GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

That attitude from Coller and others comes from being on the radio and feeling like you have to express bold, definitive opinions. After all you are on the radio. You must be an expert.

And OC made this point eloquently, that they're is a hive mentality among the media. A pressure to not go against your fellow reporter. If a veteran like Carucci says Cassel is your starter, then who are you to disagree. Instead you start "reading the tea leaves" to find "proof" that Carucci is right. ("Cassel played two series, just like Roethlisberger, ergo... ")

What kills me is the wilful blindness to what is actually happening in the field. Both Tyrod and EJ could not have played any better, but the Bills media can barely allow that to alter their narrative.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyway...I think that whole post-game attitude was about Coller's inner EJ hate coming to the surface...He really did want TT to win the job...Or maybe more specifically he wanted anyone but EJ...I actually like Coller when he talks about hockey...I don't think he's got a half-a-clue about NFL football though... B-)

The thing in the post-game show though was he didn't just not want to hear people who thought EJ should start he didn't even want to listen to people who were ringing to say they did not see any way that Tyrod was behind Cassel. He just didn't want to hear an argument that wasn't "Cassel is ahead in this competition." He would just say things like "Listen.... I want Tyrod to start but it is obvious to me that they are going with Cassel but fans need to stop kidding themselves and start reading the tea leaves. Cassel played the fewest snaps, just like Big Ben. He is the starter."

It was infuriating.

Edited by GunnerBill

How do he figure EJ lost those games by himself?? I have to ask myself as a reporter what was he watching? Didn't he see Corey Liuget and JJ Watt ABUSING the offensive line. Didn't he see the coaching staff ABANDON the run game in Houston when the RBs were averaging 4 yds a carry? Didn't he see receivers drop passes that could have extended drives? There seems to be an Anti-EJ sentiment over there. Was it brought on by Joe Buscaglia while he was there and spread throughout the radio station? They're, to me, like Fox News. I listen just to see what type of tomfoolery they'll come up with, then I turn them off.

He literally said as much this am...

"I don't need EJ Manuel coming in and playing games like he did against SD and Houston...And sorry if I don't believe him throwing a few TD's vs a Pittsburgh team that was really indifferent...that doesn't make me think he'll be much better...He was behind the other two in camp...I don't think they need the cap room for anything...At this point what do you need it for? You're not signing up for 10 years of Matt Cassel...It's just this year..."

"With EJ Manuel I think there is a good chance that he comes in and throws the game away...that you lose the game because of him...Which is what happened...OK the Chargers game...they were beating them...But that Texans game...that was their's...The reason they lost that game is because the QB played SO badly..."

He literally said as much this am...

"I don't need EJ Manuel coming in and playing games like he did against SD and Houston...And sorry if I don't believe him throwing a few TD's vs a Pittsburgh team that was really indifferent...that doesn't make me think he'll be much better...He was behind the other two in camp...I don't think they need the cap room for anything...At this point what do you need it for? You're not signing up for 10 years of Matt Cassel...It's just this year..."

"With EJ Manuel I think there is a good chance that he comes in and throws the game away...that you lose the game because of him...Which is what happened...OK the Chargers game...they were beating them...But that Texans game...that was their's...The reason they lost that game is because the QB played SO badly..."

He is completely ignoring that The Bills coaching and OL last year were inept. The coaching on this staff is vastly superior, as is the talent.

He is completely ignoring that The Bills coaching and OL last year were inept. The coaching on this staff is vastly superior, as is the talent.

Exactly...

Like I said before...On one hand they praise Roman's offense and his coaching ability...On the other hand they don't think EJ can get any better under him...It literally makes zero sense... B-)

Speak for yourself...

Sorry upfront for my frustration...But...Good grief...What is wrong with people like you?... Can you not clearly see the difference good coaching has done for EJ? I mean...You obviously can remember the bad things EJ did...Why can you not, for a second, consider the possibility that the light has gone on and he's going to continue on the path of reaching his potential under REAL NFL coaching?...It may be preseason but it's preseason for everyone...and there are only 4 QB's with a better QB rating than EJ this preseason...their names are Stafford, Bradford, Ryan, and Brees...

This instant gratification mentality is a joke...If you're going to cast away a young QB like EJ before his prime in a QB needy league you do so at your own risk...At this point EJ is clearly getting better when the likes of RGIII, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, and Weeden fall...Did you see Derek Carr last night? Young QB's make dumb decisions...It happens...It's part of the learning process...Andrew Luck was the the next coming...His rookie year was not great by any means...Every QB is different and to think you can simply use the same formula for evaluating QB's, or make absolute judgements after only 14 starts is ridiculous...EJ's career beginning is almost identical to Ryan Tannehill...The difference between the two is that Miami had patience, while EJ was coached and handled by morons...How is that not understandable? His former HC and OC could barely get jobs in the NFL after they left...EJ looks like a completely different QB now...Coincidence? Come on...

All this is not to say that EJ will ever reach his potential...But it's WAY too early to be making that judgement...That much seems so crystal clear to me...

For the record I would probably start TT if I was Rex...But I would be getting EJ ready...He's still a real young QB leaning a new system...I just think he needs to get this entire offense down under Roman...And I would be patient...I think the Bills can win with TT...But they could be really, really dangerous if EJ continues to improve and gets in there in the second half of the season...

Anyway... B-)

THIS ^^^^^^^^ a thousand times THIS :thumbsup:

You see, now that would have been funny.

How about

WE

Guess it's Cassel

Regardless of the facts

I think the bigger problem at GR is just the complete lack of intrest that the Hosts of the afternoon show have in learning football. Outside of jeremy white, whose opinion I don't always ( read hardly ever agree with) and Sal, they seem to be almost willfully ignorant about sports. AND Analytics. If I felt so inclined I could demonstrate why, in about 5 minutes why his( mike Schopp) NEVER punt theory is ridiculous and wrong on so many levels. But it would be a waste of time, Since he's convinced he's the smartest guy in the room. He's also convinced he's right.

Apparantly he dosn't understand that the Patriots going for 4th and 3 from the Miami 15 when they are up 10 is not the same as the bills going for 4th and 3 from thier own 5 against the Seattle Seahawks when they are down 10. AND thats the simplest scenario, factor in weather, o line vs dline runningbacks, and on and on and on... but I digress..

Because of thier complet lack of football understanding they rely too much on beat reporters and other experts like John clayton, who by the way was WRONG about who the Bills would start. ( by the way Clayton being wrong about stuff is not breaking news) Joe B has had it in for EJ since thye picked him and Adam Beanbag from Wgrz also has been trying to thorw dirt on EJ since before the season started. I think Coller is just the latest victim of the "group think" "herd mentality" over there.

Generally I only listen to hear facts, ( which are bloddy few and far between) if its just callers calling in, or a Movie draft or other such foolishness I mean really can you imagine listening to a real radio like mike n mike or the show with phil sims, tuning in and hearing a movie draft? SERIOUSLY? I think they'd laugh at these guys, bunch of a buffoons.

Edited by hullhawk

Schopp is equating EJ Manuel to Matt Flynn!! SMH!!

It never ends with that bunch...

Like I said before...Not really sure what EJ Manuel did to these guys...But it must have been something really bad....

Or...maybe...It's simply a case of these idiots being caught up in what I'll call the "Russell Wilson Syndrome..." I'll define the RWS as the belief that any prospect QB will be able to show definitively whether or not they will be a Franchise-type QB within their 1st 16 starts...And...If they do not show this ability quickly any and all improvements after the first 16 starts will be considered too little too late...The RWS does not take into consideration coaching, supporting cast, play calling, or the ability to run the ball...It's a gut feeling your get by scientifically using the eyeball test and a mixture of the finest tea leaves... B-)

Anybody catch the dust up between Coller and Tim Graham this morning?

To recap, Coller called out Graham this morning on his reporting of Whaley "going rogue" and apparently TG took exception to it. He started this crusade on Twitter accusing Coller of falsely claiming that he played college baseball, which he did, and has been very open about his limitations in the sport. Really went after him.

Anybody catch the dust up between Coller and Tim Graham this morning?

To recap, Coller called out Graham this morning on his reporting of Whaley "going rogue" and apparently TG took exception to it. He started this crusade on Twitter accusing Coller of falsely claiming that he played college baseball, which he did, and has been very open about his limitations in the sport. Really went after him.

Dennis Miller would say of Timmah, "If he were any more thin skinned, he'd have a reservoir tip."