Starting CB Opposite Gilmore While McKelvin Out

I doubt he will get that much time to throw. Darby may be a question mark, but the D-line is not.

Exactly. The Colts o-line has looked rough. We will be able to run the ball on them all day and keep Luck off the field. Only Bills fans would be so quick to write off a rookie. Darby will be fine.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if darby plays cb , we lose both games.

he ain't making it as a corner. he will be switched to safety next year.

for this season, you play graham at cb.

darby will be the worst db on the team. better hope he doesn't get on the field.

I usually like your analysis but I think you're off on this, p-zoid. Darby is a man corner who can mirror the fastest wideouts. He's having issues with technique and timing, not unlike McKelvin in years past. His skill sets do not translate to safety (which requires vision and anticipation). If he washes out at corner (and I'd give him at least a couple years before coming down so heavy handed), he ain't making it as a safety. I'm pretty confident Rex will scheme around any perceived weakness here.

Edited by Lothar

Darby might be the only healthy DB on our roster that can run with TY. I think that is a major reason Rex will stick with him.

in the Steelers game last week, Bills were jamming Antonio Brown at the line and had another defender about 5 yards behind. I think they will do the same with TY. They will not stop the passing game completely. It is what makes Luck so good. The Bills need to score points themselves and sustain drives to limit Colts possessions. It's not all on Darby and the corners here. Luck is who he is for a reason. They can hopefully slow him down. Edited by YoloinOhio

in the Steelers game last week, Bills were jamming Antonio Brown at the line and had another defender about 5 yards behind. I think they will do the same with TY. They will not stop the passing game completely. It is what makes Luck so good. The Bills need to score points themselves and sustain drives to limit Colts possessions. It's not all on Darby and the corners here. Luck is who he is for a reason. They can hopefully slow him down.

Speaking of which, TY is a guy idt you can bump and run. Like that article from the other day you posted, the new rules are aiding smaller, quicker receivers. I wonder if Donnie Henderson is teaching the "slide and skip" technique?

I hope continuoisly mix their coverages. To me, they have a better chance of throwing luck off for an extra second by disguising the secondary in hopes our DL can get there. I doubt we'll see the straight man, cover 0 we saw so much of during preseason

If Luck throws for 350 and 3 TDs I still feel like the Bills win this one.

As long as Taylor is merely a middle of the pack QB with above average ball security, with the skill personnel on this offense and a middle of the pack OL, 30 pts plus a game should be the norm.

This team is stacked. The days of worrying about one weak link are over, methinks.

It always cracks me up that every single poster on this board forgets that Robey is our best freakin corner.

Not one single mention of his name in this thread, but he is our 2nd cb w leodis out. Hes mr invisible i guess, except for the payroll dept who pays him $2m per year (he signed a 2 year $4m extension recently) and the coaches who know we cant beat indy or NE without him.

It always cracks me up that every single poster on this board forgets that Robey is our best freakin corner.

Not one single mention of his name in this thread, but he is our 2nd cb w leodis out. Hes mr invisible i guess, except for the payroll dept who pays him $2m per year (he signed a 2 year $4m extension recently) and the coaches who know we cant beat indy or NE without him.

oh....so Robey is covering the outside?

No....Robey is in the slot and blitzing.

Right now Darby is a major liability as a starter. I believe those running the show realize this and will not keep him out there if he doesn't quickly improve and show some consistency. His only consistency thus far has been as a liability. Yes, he's a rookie who was a high draft pick, but we're not in desperation mode.

Silver lining is Gilmore will get to show if he can be Gilmore Island and be worth the big pay day he wants.

250? More like 350.

Over under on when Gilmore gets burned and subsequently injured?

Darby might be the only healthy DB on our roster that can run with TY. I think that is a major reason Rex will stick with him.

Didn't Ron Brooks have like 4.34 or 4.38 speed?

Over under on when Gilmore gets burned and subsequently injured?

Is the new expectation that our guy never gets beat, ever?

Of course he'll get burned. It's a passing/QB driven league after all, what else would you expect?

The trick is does he get burned less than the other corners in the league, and subsequently does he limit his guy to less than his APG?

Is the new expectation that our guy never gets beat, ever?

Of course he'll get burned. It's a passing/QB driven league after all, what else would you expect?

The trick is does he get burned less than the other corners in the league, and subsequently does he limit his guy to less than his APG?

Dont care he gives up an occasional play. I care that when it happens... he gets hurt... or stays down after said play.

If Luck throws for 350 and 3 TDs I still feel like the Bills win this one.

As long as Taylor is merely a middle of the pack QB with above average ball security, with the skill personnel on this offense and a middle of the pack OL, 30 pts plus a game should be the norm.

This team is stacked. The days of worrying about one weak link are over, methinks.

30 plus PPG?? That would make the Bills one of , if not the highest scoring team in the NFL. That's not going to happen with a "merely middle of the poack QB".

Webster for the win! I think robey is the best as well. Darby is getting beat 10 yards downfield, there is no "safety help" for him.

Robey for Leo any Sunday of the season.

Exactly. The Colts o-line has looked rough. We will be able to run the ball on them all day and keep Luck off the field. Only Bills fans would be so quick to write off a rookie. Darby will be fine.

Only a Bills fan would say that a rookie CB who had an iffy preseason would be fine against a QB who is among the best out there.

Darby is bound to get beat throughout the year. After this preseason, I wonder how long it takes for ppl to start calling for his head. I actually think he matches up quite well with TY.

Robey on the outside is an interesting idea.

I must have missed the calling for his head posts. Concern about a rookie CB whose first 2 assignments will be Andrew Luck and tom brady isn't a bad thing.