Spygate to Deflategate-inside what split NE and NFL apart

YoloinOhio

HGH does it for a lot of guys - as in a large percentage of the league's players. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if over half of the Bills used it. It's really good for repairing minor muscle tears, which football players are subject to on a near-daily basis. There's a reason they don't test for it, you know. The league knows it would have to suspend something like half of players in the NFL.

The league pushed for tests for 2 years, and the players were the ones dragging their feet.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly... They still have to execute. Plus, the opposing team still has players that are pretty good too. So, they don't win every game; they don't know every single opposing play; they don't have a guaranteed win. And that's precisely why you get the morons that claim it's not that big of a deal. Because it didn't help this time or that time.

But what so many people tend to forget is ...cheating is cheating. They have taken extensive measures to gain an unfair advantage by bending and violating the rules. The fact that players are suspended for acts completely unrelated to the play on the field and Brady isn't suspended for cheating in the game itself is a slap in the face to every fan of the game, past and present. Belicheck should get a life time ban and the team barred from the playoffs for a decade. Instead they're celebrated as a champion... Its sickening.

Pete Rose was banned for life for betting on his own team, even though there is no evidence he ever fixed a game he bet on. Here we have a team deliberately trying to gain an unfair advantage and people shrug their shoulders?

Does it tick anyone else off that the Patsies** are now rubbing our nose in it by trying to get the 2 deflators re instated?

The nerve of these cheaters knows no bounds.

They're rubbing Goodell's nose in it. Since it was the Patriots that suspended them, not the league.

Do visiting teams really leave their first 20 scripted play sheets unattended in the Gillette (or any away stadium) locker room? I thought they were so paranoid of mics in their locker rooms they wouldn't even talk in there at half time.

I think the story is that the Colts coaches and officials were in the locker room when the play sheets were stolen right out from under them. The thieves were wearing hoodies with "Not Patriot Employees" written in black magic marker on them so the Colts brass never suspected them. Kind of like the dude who was caught with weed by the cops with this in his car...2640073C00000578-2975998-image-a-4_14253

I think the story is that the Colts coaches and officials were in the locker room when the play sheets were stolen right out from under them. The thieves were wearing hoodies with "Not Patriot Employees" written in black magic marker on them so the Colts brass never suspected them. Kind of like the dude who was caught with weed by the cops with this in his car...2640073C00000578-2975998-image-a-4_14253

Yeah it sounded pretty far fetched.

Pete Rose was banned for life for betting on his own team, even though there is no evidence he ever fixed a game he bet on. Here we have a team deliberately trying to gain an unfair advantage and people shrug their shoulders?

That adds some perspective.

I also think that Pete has served his time and then some.

Did he ever bet against his team?

Betting is a big time no no in baseball with good reason after the Black Sox scandal. He knew that yet did it anyway. He got what he deserves.

There are people who have killed others who have served less time.

It just seems excessive if he was betting on his own team.

There are people who have killed others who have served less time.

It just seems excessive if he was betting on his own team.

Doesn't seem obsessive to me or MLB for that matter. Seems about right.

Not sure what the state of murder sentences in America has anything to do with it.

He knew them and chose to violate them. It wasn't like Tommy where he didn't know that deflating footballs would cause a suspension (according to Judge whats-his-face). The gambling rules in baseball are clear.

Edited by reddogblitz

No. I don't think there is any evidence that he bet against his team. He bet on them to win every time. Some people think that it doesn't make a difference. Betting is betting and gambling is gambling. I don't think so personally. I think it makes a big difference.

What do the rules of baseball say about it?

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES
Rule 21

MISCONDUCT

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

Congratulations to the MLB for enforcing their rules.

Edited by reddogblitz

What do the rules of baseball say about it?

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES
Rule 21

MISCONDUCT

(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

It doesn't matter what the rules say. Everyone knows that you cannot bet on baseball. No one is arguing that. What IS arguable, however, is whether there should or shouldn't be a difference. Not in the rules but in whether or not, say, he belongs in the Hall of Fame. I think a lot of people, myself included, who believe he should be in the Hall would think no frigging way if he bet against his team and threw games.

It doesn't matter what the rules say. Everyone knows that you cannot bet on baseball. No one is arguing that. What IS arguable, however, is whether there should or shouldn't be a difference. Not in the rules but in whether or not, say, he belongs in the Hall of Fame. I think a lot of people, myself included, who believe he should be in the Hall would think no frigging way if he bet against his team and threw games.

What part of "permanently ineligible" do you not understand?

No. I don't think there is any evidence that he bet against his team. He bet on them to win every time. Some people think that it doesn't make a difference. Betting is betting and gambling is gambling. I don't think so personally. I think it makes a big difference.

As long as he didn't bet on them to lose, I have no problem with him betting on his team or baseball games in general.