Sooooo....3rd string QB?

Virgil

Are we not going to sign one? We got T-Mobile who's never started an NFL game before and seems to like to run the ball. And we have EJ who can't stay healthy for a full season. I'm all for having 2 QB's if I have guys who've proven something, but this seems a bit risky.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will probably have to trade for someone else's 2nd or 3rd guy if Tyrod gets hurt. There have to be a few teams with quality QB depth (quality backups, not quality starters on the bench I realize). To say it would be over automatically if both QBs went down, given the makeup and approach of this team, is not correct. An argument could be made for any number of guys out there, and a lot of them would have similar odds of success as Tyrod Taylor or EJ Manuel. I really do like Tyrod's chances, because he's been brought up to a starting role the right way, and seems to have a great attitude, like EJ. Roman is capable of positioning either one of them to be successful.

It looks like the biggest names out there are:

Matt Cassel

TJ Yates

Rex Grossman

Christian Ponder

Others:

Tim Tebow

Matt Flynn

Josh Freeman

Thad Lewis

It is interesting that teams that picked up QBs bypassed these name guys and signed/claimed Logan Thomas (Miami) and Stephen Morris (Eagles). My guess is that for #3s the teams are looking for developmental players for the league minimum. The first 4 above are most likely looking to be backups and earn more.

If the Bills want to carry 3 QBs and could sign Yates or Ponder for $1-1.5 million, then I'm good with that. A lot of people figured Simms for the practice squad but the whole argument for keeping Cassel was that you wanted some insurance if your 2 unproven, developing QBs failed or got hurt. If that's the reason, the practice squad QB makes no sense. Therefore, if you want a 3rd QB as insurance then you sign one of the first 4 guys. The bottom 4 are listed mostly for illustrative purposes to show how shallow the available QB pool is right now. No way I want any of them.

Probably best for the Bills to find a player who played QB in college like Gray who plays another position and make him emergency QB.

Couldn't Gray he that guy?

Who's out there?

If it gets down to our 3rd string guy, we're screwed. Might as well play whatever scrub we got and draft Cook next year.

What happens if we're 8-4 when it happens? Still wanna tank the season for what, the 12th pick in the draft? If Cook is as good as you say he'll be long gone.

Given TYrod running (he did take a couple of shots in PS), EJ's injury history in 2013, and us having the talent to really make a run at this thing, I would hate to just cross our fingers in regards to 3rd string even if it costs a little cash and a roster spot.

I would like to see us go after Kellen Moore, Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, or Josh Johnson.

Edited by reddogblitz

Are we not going to sign one? We got T-Mobile who's never started an NFL game before and seems to like to run the ball. And we have EJ who can't stay healthy for a full season. I'm all for having 2 QB's if I have guys who've proven something, but this seems a bit risky.

Did you watch any of the preseason games? I thought TT actually did a good job of staying in the pocket unless there was a catastrophic break down in protection.

Edited by Meatplow

What happens if we're 8-4 when it happens? Still wanna tank the season for what, the 12th pick in the draft? If Cook is as good as you say he'll be long gone.

Given TYrod running (he did take a couple of shots in PS), EJ's injury history in 2013, and us having the talent to really make a run at this thing, I would hate to just cross our fingers in regards to 3rd string even if it costs a little cash and a roster spot.

I would like to see us go after Kellen Moore, Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, or Josh Johnson.

Idk...I wanted them to keep Cassel.

I think they should pick up Shane Carden now. He's a homeless, street-beggar's Brett Favre.