The everything Bills QB thread - during Steelers at Bills

I'd start EJ but if Tyrod does start I am fine with that. If Cassel is more than the #3 there is something horribly wrong.

Let me say this as well - it looks a bit like a horse race, a big British Steeplechase at the Cheltenham festival. Coming to the final fence Cassel was infront but everyone could see Tyrod was the danger. As soon as they jumped the last Tyrod has hit the front... Cassel is the pace maker that is tiring... and now all of a sudden EJ Manuel is staying on up the hill and whilst Tyrod is going to get to the line first EJ is closing and if only there was another furlong...

EJ may well not be the starter. But I repeat - he is closer to that now than he has been at any point this offseason.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd start EJ but if Tyrod does start I am fine with that. If Cassel is more than the #3 there is something horribly wrong.

Let me say this as well - it looks a bit like a horse race, a big British Steeplechase at the Cheltenham festival. Coming to the final fence Cassel was infront but everyone could see Tyrod was the danger. As soon as they jumped the last Tyrod has hit the front... Cassel is the pace maker that is tiring... and now all of a sudden EJ Manuel is staying on up the hill and whilst Tyrod is going to get to the line first EJ is closing and if only there was another furlong...

EJ may well not be the starter. But I repeat - he is closer to that now than he has been at any point this offseason.

I'd also start EJ mostly because he has the most upside to be that strong armed pocket passing franchise QB the Bills have been looking to find since Jim Kelly.

I like Tyrod Taylor, and he does bring that excitement to the game in his ability to run when the pocket breaks down or there is nobody open. The problem I have is that very, very few running QB's have great success or longevity running the ball.

Mike Vick is a good example as those running QB's usually don't last a season. Vick has played 12 years in the league, and only had one season where he played in all 16 games. He went 7-9 doing that. Colin Kaepernick is a taller version of Taylor, and like Vick has had difficulty in developing as a pocket passer. To even be mentioned with those two QB's Taylor would need to take a team to the playoffs. All the guy has done is what he has done before, looked good in pre season. RG3 is another example of a running QB with a history of injuries, and not adapting to becoming a pocket passer.

Like I said, I'm hoping its EJ :D If Cassel gets the start I'll really start to question the coaches thinking

Over

I've said in a number of posts that EJ for the most part just lacks confidence. Well for some reason the light went on. You can see the confidence he is playing with from his body language, his pocket presence, & his accuracy. Is it coaching? Or is it just being in his third year & maturing? I don't know but he has been looking pretty good.

Having said that, I still think that this team is Tyrod's. He can do it all. He has a strong arm; he is accurate; he is very mobile; & he has a few years of good coaching from a good organization. What are his negatives? He's only 6' 1". I don't think so. The only possible negative is that we don't know how he will handle pressure or if he can produce & win games in the last few minutes - the mental part of the game. We shall see.

I'd also start EJ mostly because he has the most upside to be that strong armed pocket passing franchise QB the Bills have been looking to find since Jim Kelly.

I like Tyrod Taylor, and he does bring that excitement to the game in his ability to run when the pocket breaks down or there is nobody open. The problem I have is that very, very few running QB's have great success or longevity running the ball.

Mike Vick is a good example as those running QB's usually don't last a season. Vick has played 12 years in the league, and only had one season where he played in all 16 games. He went 7-9 doing that. Colin Kaepernick is a taller version of Taylor, and like Vick has had difficulty in developing as a pocket passer. To even be mentioned with those two QB's Taylor would need to take a team to the playoffs. All the guy has done is what he has done before, looked good in pre season. RG3 is another example of a running QB with a history of injuries, and not adapting to becoming a pocket passer.

Like I said, I'm hoping its EJ :D If Cassel gets the start I'll really start to question the coaches thinking

I agree with you 100% about Taylor. I like him, but longevity is a concern. Cassel is out of the running for #1 but does have value as a veteran backup and insurance. EJ has great long term value and upside with the right coaching staff to develop him the right way (he has that now). I think he'll be the one to get us a championship over the next few years. We're going to the playoffs this year with good health.

GO BILLS!!!!!

I agree with you 100% about Taylor. I like him, but longevity is a concern. Cassel is out of the running for #1 but does have value as a veteran backup and insurance. EJ has great long term value and upside with the right coaching staff to develop him the right way (he has that now). I think he'll be the one to get us a championship over the next few years. We're going to the playoffs this year with good health.

GO BILLS!!!!!

I don't think you are correct, sir. Edited by Jamie Nails

Biggest problem with Matt Cassel is the number of 3rd downs that we see on an average drive. It's all dink and dunk, so when he misses a throw or gets one batted down, it's a problem because it's third and long and he can't make the throw.

bingo.. an example is when we came out of a TO on 3rd and 5, and an illegal procedure (Gray or Mulligan?) set us back to 3rd and 10 - and our 4th down punt.

My steelers fan neighbor is suicidal. We were missing our top 4 (then 5) WRs and 4 of 5 top RBs and worst QB situation in league and 43 points and

@TyDunne: The #Bills QB's combined to go 30 of 33 for 395 yards with three total touchdowns.

many moons ago i told you guys roman was building an offense that any of our QBs could run.. that stat says it all.. are we happy yet? :rolleyes:

But practice!

practice is where each QB was asked to make the right decision where to go with the ball.. mistakes were corrected in the film room.. away from the media.

maybe the experts now regret not asking Rex or Roman how far EJ was from where they wanted him.. they wouldn't be looking as clueless now, if they had.

Edited by BackInDaDay

practice is where each QB was asked to make the right decision where to go with the ball.. mistakes were corrected in the film room.. away from the media.

maybe the experts now regret not asking Rex or Roman how far EJ was from where they wanted him.. they wouldn't be looking as clueless now, if they had.

Actually if they just listened to Rex the entire camp they would know. He has said that all three were doing well on several occasions. They decided to ignore that because well ... he was in the dog house last year.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Cassel was hurt last year, Manuel missed time his rookie season with a couple injuries. Every QB has a high risk of injury, this is why if TT starts, it's crazy to trade Manuel.

I'm not sure it can be said enough how absolutely amazing it is that EJ is the top rated QB in the entire league who has thrown a decent amount of passes, and Tyrod is fourth, and we are missing our top five WR and four of top five RB (with one game all five). That's INCREDIBLE. that's without Shady and Watkins and Woods and Harvin for 90% of the snaps. In a new offense. With apparently the worst QB situation in the league. Against decent defenses. With two of three on the road. And not one INT from the three guys in three games.

I'm not sure it can be said enough how absolutely amazing it is that EJ is the top rated QB in the entire league who has thrown a decent amount of passes, and Tyrod is fourth, and we are missing our top five WR's and four of top five RB (with one game all five). That's INCREDIBLE. that's without Shady and Watkins and Woods and Harvin for 90% of the snaps. In a new offense. With apparently the worst QB situation in the league. Against decent defenses. With two of three on the road. And not one INT from the three guys in three games.

I agree that the QB's have looked very good, but still need to take it with a grain of salt. It's preseason and defenses don't game plan. No way , with the offense on the field today(no Watkins, Woods, Harvin, McCoy) does this team move up and down the field for 500+ yards. Matt Simms marches the team right down the field for a TD. However, the QB's made every pass they were asked to make, and did everything we needed them to do in the games. I'm encouraged, but I wonder how the coaches gauge their performances in preseason games, which don't really show too much. The demands on the QB's during the regular season cannot be compared to the demands of a preseason game.

So now that NFL.com is running headlines like "Taylor, Manuel shine for Bills", will we start to see a change in the gloom-n-doom coverage of the Bills QB situation in the National media? Local media? NY Post?

Not until they do it in the regular season, which is how it should be handled.

My only prayer this doesn't go the way Chan Gailey handled it in 2010 by saying all three looked about the same. Then the Bills started the guy who looked the best in training camp-pre season, and ended up outright cutting him after two regular season games.

Sorry I can't help it but Matt Cassel looks exactly like Trent Edwards with his "safe", and efficient check down passes that don't result in TD's. 6 of 7 for 38 yards... :sick: EJ went 7 of 8 for 170 yards, 2 TD's :w00t:

EJ or TT for me!