Bills cuts - round 2

YoloinOhio

As much as i dislike his "Trent Edwards" style of safe pass play he is still a veteran QB for the young guys to lean on, and over 50% of the teams lost their starters last season at some point. so, its good to have that veteran presence, experience available should they need it.

I just wonder if its Cassel or EJ that is second on the depth chart. I'm thinking EJ.

Right but what I don't understand is the veteran presence piece. Even if TT is hurt, wouldn't he offer that veteran opinion from the sideline? You said it yourself, EJ might be 2. Is Cassel's expertise from the sideline more beneficial than another WR, TE or special team player? Idts

Vic Carucci said EJ took the 2nd team snaps at practice today. On a day where the team cut down to almost 53 and likely began their season prep in earnest, that speaks volumes. Cassel may be the #3.

I don't seem them spending 5 mil on a third stinger

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but what I don't understand is the veteran presence piece. Even if TT is hurt, wouldn't he offer that veteran opinion from the sideline? You said it yourself, EJ might be 2. Is Cassel's expertise from the sideline more beneficial than another WR, TE or special team player? Idts

I don't either. But to me, EJ has to be the #2. If Taylor is the starter and gets injured in game, the game plan is neutered if Cassel steps in instead. He is not at all mobile, which completely changes the offense. At least EJ leaves that threat to the defense. And he can still accomplish any designed runs Roman implemented that week.

I don't either. But to me, EJ has to be the #2. If Taylor is the starter and gets injured in game, the game plan is neutered if Cassel steps in instead. He is not at all mobile, which completely changes the offense. At least EJ leaves that threat to the defense. And he can still accomplish any designed runs Roman implemented that week.

Exactly. The entire game plan that week would be lost

Hogan has proven himself in real games. To cut him and keep rookies who have no more than flashed would have been stupidity. He and Goodwin are still vulnerable though... if they keep Thigpen as a WR and returner.

I do not think it is stupid but chancy. Sometimes chances need to be taken but is this one of them?

You can only take so many chances bucking odds can only be done so many times before it burns you; for a team which expects itself to be in playoffs this year I am not sure it is a good chance.

Richardson and Cockrell were both really bad picks in the draft. Cockrell has already been cut, and I think Richardson is not far behind.

I think it is unrealistic to think that every 4th and 5th round picks are going to pan out. I don't think cutting those two is any indictment on the Bills' drafts

That's what the QB coach, OC are for.

I wouldn't think they'd pay anything for a first or second "stinger", either, much less a third. Play football long enough, you can get one for free :devil:

Look at it this way. Taylor has been in the league 4 years, but his game-day experience is miniscule. You can watch all the film you like, but it's not the same as being on the field with the bodies flying. That's why to some people, Taylor is a risk. He's unproven - showed well in preseason, lots of potential, but unproven.

So even if he's absolutely hot stuff, game ready, "all that and a bag of chips", there may still be value in having a guy with a lot of playing time under his belt. Look at the Colts - they have Luck, there's never been any question he's starting, and yet for the last 3 years they've been paying Matt Hasselbeck an average of $3.3M a year to be the steady vet at his side.

The last couple of years, the Phins have been paying Matt Moore for the same purpose - in 2014, they paid him $5.5M as the backup per overthecap.

I wouldn't think they'd pay anything for a first or second "stinger", either, much less a third. Play football long enough, you can get one for free :devil:

Look at it this way. Taylor has been in the league 4 years, but his game-day experience is miniscule. You can watch all the film you like, but it's not the same as being on the field with the bodies flying. That's why to some people, Taylor is a risk. He's unproven - showed well in preseason, lots of potential, but unproven.

So even if he's absolutely hot stuff, game ready, "all that and a bag of chips", there may still be value in having a guy with a lot of playing time under his belt. Look at the Colts - they have Luck, there's never been any question he's starting, and yet for the last 3 years they've been paying Matt Hasselbeck an average of $3.3M a year to be the steady vet at his side.

The last couple of years, the Phins have been paying Matt Moore for the same purpose - in 2014, they paid him $5.5M as the backup per overthecap.

In 2014 he was paid 4m, you are looking at cap hit.

And if he were our #2 I might entertain the argument but at 3? Nope.

That's what the QB coach, OC are for.

The OC needs to focus on how the game plan is working out and what adjustments might be needed. He doesn't have time to "offer veteran opinion" to the QB and may not have any QBing experience from which to offer veteran opinion. This is the first place Marrone and Hackett went wrong with EJ, trying to have the OC do it all.

The QB coach, maybe, but if he's a guy like David Lee, whose experience playing stopped as the QB of Vanderbuilt U, mightn't there be significant nuances of playing QB in the NFL that he can't offer veteran opinion about 'cuz he doesn't know 'em?

As I've said elsewhere, paying a vet significant bucks is a choice some teams with more established young QB (Luck, Tannehill) have continued to make. Even the Seasnakes have TJax.

The OC needs to focus on how the game plan is working out and what adjustments might be needed. He doesn't have time to "offer veteran opinion" to the QB and may not have any QBing experience from which to offer veteran opinion. This is the first place Marrone and Hackett went wrong with EJ, trying to have the OC do it all.

The QB coach, maybe, but if he's a guy like David Lee, whose experience playing stopped as the QB of Vanderbuilt U, mightn't there be significant nuances of playing QB in the NFL that he can't offer veteran opinion about 'cuz he doesn't know 'em?

As I've said elsewhere, paying a vet significant bucks is a choice some teams with more established young QB (Luck, Tannehill) have continued to make. Even the Seasnakes have TJax.

I just can't understand the idea that his opinion is work 4.5 million. If he is in fact 3, it'd be an extremely rare occasion he'd be needed on the field. Leaving his only reason for being there his opinion?

If he is number 2, I get it.

If he is number 3, I don't.