 10 plays would be about 1%

I absolutely believe Belicheck is a genius, best coach of all time. Thats why i also think these things matter...he is way to smrt to waste time on trivialities and expose himself and his legacy on worthless endeavors.

How do you know Belichick had anything to do with it? I think it was all Brady, who liked to have a better grip, and didn't think he would get in much trouble for such a minor indiscretion, if he was caught.

And again I ask, if it really cuts down on fumbles and is easier to catch, why haven't teams throughout the league switched to the lowest allowable PSI for their balls?

What...who says they haven't?

in case you missed it..deflate gate was not because the balls were at the lowest allowable limit...it is because they were BELOW the limit...Is that really hard to comprehend?

And deflate gate is just one of several incidents...why you all can not take these things as a whole rather than isolated incidents is beyond me.That is where the venom comes from, the smugness of pats fans and that organisation pretending Pats won with talent, and all of these incidents of cheating just mean nothing...cause they say so!

Reminds me of when a WR gets held on a timing pattern, and refs say no PI cause ball was un-catchable. Maybe it was uncatchable cause WR could not get there as he was being held.

Edited by plenzmd1

Thank you...and i am not quite familiar about the concept you mention. I just cant see how in one breath you acknowledge they skirt/break the rules, next breath say Belicheck is a genius, and in next breath say that said skirting/breaing of rules has no impact on game. It just makes no sense.

If skirting/breaking the rules had an impact on one play, just one play in the Ravens game...during the Spygate years...if Pats win 10 more plays a year that they would have lost...and lose a game or two more and homefielld is affected...guess that does not matter.What if that one game puts Pats as a 3 seed instead of 1 or two? And yes, we all know 10 plays a year could mean that much

I absolutely believe Belicheck is a genius, best coach of all time. Thats why i also think these things matter...he is way to smrt to waste time on trivialities and expose himself and his legacy on worthless endeavors.

What...who says they haven't?

in case you missed it..deflate gate was not because the balls were at the lowest allowable limit...it is because they were BELOW the limit...Is that really hard to comprehend?

I see, so it's only effective if it's LESS than 12.5 PSI... effing ridiculous!

"You gotta get it down to 11.0, and then the magic kicks in, Tom" - Bill Belichick to Tom Brady

I hope the Bills are using the low PSI.... Wawrow, get on it!

I have inquired, and no one seems to have any answer, but I'm guessing that teams haven't. I would think it would be a common question posed to coaches this season.

Edited by HoF Watkins

you know as well as anyone that the judge didn't rule on his cheating.

The case is closed. The judge slammed the door on the league and forcefully rebuked the league for its foolishness. If you are waiting with great anticipation that a farfetched appeal by the league and the inept Roger will change the outcome of the initial ruling then go ahead and wait with great anticipation.

If you believe that the Pats cheated and got away with and you can't accept that reality then go ahead and continue to believe what you want. If that rocks your boat then keep rocking. The end result is not going to change. I'm not going to change your mind and you are not going to change my mind.

When you reach a dead end and don't accept that it is a dead end then be prepared to be stuck where you are. The reality is not going to change no matter how much you want it to be so.

I'm more concerned with how TT is going to play. That is an issue that will impact the Bills---not this trivial "air" issue. The distinguished judge in this case made a determinatin with clarity, force and indignation. You may be into BS but he wasn't.

"you know as well as anyone that the judge didn't rule on his cheating."

The judge ruled on that which he was supposed to rule. The case is closed.

Edited by JohnC

I see, so it's only effective if it's LESS than 12.5 PSI... effing ridiculous!

I hope the Bills are using the low PSI.... Wawrow, get on it!

I have inquired, but no one seems to know, but I'm guessing that teams haven't. I would think it would be a common question posed to coaches this season.

are you really this hard headed.

the freaking rule is the ball can not be inflated under 12.5...period!

Deflategate says the Pats intentionally went below that. Period!

what part of that is lost in translation?

The case is closed. The judge slammed the door on the league and forcefully rebuked the league for its foolishness. If you are waiting with great anticipation that a farfetched appeal by the league and the inept Roger will change the outcome of the initial ruling then go ahead and wait with great anticipation.

If you believe that the Pats cheated and got away with and you can't accept that reality then go ahead and continue to believe what you want. If that rocks your boat then keep rocking. The end result is not going to change. I'm not going to change your mind and you are not going to change my mind.

When you reach a dead end and don't accept that it is a dead end then be prepared to be stuck where you are. The reality is not going to change no matter how much you want it to be so.

I'm more concerned with how TT is going to play. That is an issue that will impact the Bills---not this trivial "air" issue. The distinguished judge in this case made a determinatin with clarity, force and indignation. You may be into BS but he wasn't.

John, simple yes or no.One word answer please

Did the judge rule whether or not Brady was"generally aware the balls had been deflated"?

That's one of your more disingenuous posts. Thanks for the smile. The judge ruled the NFL screwed up. Which they did. You're seemingly incapable of seeing how two things can be simultaneously occurring. And for someone who seems like a pretty intelligent guy, your harping on the fact the NFL is often wrong and goes too far so it eliminates the fact of what Brady and the Patriots did was worse is ridiculous. They cheated. Everyone but you and Pats fans and a few other misguided souls see it clearly. Just because Goodell is an idiot doesn't negate the cold hard facts. Brady cheated and lied and destroyed evidence. There isn't really any question about it.

Well, we could start by assigning a guy to cover him. The steelers didn't even make it that far

Steelers are bad on D. Bills are good on D. Don't take much from that game. Brady will make some throws. He's good. But they will get him to him and play press coverage. Totally different from the Steelers approach. Watch how fast Luck will be needing to get rid of it.

I'll repeat what I told Kelly the Dog. The appellate judge ruled on what he was supposed to rule on. The league and Roger Goodell were forcefully rebuked for bringing this absurd case to his court room. In his scolding of the league and Roger he made it abundantly clear that their unethical and incompetent behavior was not to be tolerated.

You can believe whatever you want to believe regardless of the court ruling. That is your prerogative. If it makes you happy then be happy.

I'll repeat what I told Kelly the Dog. The appellate judge ruled on what he was supposed to rule on. The league and Roger Goodell were forcefully rebuked for bringing this absurd case to his court room. In his scolding of the league and Roger he made it abundantly clear that their unethical and incompetent behavior was not to be tolerated.

You can believe whatever you want to believe regardless of the court ruling. That is your prerogative. If it makes you happy then be happy.

you a funny guy..incapable of answering a simple yes or no question.

? Paranoia.

I wasn't trying to twist your words. I'm just mentioning that I would think teams would adapt that part of how the Patriots approached PSI. I'm not exonerating them, I'm pointing out that lower PSI leads to leas fumbles, the every team should be using balls as the lowest allowable PSI.

(Work on your syntax)

yes, because ?paranoia is so much more grammatically correct. changing the pressure below a predetermined threshold is breaking the rules just as is filing down the grooves on my gap wedge deeper than a defined depth (i would never do that!). sports rules aren't relative except apparently, in the case of the patsies*.

That's one of your more disingenuous posts. Thanks for the smile. The judge ruled the NFL screwed up. Which they did. You're seemingly incapable of seeing how two things can be simultaneously occurring. And for someone who seems like a pretty intelligent guy, your harping on the fact the NFL is often wrong and goes too far so it eliminates the fact of what Brady and the Patriots did was worse is ridiculous. They cheated. Everyone but you and Pats fans and a few other misguided souls see it clearly. Just because Goodell is an idiot doesn't negate the cold hard facts. Brady cheated and lied and destroyed evidence. There isn't really any question about it.

Brady swore in court that he did not instruct anyone to lower the PSI levels below the legal limit. I believe him--you don't. It's as simple as that. I have also stated from the first reporting of the the inflation matter that I considered it to be inconsequential to how it relates to player performance and outcome of any game. You don't accept that point. You have treated this issue as if it were an existential moral issue. I have treated it as a trivial BS issue. We simply disagree of the scale of this issue.

You can be perturbed all you want about how this issue evolved and went down. The judge made a decisive ruling. You can accept it or not. How you handle the outcome is your choice.

Edited by JohnC

Brady swore in court that he did not instruct anyone to lower the PSI levels below the legal limit. I believe him--you don't. It's as simple as that. I have also stated from the first reporting of the the inflation matter that I considered it to be inconsequential to how it relates to player performance and outcome of any game. You don't accept that point. You have treated this issue as if it were an existential moral issue. I have treated it as a trivial BS issue. We simply disagree of the scale of this issue.

You can be perturbed all you want about how this issue evolved and went down. The judge made a decisive ruling. You can accept it or not. How you handle the outcome is your choice.

last post, and i am out. You use the court ruling as some sort of defacto argument that the judge ruled Brady did not know the balls were deflated. Lets even say that is the case.which its not, but you will not answer.

We also have the last 15 years of allegations against the Pats..you and your ilk to argue they are so great that the minor rule breakages do not matter.

Others argue the Pats are great because of the minor rule rule breakages.

here is the title of the thread

Pats are ruining love of NFL

For the last 15 years, the Pats have been accused of skirting/breaking the rules...and guys like you and Watkins appear to agree they do.

if your own owner and coach say Spygate affected 1% of their outcomes...and that translates to 10 plays a year they gain a distinct advantage...do you argue that as trivial?

You argue Belicheck is heads and shoulders above his brethern(which i agree with), but in the same breath argue he spends time and effort on trivial activities that matter not to the outcome of the game?

Nonsensical, and you know it.

Thats whay the Pats are sapping the joy out of watching games...this is not pro wrassling...if people are convinced they cheat, it takes away the joy and fun of competition on an even playing field

Edited by plenzmd1

are you really this hard headed.

the freaking rule is the ball can not be inflated under 12.5...period!

Deflategate says the Pats intentionally went below that. Period!

what part of that is lost in translation?

yes, because ?paranoia is so much more grammatically correct. changing the pressure below a predetermined threshold is breaking the rules just as is filing down the grooves on my gap wedge deeper than a defined depth (i would never do that!). sports rules aren't relative except apparently, in the case of the patsies*.

The hard-heads are you guys.

Let me lay it out for you.

People are claiming that a softer ball is easier to catch, and easier to hold on to. Regardless of what the Patriots did or didn't do, it would stand to reason that, if a softer ball is easier to catch, and easier to hold on to, then teams would want their balls at the minimum LEGAL PSI.

And if many teams have in fact changed to the lowest possible PSI, there should be a significant drop in the number of fumbles this season, no?

In fairness to John and HOF the "the judge didn't rule on whether they cheated" is a nonsensical argument and entirely misunderstands law. A judge has no jurisdiction to rule on whether the Patriots cheated. That isn't a point of law. Judges rule on points of law.

Whether the Patriots and particularly Tom Brady cheated or not is for the NFL disciplinary process to rule on. Any sports league is entitled to set up its own disciplinary process in order to preside over matter pertaining to that league and its players. The only legal requirements is that the process is lawful, clearly expressed and then followed to the letter.

The judge ruled that the NFL did not follow its own due process as set out in its own rules. That is a point of law. On that basis the ruling of the NFL disciplinary committee is quashed because it was made without due process making it unlawful. That does not mean that the judge doesn't think the Patriots cheated... frankly he doesn't need to care whether they cheated. He just needs to care about whether the disciplinary process was lawfully exercised.

Essentially there is now no substantive finding of guilt against Tom Brady and for that reason those who believe in his innocence are totally justified in doing so. What I will say, however, is that just because the NFL overstepped its own powers in respect of the process under which Brady was disciplined does not mean that he is not guilty of cheating. The two issues are separate. So whether Brady did it or not remains unresolved..... but it is not accurate to pretend that the NFL's judgement that he did still remains in place because that judgment was reached unlawfully.

In fairness to John and HOF the "the judge didn't rule on whether they cheated" is a nonsensical argument and entirely misunderstands law.

I'm not really involved in the discussion about the judge's decision (I haven't fully read the comments in this thread regarding that).

I believe that the Patriots cheated, I just don't think it's a big deal. Spy Gate was, Deflate-gate isn't.

Edited by HoF Watkins