Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these being done for cap carryover purposes for next year? IE, we are under the cap xxx dollars this year and carry that over above the cap next year when we have big contracts due?

Since when is it so bad to have a "boring" QB? As long as he leads the team to wins, who cares? I hope Taylor works out, but who do you want under center with the Bills going into the last 5 minutes with a 7 point lead. Unproven QB play(Manuel/Taylor) or Mr. Boring?

I'm sick of watching this team lose for the last 15 years. I don't care if the QB play is exciting, boring, or anything in between...as long as the QB play is good enough to generate WINS.

Except he isn't safe and boring. He has the same tendencies as those players but also throws bad iinterceptions. Not a good combo. If you are going to throw Int's at an above average rate, you better make it up somewhere else and he clearly doesn't.

If Tyrod is injured do we really want EJ as the QB of this team ?? This would be a financial decision not a football decision. EJ is just scary bad out there.

I used to think the same thing and told myself 14 games and only 2 years in the league. He is on year 3, and many QBs make the leap. After watching his recent play he is beginning to do that. Pocket awareness much better, buying time in the pocket much improved--shifting or stepping into the pocket, setting his feet huge improvement, and let me tell you watching him live , the kid has a cannon for an arm. And lets not forget he is extrememly mature and a good team player. EJ sticks Cassel goes because he has a noodle arm that wont cut it in Buffalo.

Please cut Cassel and sign Dareu$$

^this^

You're the troll. You've bashed everyone but EJ and get upset that EJ didn't get the starting nod.

Me not a fan of Cassel or EJ, actually thought the best QB won the job. As far as backups go, neither Cassel nor EJ is a good fit and would force changes to the offense. More protection for EJ and shorter/quicker routes for Cassel. Either way it would allow teams to stack the box more. I am a fan of getting rid of both of them as they both have too much down side and getting someone else as backup. They are both too expensive as backup options.

It's also possible the Bills are saying this to drive up the trade requests on EJ or Cassel.

Really? With EJs long ball capability, the defense is going to be able to stack the box more? LOL! I suppose that EJ's performance is just a preseason aberration and he'll go back to slow eyes and scanning only half of the field, right?

And with EJ's cap consequences, I rather doubt it makes financial sense to cut him. And really? $1.4 Million or whatever is too expensive for a backup?

Dude, I realize you have a giant harddon for getting rid of EJ, but you're going to have to try a little harder than this. But maybe, if you bang that drum just a little harder and a little faster, you might get your wish after all.

Edited by BuffaloBob

Sorry guys. Matt Coller says EJ is who he is going to be because he's 25 and analytics says that, except for a few outliers, all athletes are who they are going to be at 25, so forget about EJ. And because of two games out of the 14 he started were really bad, he just will nver be a guy you can rely on and the fact that he couldn't beat out Tyrod and Cassel, he's never going to be more than he is.

Oh and his improvement this year is marginal, but not enough to make him better than Cassel. So all of us morons who don't understand analytics, too bad and so sad.

I wonder how old was Aaron Rodgers before he became a starter?

You know, I don't want anything bad to happen to Tyrod and I hope he does well. BUT, if EJ does for some reason get a chance to play this season, I hope he crams a game ball right up the proverbial rectum of the local media with his play.

I heard Carucci on Freddie Coleman last night. EJ couldn't put it together. Struggled in practice and he wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing somewhere else this year. Me conceded he improved some, but not enough to matter. He made not ONE mention of the fact EJ nailed it in the preaseason. Not one mention that he made the most of his opportunities and literally out-produced the other two guys in the three games.

I so want to see these eat crow. The only hater in the local media that had the grace to at least give the kid the credit he deserves is Joe B. Tyler Dunne, Coller, Carucci, et al. Are still beating the drum.

Coach Sal was trying to convince Simon and Coller that he improved but they weren't hearing it!! This comes from a guy that was at every OTA/practice.

Really? With EJs long ball capability, the defense is going to be able to stack the box more? LOL! I suppose that EJ's performance is just a preseason aberration and he'll go back to slow eyes and scanning only half of the field, right?

And with EJ's cap consequences, I rather doubt it makes financial sense to cut him. And really? $1.4 Million or whatever is too expensive for a backup?

Dude, I realize you have a giant harddon for getting rid of EJ, but you're going to have to try a little harder than this. But maybe, if you bang that drum just a little harder and a little faster, you might get your wish after all.

BB, I want EJ to succeed so bad, but isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? The myth of the "EJ Long Ball" is starting to gain traction.

Edited by stony

Tyrod : 40 yard dash = 4.51 s , Vertical Jump = 37.5 in, Broad Jump = 126 in, 3 cone drill = 6.78 s, 20 yard shuttle = 4.09s

EJ : 40 yard dash = 4.65 s , Vertical Jump = 34.0 in, Broad Jump = 118 in, 3 cone drill = 7.98 s, 20 yard shuttle = 4.21s

Those are some big differences in speed and agility between the two.

Not so bad seeing there's a 30 lb difference

Cassel 40 yard = 4.78 vertical - 34 Broad = 115" 3 cone = 7.2 20 yard = 4.06

On the face of it, looks like Cassel is better from an agility standpoint than EJ and in fact on 20 faster than TT.

This was 10 yrs ago!!

BB, I want EJ to succeed so bad, but isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? The myth of the "EJ Long Ball" is starting to gain traction.

I'm not sure what you are asking me. I was responding to a previous post that suggested that Cassel and EJ are both not good backups to TT, because it will require a change in the offense that would benefit the defense. In EJs case, he was claiming that its because you need to provide more protection for EJ then Tyrod requires, and therefore that somehow allows the defense to stack the box. I was simply pointing out the fact that because EJ seems to have finally found the formula for getting the ball down the field, that this makes no sense. He will stress the secondary and will PREVENT them from moving up, sitting on short routes and stacking the defense. Moreover, EJ showed much improved pocket awareness and mobility in the pocket, so I don't buy the idea that we'll have play two tight ends and a fullback to protect EJ.

They're pretty close when it comes right down to it. Kyle Orton's 59.5% career completion percentage compared to Cassel's 59.0%. QB rating of 81.2 compared to 80.1. Orton was marginally better, but it's not like we're comparing Peyton Manning to Joe Flacco.

ya nice overstatement, not you but the guy saying its not even close, looks pretty close to me.

I wonder how old was Aaron Rodgers before he became a starter?

Coach Sal was trying to convince Simon and Coller that he improved but they weren't hearing it!! This comes from a guy that was at every OTA/practice.

Rogers turned 25 in December of his 1st starting season...Manuel turned 25 in March...

I want to preface this by saying I'm really excited about TT...I hope that kid tears it up...I never really expected EJ to get the start to begin the season...I do however think he should be the backup this year...I think it's smart to keep him tapped in to Roman as much as possible...

I find it a little depressing almost that this whole EJ thing has made me not want to listen to WGR a week before the regular season...I love this time of year and want to hear as much about the Bills as possible...

So now they have Sal...The one guy in there that actually has some real football knowledge...telling them EJ is improving...A fact that to me truthfully seems pretty clear...I mean...I remember what EJ looked like in preseason last year under the college guys...He certainly does not look that way this year...And even with Sal's blessing it's not enough for a guy like Coller who obviously knows better because he ran a QB algorithm... :lol:

Sometimes I guess you just have to laugh... B-)

Averaging 12 yards per attempt over three different games will do that.

his deep ball has been consistently good through TC and the PS games. That is one thing he had done well consistently according to all sources. And frankly it's encouraging. Last year though he always had a big arm, he just couldn't connect with Sammy enough to pose a deep ball threat.