Did anyone catch Sully yesterday on NFL Radio?

It was one of those times for me when i get into my car and I could see his name on NFL Radio, but they had apparently just wrapped up and were going to commercial. They didn't follow-up after the break and I had to head back in to work.

Just curious what he might have said to them...more so, what he said to the NFL listening audience, in general, about what has been going on.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I didn't have time to post yesterday but I caught some of it, and I had to turn the radio off because it turned my stomach. Howard David and James Lofton were the hosts. I really wanted to call in and tell them Sully wanted the Bills to cut Dareus last summer.

I've heard folks presume around here that Sullivan only writes the columns he writes to get a reaction...and when fans are upset with his takes that's all he really wants.

Let me dispel that myth. Sullivan is a miserable human being. He was drab, negative, pessimistic, condescending, you name it. Any NFL fan who doesn't follow the Bills would have come away from the interview with the impression the team is a train wreck waiting to happen. Typical stuff you'd expect from Sullivan -- Shady is probably done, Rex is an idiot when it comes to offense. He made some ridiculous statement about how he hates it when people say a team needs to "get the ball to the playmakers" -- implying that only a franchise QB can successfully lead an offense. When David tried to talk about the strength of the Bills' WRs Sullivan said, "I'll take the guys playing with Brady." He's a complete ass.

It's really embarrassing that they think they were getting some sort of "inside" information on the Bills.

I haven't clicked on a Sullivan article in months and I'll continue to avoid them.

Edit: in other Bills' reporter news, Vic Carucci was co-hosting with Pat Kirwan yesterday afternoon on Sirius. Vic was much more even-keeled when discussing the QB situation, and explained his thinking in a much less negative and pessimistic way than he has been coming across in his tweets and articles. He still believes Cassel will be named the starter and had swayed Kirwan to that line of thinking as well -- solely because Cassel is the established vet who knows the offense the best. I don't agree, but it was a fair evaluation.

Edited by eball

I didn't have time to post yesterday but I caught some of it, and I had to turn the radio off because it turned my stomach. Howard David and James Lofton were the hosts. I really wanted to call in and tell them Sully wanted the Bills to cut Dareus last summer.

I've heard folks presume around here that Sullivan only writes the columns he writes to get a reaction...and when fans are upset with his takes that's all he really wants.

Let me dispel that myth. Sullivan is a miserable human being. He was drab, negative, pessimistic, condescending, you name it. Any NFL fan who doesn't follow the Bills would have come away from the interview with the impression the team is a train wreck waiting to happen. Typical stuff you'd expect from Sullivan -- Shady is probably done, Rex is an idiot when it comes to offense. He made some ridiculous statement about how he hates it when people say a team needs to "get the ball to the playmakers" -- implying that only a franchise QB can successfully lead an offense. When David tried to talk about the strength of the Bills' WRs Sullivan said, "I'll take the guys playing with Brady." He's a complete ass.

It's really embarrassing that they think they were getting some sort of "inside" information on the Bills.

I haven't clicked on a Sullivan article in months and I'll continue to avoid them.

Edit: in other Bills' reporter news, Vic Carucci was co-hosting with Pat Kirwan yesterday afternoon on Sirius. Vic was much more even-keeled when discussing the QB situation, and explained his thinking in a much less negative and pessimistic way than he has been coming across in his tweets and articles. He still believes Cassel will be named the starter and had swayed Kirwan to that line of thinking as well -- solely because Cassel is the established vet who knows the offense the best. I don't agree, but it was a fair evaluation.

I didn't listen but that's what I'd expect. I wouldn't want Sully as a friend, neighbor or coworker because I'd quickly tire of his whiny negativity.

I don't read him for the same reason, and because he offers nothing new. He simply opines - in his contrarian, negative way - about Bills information that's already in the media. He has no sources at OBD and no wonders - why would anyone there want to talk with him?

I've learned more from Tyler Dunne in his short time on the Bills beat than I ever have from Sully. Granted, what I've learned from Tyler is mostly human-interest type stuff but it's something. Sully brings nothing worthwhile to his readers/listeners.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Never pay attention to that ****. It's not worth my time to read any of his crap. He keeps his job because people continue to read and B word about his work which brings attention to the jerk

First E, thanks for the recap. Glad I did not hear it. I don't mind guys being honest and if that is negative on the team I am okay with it. But the tone of Gleason and Sully is not that, it teally feels like they both have an ax to grind with the Pegulas. I think a lot comes to back to that first meeting Terry had with them many years ago and he had the audacity to point out the negativity. I am sure Terry still has that attitude, and Sully and Bucky know the score.

My impression is they both think they are the smartest guys in the room and the Pegulas got "lucky" and they are both jealous as chit. Someone expressed that " lucky" sentiment in a thread yesterday, another guy who is smartest guy in the room.

And Mead, I need to find out if they protected by the Writers Guild. Sullivan said some awful things about the paper last year and their spending policies etc, stuff that would get most fired unless they were protected by tenure or a union. I think it's the only reason they are still employed.

I don't read Sully in the offseason but I do like reading his previews and then reviews of each game each week during the season because they are so unintentionally funny. He sometimes says something on a Monday that totally contradicts an opinion he gave in his preview on a Friday. It is hilarious. Last year one team that the Bills D-Line demolished I think it was either Cleveland or Green Bay he wrote a piece saying how the Bills would struggle because they had a great o-line and Schwartz was too vanilla etc and on the Monday dismissed the constant pressure on the Quarterback by the Bills' front 4 as being because overrated guys on the offensive line were shown up for what they are. Now I know the game may have had an impact on changing opinion but if you swing from "great" to "overrated" on the basis of one game you have issues. Sully has issues.

Say what you want about Jerry Sully. I dont always agree with him, but I ill take his candor any day of the week over Vic Carucci.

can·dor
noun: candour; noun: candor
the quality of being open and honest in expression; frankness. "a man of refreshing candor"
synonyms: frankness, openness, honesty, candidness, truthfulness, sincerity, forthrightness, directness, plain-spokenness, bluntness, straightforwardness, outspokenness;
informaltelling it like it is

I'm uncertain that's the right word to describe Sully

Say what you want about Jerry Sully. I dont always agree with him, but I ill take his candor any day of the week over Vic Carucci.

I actually like Vic as he is much more objective and fair balanced. He's not a sensationalist. I believe that is why he has sources at OBD as they know he will be objective in his reporting.

Sully is a tool. I don't even live in Buffalo, but what I read Sully's articles when posted here, and he just is that annoying person at the party where there is always something wrong.

Sully is just trying to move the point spread in favor of the Bills opponents so we can all cash in. The man is a genius. Hop aboard the Sully train.

Besides he is just living up to his name...Sully. verb (used with object), sullied, sullying. 1. to soil, stain, or tarnish. 2. to mar the purity or luster of; defile: to sully a reputation.

I've learned more from Tyler Dunne in his short time on the Bills beat than I ever have from Sully.

Agreed. Sully's just another old columnist waiting for a newsroom buyout. Dunne writes just as well, actually knows football and has contacts around the league. He'd be a definite upgrade.

Come on Warren, write the check...

I did, my take was in the "EJ sees the writing thread" (just happened to be in that thread when the interview came on):

Sully is on Sirius, he said that Rex hasn't wanted EJ since "he saw him play in NY a couple years ago when he was throwing balls into the cheerleader".

He also laughed at Rex wanting be "ground and pound", that Shady is "a slightly better version of CJ Spiller" and that the Bills don't have the backs they need for Rex's system...

Said the Bills won't be able to throw downfield, so teams will stack the box and the Bills won't be able to run.

Added that the Offense idea seems confused - is that any surprise to anyone in NY that followed Rex?

Rex is a captive of his own myth - Harvin, Incognito, drafting guys from FL State that were part of a rape case, getting IK just to stick it to the Jets (mumbled something about IK sleeping with a girl, who's actually a guy)

I did, my take was in the "EJ sees the writing thread" (just happened to be in that thread when the interview came on):

Sully is on Sirius, he said that Rex hasn't wanted EJ since "he saw him play in NY a couple years ago when he was throwing balls into the cheerleader".

He also laughed at Rex wanting be "ground and pound", that Shady is "a slightly better version of CJ Spiller" and that the Bills don't have the backs they need for Rex's system...

Said the Bills won't be able to throw downfield, so teams will stack the box and the Bills won't be able to run.

Added that the Offense idea seems confused - is that any surprise to anyone in NY that followed Rex?

Rex is a captive of his own myth - Harvin, Incognito, drafting guys from FL State that were part of a rape case, getting IK just to stick it to the Jets (mumbled something about IK sleeping with a girl, who's actually a guy)

You can tell Jerry doesn't actually watch the Bills to get his opinions. He gets them from his fellow cynics writing at other papers. His window is a rear view mirror. Jerry is the master of the anecdote. Edited by PromoTheRobot