I suspect that some kind of trade(s) are going to happen.

Tipster19

A team wont trade if they know we are going to cut them due to our massive depth. They will wait and then pounce. The league is parity and only a few teams are loaded- we are one of them folks. The Patriots are desperate for talent just one example.

Yes because we barely made .500 last season but the super bowl champs are desperate. 😜

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Bryce Brown, Deonte Thompson, Goodwin and Hogan being "dangled" in trade offers. Coaches have a pretty good idea at this point who is going to make the team. Why not try to get something for them now?

Why wouldn't other teams just wait until they were released? Well, as other posters have eluded to, these players would have to be awarded to teams through waivers. No guarantees. I could see some trades happening.

I wouldnt get rid of Deonte Thompson just yet. I didnt know this about him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25282268/finding-the-next-antonio-brown-5-unheralded-wrs-who-could-be-gems-in-2015

Deonte Thompson, Buffalo Bills

You're a wide receiver, and you're trying to make a Bills team that includes Sammy Watkins,Robert Woods, Percy Harvin, Charles Clay and has ground-game advocate Greg Roman as an offensive coordinator?

Good luck.

But with some of the Bills receivers getting dinged during training camp, Thompson has sky-rocketed up the wideout pecking order, practiced with the first-team offense often and has made the most of the opportunity in front of him in preseason games.

He's a super interesting story -- he was a four-star recruit out of high school, and Rivals actually had him one spot ahead of -- you ready? -- Dez Bryant in the receiver rankings in 2007.

Thompson went to Glades Central High School in Florida -- the same high school as Fred Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Ray McDonald and Kelvin Benjamin.

He played -- and contributed -- for four years at the University of Florida and was on the Tim Tebow-led 2008 national title team, a group loaded with future NFL stars.

After Tebow left, the Gators quarterback situation was disastrous, which definitely didn't help Thompson's NFL prospects, but he was the team's leading WR in 2010.

He wasn't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine yet clocked a blistering 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day.

Yes, colleges "help" their prospects during pro day workouts, but 4.31 is really moving.

Thompson was with the Ravens for the past three seasons.

He caught a 50-yard touchdown pass from EJ Manuel in the Bills' preseason opener and did this to Browns veteran cornerback Aaron Ross during the teams' joint practice just outside Rochester, N.Y. last week.

Against the Browns in week No. 2 of the preseason, the former Gator had two catches for 35 yards.

Right now, Thompson looks close to being a "lock" to make Buffalo's final roster and is a quasi-journey man -- only 26 years old -- to keep in the back of your mind this season.

Great info thanks!!!! I say thompson stays and Goodwin goes--hes too fragile.

A team wont trade if they know we are going to cut them due to our massive depth. They will wait and then pounce. The league is parity and only a few teams are loaded- we are one of them folks. The Patriots are desperate for talent just one example.

i would like to nominate this post for any and all awards TSW ever decides to hand out

This is excellence! The paper trophy is won once again.

Yes because we barely made .500 last season but the super bowl champs are desperate. 😜

That was plain dumb- 9-7 in a qb driven league without a qb last year. We need average qb play and were good. Did you not see who that Pats just signed? Kickin tires on Wayne. Look at their roster and then look at ours. Last year was last year - they cheat anyways ha

Whaley is good at drafting mid-round guys. We should trade Mccoy for a 3rd, Darues for a 4th and maybe get a 3rd and 4th for Gilmore. We'd be set.

Haha

i would like to nominate this post for any and all awards TSW ever decides to hand out

I nominate you as the guy who hides behind his computer. Anyone who doesnt think were one of the most loaded teams has to have cataracts.

Just the tip?

oh my. that never really happens though does it.

the hip hop tip up

Where do we keep these for public viewing? Because there have been some supremely excellent posts in my short time with the team.

I could see Bryce Brown, Deonte Thompson, Goodwin and Hogan being "dangled" in trade offers. Coaches have a pretty good idea at this point who is going to make the team. Why not try to get something for them now?

Why wouldn't other teams just wait until they were released? Well, as other posters have eluded to, these players would have to be awarded to teams through waivers. No guarantees. I could see some trades happening.

I wouldnt get rid of Deonte Thompson just yet. I didnt know this about him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25282268/finding-the-next-antonio-brown-5-unheralded-wrs-who-could-be-gems-in-2015

Deonte Thompson, Buffalo Bills

You're a wide receiver, and you're trying to make a Bills team that includes Sammy Watkins,Robert Woods, Percy Harvin, Charles Clay and has ground-game advocate Greg Roman as an offensive coordinator?

Good luck.

But with some of the Bills receivers getting dinged during training camp, Thompson has sky-rocketed up the wideout pecking order, practiced with the first-team offense often and has made the most of the opportunity in front of him in preseason games.

He's a super interesting story -- he was a four-star recruit out of high school, and Rivals actually had him one spot ahead of -- you ready? -- Dez Bryant in the receiver rankings in 2007.

Thompson went to Glades Central High School in Florida -- the same high school as Fred Taylor, Santonio Holmes, Ray McDonald and Kelvin Benjamin.

He played -- and contributed -- for four years at the University of Florida and was on the Tim Tebow-led 2008 national title team, a group loaded with future NFL stars.

After Tebow left, the Gators quarterback situation was disastrous, which definitely didn't help Thompson's NFL prospects, but he was the team's leading WR in 2010.

He wasn't invited to the NFL Scouting Combine yet clocked a blistering 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day.

Yes, colleges "help" their prospects during pro day workouts, but 4.31 is really moving.

Thompson was with the Ravens for the past three seasons.

He caught a 50-yard touchdown pass from EJ Manuel in the Bills' preseason opener and did this to Browns veteran cornerback Aaron Ross during the teams' joint practice just outside Rochester, N.Y. last week.

Against the Browns in week No. 2 of the preseason, the former Gator had two catches for 35 yards.

Right now, Thompson looks close to being a "lock" to make Buffalo's final roster and is a quasi-journey man -- only 26 years old -- to keep in the back of your mind this season.

Here's something of interest. The NFL players that you listed are all from Belle Glade, Fl. They are known for sugar cane fields which they burn in the Fall. The young guys chase the rabbits that come running out of the smoke filled fields. That is how they develope their speed, quickness etc etc. This is no joke, google it if you don't believe me. It is amazing, they develope a whole new ligament or something in their ankles. It's crazy but true. I lived in Florida for quite some time and knew of this but I didn't realize that Thompson was from there as well. Very interesting to say the least.

Talk about overvaluing players. Let's face it, whatever WRs fail to make the team were at best the 7th best player at the position for the Bills. So If they are the 7th or 8th best option for Buffalo, what are they going to be for another team? At best, probably #4. What would you give up for a #4 WR? I'm probably not trading anything, I'll pick someone up off waivers.

The same goes for RB. If the Bills look to trade their #5 RB, they would be at best #3, maybe a#2 RB on their new team. Starting RBs don't have much value, what does a #3 RB?

The point is that if you have depth at a position, trading the one that falls outside the 53 man roster returns almost nothing. Stop overvaluing the Bills guys and be realistic in what could come in a trade.

Wait...what? Are we discussing whether or not players likely to be cut are tradeable?

Uh...no? Because pretty much everyone knows they'll be cut, and will pick them up off waivers rather than trade for them?

Sometimes multiple teams want to sign the cut players, a trade guarantees you get your guy. Its what the 7th round pick does best, a chip you can use to get a guy about to hit the practice squad or be released.

I wouldn't be upset if we traded for backup O Line help. Our 2nd and 3rd team guys have been awful. It's lucky EJ made it to the 3rd game without getting killed. Urbik is serviceable at center and guard, Kouandjio might be Ok on a temporary basis at tackle. Beyond that I see nothing that will help. That's pretty thin.

Biggest hole is at safety. I think they add a safety by trade. Most likely candidates to be moved are Goodwin or Brown. But I wouldn't be surprised if both of those guys are cut and waiver wire guy is signed. I wouldn't mind the Bills giving up a draft pick for a good SS.

Wait...what? Are we discussing whether or not players likely to be cut are tradeable?

Uh...no? Because pretty much everyone knows they'll be cut, and will pick them up off waivers rather than trade for them?

And no you can not just pick them up off waivers if someone else with higher priority claims them; even idiots know that.

Wait...what? Did you just call DC_Tom an idiot? :lol:

Uh...yeah, it seems to apply in this case. :lol:

Like I said above, waivers aren't the real issue. The first issue is contract(years/salary). If you can get a guy whose team tells you he is going to be cut, you can secure him at his current terms, and that may make a lot more sense than:

1. Hoping you don't get F'ed by the waiver wire....and the Bills have already made a claim with IK, which means we go to the bottom of the list.

2. Everyone passing on a waiver claim, and then trying to compete with other teams. It turns into mini-FA, and the "winner" gets to overpay.

This is why the 1st cuts are so much smaller than the 2nd. Usually the 2nd cut determines the backups/ST players. The "nice guy" Bills normally cut the "good, but not good enough" guys in the 1st cuts, so they have a chance to catch on elsewhere. I don't know if we are still the "nice guy" Bills.

The Bills do have tradeable people on decent contracts, so it's plausible, but not likely, that trades can be swung.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's with multiple players and/or with multiple teams but we have too many good players to just let walk away with no compensation. In addition Doug Whaley has shown that he is more than willing to wheel and deal.

EJ for Skelton ... oh wait ....

EJ for whatever we can get

We should trade for Tarvaris Jackson again

He'd be the perfect mentor for TT B-)

Here's something of interest. The NFL players that you listed are all from Belle Glade, Fl. They are known for sugar cane fields which they burn in the Fall. The young guys chase the rabbits that come running out of the smoke filled fields. That is how they develope their speed, quickness etc etc. This is no joke, google it if you don't believe me. It is amazing, they develope a whole new ligament or something in their ankles. It's crazy but true. I lived in Florida for quite some time and knew of this but I didn't realize that Thompson was from there as well. Very interesting to say the least.

can we send Goodwin down there to develop some new ligaments and such in his glass legs?

Haha

I nominate you as the guy who hides behind his computer. Anyone who doesnt think were one of the most loaded teams has to have cataracts.

Who needs to and why would one " hide behind a computer" when commenting on hyperbole and homerism at it's finest. Chill, your comments are humorous to say the least.

Why are we letting all of these good players go? And what would we be looking for in return, more good players or picks to draft more good players?

Trading good players for whom they feel a younger, cheaper replacement is at hand and stockpiling draft picks in return is one way the Patriots*** have stayed at the top so long

If we have to draft a QB next year, wouldn't hurt to have picks to package and and move up (or just use)