GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

Greggy, I listened to the the first hour of the morning show today, and I guess the first 20 minutes of Matthew at 12 just now on demand. I did not hear the post game and it was not in in demand.

He clearly stated over and over he wanted TT this morning, but that he thought the Bills would go with Cassell and laid out why he thought that to be the case. He said he prolly did not do a good job of explaining that post game.

Then the first 20 minutes today at noon he says he read the situation wrong , he was wrong , and he is excited TT staring.

I don't like the guy either.. But more so from the fact he is always the guy who has absolute moral outrage over things ... But i get he's young and learning. He is trying to be Jeremy instead of Matthew as well which drives me nuts.

But for PTR to send that tweet and then post here like " look how much smarter I am than him" I just think is small.

I get this is the only only all Bills all the time, but they gots to make money too, and in a small market you need guys who are young and work "on the cheap" to make that work.

I listened to the whole post game...Every minute...No question he stated he preferred TT while predicting it would be Cassel...Which in almost any circumstance would be fine...

But he took it to another level...IMHO, in his own condescending fashion, he was basically calling out anyone who saw the Bills QB situation any different than it had been reported by WGR...I just felt after listening to him that he was pissed off that anyone would have a differing opinion, especially if they felt EJ deserved a shot...He just came across to me as someone who was unwilling to see the other side of the argument and was verbally frustrated about he fact that he was getting calls that disagreed with his take...

That was just my take on the situation... B-)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody see the wgr poll today? Apparently 57% think Cassel should have won the job, with 20 supporting TT and 21% supporting EJ. So only 1 in 5 agrees with this decision?

Does anybody think they would fake the poll somehow?

Anybody see the wgr poll today? Apparently 57% think Cassel should have won the job, with 20 supporting TT and 21% supporting EJ. So only 1 in 5 agrees with this decision?

Does anybody think they would fake the poll somehow?

Yep. No way that's the case if TBD did a poll...at least, I hope not.

I'm all for criticizing these guys heavily.

If they can over-analyze every practice pass, then we can certainly blow up their crappy predictions. Like an eye for an eye.

Predicting Cassel to be the starter after watching all the performances is bad....if you REALLY watched all of the performances.

We

Guess

wRong

:thumbsup:

Greggy and KOKBILLS, thank you for the replies. I guess the post game was awful, and I did not hear it. Sounds like I may have a differnt take if I did hear it.

Apolgies to PTR as well as I did not hear the post game

I only just read your response to my tweet. Matt Coller had it coming after that post-game. It's obvious he was wedded to the opinions of reporters like Vic Carucci who said Cassel would be named starter. How would you feel if after watching a player like Taylor kill it three games straight and Cassel play like weak tea, you had to listen to someone who said that how Taylor played meant nothing and that it's all about practice reps, and that the Bills beat reporters had the best handle on who is the starter and they say Cassel. And besides Cassel played just two series like Roethlisberger did, so there you go: proof he's starting!

This is exactly the sort of nonsense that OC was railing about. It was maddening to hear, so yes, he deserved that shot. Sorry.

P.S. He also said "reading the tea leaves" about 50 times.

P.S.S. I wonder if WGR took down the post game show from the Audio Vault because it was so embarrassing to listen to?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not a WGR fan but unless you are an 8 year old trying to get on TV with a goofy sign PROMOTING that network......acronyms start with the first letter of each word:

As in We Guess Right......for the past 15 years. :lol:

That's what makes it funnier. wRong

Not a WGR fan but unless you are an 8 year old trying to get on TV with a goofy sign PROMOTING that network......acronyms start with the first letter of each word:

Guessing right about the Bills' fortunes over the last 15 years of incompetence isn't prescience. It's a given.

I listened to the whole post game...Every minute...No question he stated he preferred TT while predicting it would be Cassel...Which in almost any circumstance would be fine...

But he took it to another level...IMHO, in his own condescending fashion, he was basically calling out anyone who saw the Bills QB situation any different than it had been reported by WGR...I just felt after listening to him that he was pissed off that anyone would have a differing opinion, especially if they felt EJ deserved a shot...He just came across to me as someone who was unwilling to see the other side of the argument and was verbally frustrated about he fact that he was getting calls that disagreed with his take...

That was just my take on the situation... B-)

Sounds like he may be a poster on this board!

No, that's what makes it random. But the fact that you think it doesn't is funny. :lol:

Actually if he was 8 it would have been cute if he did it like this

We

Guess

Rong

I can picture a kid missing some of his teeth smiling.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Did this really make you feel better? Busting on a young kid trying to make it in a tough business? I listened only to first hour today...I believe he stated 100 times or so he wanted TT to start. His point was who he THOUGHT THE BILLS would go with. They all read it wrong , that does not make them bad people.

Cannot for the life of me understand the hate and yet the 100% attendance during the shows. Craziest thing I have ever seen

WRT the selection, it's not totally unexpected. New coaches want new things generally when talent is comparable between 2 "developing" young QB's. That new is TT.

I use the term "developing" because both have little NFL starting experience and most everyone agrees there is room to grow.

my sarcasm meter is a bit sticky this AM. so if I read this wrong - my apologies

lighten up newbie.

While you are correct creative thinking is always welcome. See example

houston-fans.jpg

#BADOL

You see, now that would have been funny.

Actually newbie. I had posted it once that way. WGR has been wrong for decades. I fell for their reporting 20 something years ago and I won't do it again.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

After listening to Coller this AM on Howard's show I have a little different take on his post-game attitude...

Even though the conversation turned to his Cassel prediction it seems to me Coller was mostly upset with the fact that EJ actually played really well...Coller is in this class of reporters, and some fans, who refuse to believe EJ can ever improve beyond the QB we saw vs SD and Houston last year...And despite the glowing reviews of Roman and his abilities as an OC, that praise does not apply to coaching EJ Manuel...And I think guys like Coller are so stuck in their EJ hatred it actually bothers them to see him improving and playing well...Why this is for any Bills fan or reporter that follows the Bills is WELL beyond my understanding...But yes...I think it's a thing...

This AM the discussion turned to who the back-up QB should be and of course the consensus between Coller and Howard was that it should be Cassel...But Coller decided to back up his belief with the "facts" that we know who EJ is...We know he can't be trusted...We saw in the SD and Houston games...He lost those games by himself...blah, blah, blah...You could hear it in his voice...That dude does not like EJ...

For the life of me I just can't understand how people can on one hand praise Roman as an OC, and on the other hand assume he can't bring out the best in a 25 year old, 6-5 QB with a great arm who is smart and a hard worker...In interviews I have heard with Roman he has praised EJ...saying he's got it all...and only needs to master the system in order to reach his full potential...Yet to guys like Coller EJ is still the same guy who, at times, played poorly under a College HC and OC who struggled to come up with anything in terms of effective offensive football...A run 1st offense that could not run the ball, and could not protect the passer...But somehow, in that horrendous circumstance (especially for a young QB), EJ managed to reach his full potential as an NFL QB in his 13th and 14th starts according to Coller...It's a joke...

So anyway...I think that whole post-game attitude was about Coller's inner EJ hate coming to the surface...He really did want TT to win the job...Or maybe more specifically he wanted anyone but EJ...I actually like Coller when he talks about hockey...I don't think he's got a half-a-clue about NFL football though... B-)

After listening to Coller this AM on Howard's show I have a little different take on his post-game attitude...

Even though the conversation turned to his Cassel prediction it seems to me Coller was mostly upset with the fact that EJ actually played really well...Coller is in this class of reporters, and some fans, who refuse to believe EJ can ever improve beyond the QB we saw vs SD and Houston last year...And despite the glowing reviews of Roman and his abilities as an OC, that praise does not apply to coaching EJ Manuel...And I think guys like Coller are so stuck in their EJ hatred it actually bothers them to see him improving and playing well...Why this is for any Bills fan or reporter that follows the Bills is WELL beyond my understanding...But yes...I think it's a thing...

This AM the discussion turned to who the back-up QB should be and of course the consensus between Coller and Howard was that it should be Cassel...But Coller decided to back up his belief with the "facts" that we know who EJ is...We know he can't be trusted...We saw in the SD and Houston games...He lost those games by himself...blah, blah, blah...You could hear it in his voice...That dude does not like EJ...

For the life of me I just can't understand how people can on one hand praise Roman as an OC, and on the other hand assume he can't bring out the best in a 25 year old, 6-5 QB with a great arm who is smart and a hard worker...In interviews I have heard with Roman he has praised EJ...saying he's got it all...and only needs to master the system in order to reach his full potential...Yet to guys like Coller EJ is still the same guy who, at times, played poorly under a College HC and OC who struggled to come up with anything in terms of effective offensive football...A run 1st offense that could not run the ball, and could not protect the passer...But somehow, in that horrendous circumstance (especially for a young QB), EJ managed to reach his full potential as an NFL QB in his 13th and 14th starts according to Coller...It's a joke...

So anyway...I think that whole post-game attitude was about Coller's inner EJ hate coming to the surface...He really did want TT to win the job...Or maybe more specifically he wanted anyone but EJ...I actually like Coller when he talks about hockey...I don't think he's got a half-a-clue about NFL football though... B-)

This is what gets me on this board and with the media. It's just bizarre. Haven't any of these people improved at their own jobs/careers or a skill/hobby/passion? I played golf in college and some professional (didn't have any money to do the mini touring route) and I can tell you I sure wasn't as good at the sport when I was in high school as college as post college. That's what a nugget of talent and 8-12 hours a day of practice and working out can do over a long period. I'm not even a good example of that. I have friends and former teammates who have done the mini touring for a few years now and it's incredible how much they've improved.

Why couldn't an awesome athlete like EJ improve from where he was a year earlier? Two years?

The hardest thing for most people to accept when trying to improve at something is that time/experience is often the most critical factor. And there's no substitute. Fans and media alike seem to have fallen into this mindset with EJ. They just won't accept he needed time or won't give it to him.

This is what gets me on this board and with the media. It's just bizarre. Haven't any of these people improved at their own jobs/careers or a skill/hobby/passion? I played golf in college and some professional (didn't have any money to do the mini touring route) and I can tell you I sure wasn't as good at the sport when I was in high school as college as post college. That's what a nugget of talent and 8-12 hours a day of practice and working out can do over a long period. I'm not even a good example of that. I have friends and former teammates who have done the mini touring for a few years now and it's incredible how much they've improved.

Why couldn't an awesome athlete like EJ improve from where he was a year earlier? Two years?

The hardest thing for most people to accept when trying to improve at something is that time/experience is often the most critical factor. And there's no substitute. Fans and media alike seem to have fallen into this mindset with EJ. They just won't accept he needed time or won't give it to him.

Exactly...

It's not like there is not precedence for any player taking some time to learn in order to reach his potential... The sports world is littered with examples...Furthermore it's almost always assumed that coaching makes a HUGE difference...Anyone who follows this team and can't admit that EJ looks FAR better this preseason than he did last preseason is an idiot...It seems pretty obvious to me...Good coaching + good offensive system + good running game + experience in said system + great arm + raw talent + work ethic + smarts = better QB...

But somehow that equation, for some at least, does not apply to EJ Manuel...I have no idea exactly what EJ did to guys like Coller...But it must have been pretty bad... :lol:

Exactly...

It's not like there is not precedence for any player taking some time to learn in order to reach his potential... The sports world is littered with examples...Furthermore it's almost always assumed that coaching makes a HUGE difference...Anyone who follows this team and can't admit that EJ looks FAR better this preseason than he did last preseason is an idiot...It seems pretty obvious to me...Good coaching + good offensive system + good running game + experience in said system + great arm + raw talent + work ethic + smarts = better QB...

But somehow that equation, for some at least, does not apply to EJ Manuel...I have no idea exactly what EJ did to guys like Coller...But it must have been pretty bad... :lol:

Haha, I know. Maybe because there's really nothing to actually dislike about EJ as a person. He's as likable a guy as we've ever had on the roster. Says all the right things, does all the right things. Clearly well-raised with good values and morals. Close to his family. A great teammate regardless of the situation. A relentless worker. Heck, he's even a good looking guy.

Because of all this, the only thing you can really do is nitpick at his play on the football field. It'd be easier if he were lazy and arrogant, had a mean mug like Geno or got into bar fights.

The thing for me is, I've followed the Bills my entire life and been on this board for a long time. Not a big poster, but I go to TSW every day probably for double digit visits, as I love all of the articles and like hearing others' thoughts on all things Bills related. But I'm a little surprised there's not more optimism regarding EJ. Out of all the prospects we've had at the QB position since Kelly, to me EJ is the only one to show that spark/'it factor' right away. Yeah, has he had some stinkers and thrown quite a few head scratchers and made bad decisions? YES! But there's a huge learning curve from college to the NFL and x100 for the QB position.

We all hoped for Losman, but he seemed more lost than EJ ever has. Even though he did put together a solid season. He was actually starting to show real promise (gasp!) going into year 4 but injury ruined his shot. Even Trent looked decisive. I'm firmly in the camp that Trent could have been something had Adrian Wilson not destroyed him. Seriously.

But EJ has that something, imo. I'm super excited for Tyrod though. Everything I just said about EJ as a person can apply to TT. Two awesome guys who want to be franchise QB's.

I don't think there's anything wrong with EJ sitting again this year. I have no doubt he will continue to work to improve.

Edited by ko12010

How do he figure EJ lost those games by himself?? I have to ask myself as a reporter what was he watching? Didn't he see Corey Liuget and JJ Watt ABUSING the offensive line. Didn't he see the coaching staff ABANDON the run game in Houston when the RBs were averaging 4 yds a carry? Didn't he see receivers drop passes that could have extended drives? There seems to be an Anti-EJ sentiment over there. Was it brought on by Joe Buscaglia while he was there and spread throughout the radio station? They're, to me, like Fox News. I listen just to see what type of tomfoolery they'll come up with, then I turn them off.