Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

Correct. At this juncture, where he was actually drafted vs. his draft grade means exactly squat in 2015.

And Tyrod was taken in the 6th round. Russell Wilson in the third. Brady in the 6th. 1st round QB's mean nothing anymore because teams don't have to commit huge financial resources. EJ was thought to have the highest upside in his draft year by multiple teams and scouts including the Bills. What the Cowboys thought back in the day, who also had a 4th round grade on Kiko Alonso, is irrelevant now.

And it works both ways. If EJ can't beat Tyrod then he shouldn't start, let the best man win.

Edited by jeffismagic

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Tyrod was taken in the 6th round. Russell Wilson in the third. Brady in the 6th. 1st round QB's mean nothing anymore because teams don't have to commit huge financial resources. EJ was thought to have the highest upside in his draft year by multiple teams and scouts including the Bills. What the Cowboys thought back in the day, who also had a 4th round grade on Kiko Alonso, is irrelevant now.

And it works both ways. If EJ can't beat Tyrod then he shouldn't start, let the best man win.

Agreed.

agreed.

Let the best man win.

And lets be in the here and now with our opinions maybe ?

We have 3 QBs who each might take us to the playoffs from what i have read and listened to and watched.

This is a good thing right?

Bills fans maybe , just maybe, be delighted to have this problem ?

I wish you guys would not argue when this is supposed to be fun.

Bills have the best team and best coaching i have seen in many many years.

Enjoy the ride folks.

is this thing on !

You're livin' in the past man, its a new dawn!Lets go Buffalo! The anti-EJ people have some sort of loop in their head of the Houston game from last year where Cyril Richardson and Erik Pears were playing guard. I have watched enough football that I eliminate games like that from my evaluation. All you can draw from that is EJ sucks with less than 2 seconds to throw.
Actually that happened because JJ knew, like anyone that actually watch EJ Manuel play football in the NFL that he doesn't throw too far from the line of scrimmage, so he was ready to grab it and go.
Except my "reality" is fact based, in actual reality; Not based on one's recollection of events. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/players/461919/ej-manuel/#Pass%20Yards%20per%20Attempt$GameType=279588574&SeasonMax=9999&SeasonMin=1990 6.4 yards per attempt in his 4 starts in 2014 would make him the #32 QB in 2014. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-passing-yards-per-attempt-statistics/2014/ 4 games is way too small of a sample size. Especially considering the offensive line he was playing behind. Rex has seen what I have seen this year. When EJ gets time to throw he has been impressive. Marrone is gone. Let's deal with this year's team.
Let's just throw out EJ's actual performance in real life and hang our hat on our imagination of what he might be able to do. And I'm the one that is delusional …Have fun in your circle jerk.

agreed.

Let the best man win.

And lets be in the here and now with our opinions maybe ?

We have 3 QBs who each might take us to the playoffs from what i have read and listened to and watched.

This is a good thing right?

Bills fans maybe , just maybe, be delighted to have this problem ?

I wish you guys would not argue when this is supposed to be fun.

Bills have the best team and best coaching i have seen in many many years.

Enjoy the ride folks.

is this thing on !

Agreed. Between better coaching, scheme, Oline, and skill position players, there is no way this offense doesn't make a leap in scoring average over the past two years (which was about 21 ppg), regardless of who the QB is this year.

It's about to be on.

Edited by TPS

EJ has been the starter all along.... Embrace it... He is who Whaley and company thought he could be.... As much as I love the safety of Cassel and the home run threat of TT- EJ is our guy.... This is his team

If that was true they wouldn't have waited until game 3 to give him time with the 1st team. This is to save the starter for the regular season.

EJ has been the starter all along.... Embrace it... He is who Whaley and company thought he could be.... As much as I love the safety of Cassel and the home run threat of TT- EJ is our guy.... This is his team

Too many doughnuts? Go check your blood sugar.

Way too soon to declare that. He'll have to show well Saturday to merit further consideration for week 1 vs. Indy. I do like his projection moving forward as he's shown signs of improvement in many facets of his game.

I bet y’all are thrilled to have another thread about QB’s. Well, I haven’t posted since last year so I’m starting one whether you like it or not. :devil:

Why should EJ Manuel be the starter in Week 1? It’s not because he’s the best QB on the roster, because right now he’s no better (or even as consistent) than the other two guys he’s competing with. It’s not because he gives the Bills the best chance to win in Week 1, because right now he probably doesn’t give them any better chance than either of the other guys. The reason he should start the first game of the season is because he gives the Bills the best chance to win a Super Bowl at some point in the next 5 years.

I’ve been thinking about the dynamic we’ve been observing throughout this offseason and the one thing that keeps coming to the forefront, both with the fanbase and with the franchise, is that all anybody wants to talk about is making the playoffs this year. We’ve been irrelevant for so long that we’ve reached the point where just making the playoffs one time has become the Buffalo Bills ultimate goal. I think we’re so desperate to be relevant again that we’ve developed an acute case of short-sighted tunnel vision which is making us incapable of seeing the big picture or looking any further down the road than our own hood ornament. Why is this a problem? Because our narrow-minded need for the short-term quick fix of a single playoff appearance may well cost us the opportunity to win a loftier prize in the near future.

For 2 decades the Bills have been desperately wishing for a “franchise” QB to lead this team. For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine; yet despite that embarrassing lack of support we’ve all watched this kid steadily improve since the day he was drafted. And now suddenly we want to stick him at the end of the bench and stop his development dead in its tracks to take a flier on some other guy who might or might not be marginally better at the moment, just because we are so desperate to make the playoffs one time?! Frag that noise. I don’t want to make the playoffs one time, I want to make multiple championship runs over the next 5-7 years; and the Bills are well-positioned to do just that if they can smartly develop a “franchise” QB to go with the ton of talent they have accumulated all over the roster. Matt Cassell is not ever going to be that guy, Tyrod Taylor is not ever going to be that guy. But unlike those two, EJ Manuel has the god-given toolbox and the natural skillset to become exactly that guy. Do we really want to kick the potential franchise QB we’ve been waiting 20 years for to the curb for what may or may not be an incremental short-term improvement because we’ve become so pathetically desperate that our big goal has now been reduced to making the playoffs one time?

I say the hell with being the scared, desperate little ninnies who are so afraid of mistakes that we’re not willing to dare greatly. The hell with playing it safe when there’s a chance for glory sitting right there in front of us if we’re bold enough to risk it. The hell with just making the playoffs this year when being resolute and steadfast might lead to the grand prize down the road. Put Manuel out there in Week 1 and let him make the mistakes that he needs to make before he can learn to eliminate them. Give him the realistic chance to continue the progress he’s clearly been making and to possibly reach the level that can get us over the top. If he stops improving, then we can turn to our Brad Johnson or our Doug Flutie and play for just one year. But don’t start with one of those guys at the expense of developing the kid that might be exactly who and what we’ve been desperately seeking for 20 years.

"Asshat" it is now in my lexicon

I hear you, but Corey Graham raved about his arm and it appears to be as strong as needed -- certainly stronger than Cassel's and nearly on par with EJ.

It just seems to me that in order to get it home on time he needs that big long windup and two steps to push it. I'm afraid he's going to have real problems driving the ball through those winds by Thanksgiving. I've got some faith in Roman's creativity and versatility; he seems to have a knack for accentuating strengths and hiding weaknesses in his QB. He's a big part of the reason I think Taylor could be a legitimate weapon for the Bills if used wisely, but as a long term solution I'm afraid that just might be one bridge too far.

Whichever way they go (and they are playing this one really close to the vest) I've already promised myself I'm not going to be the jackass that starts bagging on him the first time he hits a bit of a rough patch, because no matter who's taking snaps that is going to happen eventually.

I'm just pumped to see the Bills start kicking people's asses and know that this long nightmare is over and we're entering what promises to be a long and entertaining run.

"Asshat" it is now in my lexicon

Sweet

Cuz I almost went with fuc#stick :devil:

It just seems to me that in order to get it home on time he needs that big long windup and two steps to push it. I'm afraid he's going to have real problems driving the ball through those winds by Thanksgiving. I've got some faith in Roman's creativity and versatility; he seems to have a knack for accentuating strengths and hiding weaknesses in his QB. He's a big part of the reason I think Taylor could be a legitimate weapon for the Bills if used wisely, but as a long term solution I'm afraid that just might be one bridge too far.

Whichever way they go (and they are playing this one really close to the vest) I've already promised myself I'm not going to be the jackass that starts bagging on him the first time he hits a bit of a rough patch, because no matter who's taking snaps that is going to happen eventually.

I'm just pumped to see the Bills start kicking people's asses and know that this long nightmare is over and we're entering what promises to be a long and entertaining run.

Sweet

Cuz I almost went with fuc#stick :devil:

Please watch TTs throwing motion again.

I don't think you're close on your perception of his wind up or effort.

He throws effortlessly with a quick release. It was the first thing that took me by surprise in the Carolina game.

I actually had to rewind and rewatch many of the throws because My Brain wasn't expecting what my eyes were seeing.

Just look at the power, quick release, spiral and accuracy on the 1st three throws.

I wouldn't have arm strength or wind up on the list of concerns with Tyrod Taylor.

[/font][/size][/font][/size]

ummmm Ya?!? Lol at all your assumptions you state as facts...way to write a novel that basically says"I like ej because hes big and nice and has an arm" so did losman.

Atrocious o line? Not at pass blocking...he had lots of time to not read the D and sail balls high.

Oh and the old. "not enoug games excuse" which was said for Edwards even in his 3rd year. I've seen plenty of games where he sucked....so did Florida state. He's never been good....probably never will be.

Tyrods better.