Why EJ Manuel should start in Week 1

Simon

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the guy who said EJ can't throw the ball before the receiver is open. The receiver and DB weren't at the 10 yard line on the left end zone fade and the ball was already in the screen shot last game.

EJ has won games on this league. He beat a good Dolphins team last year. He did it with Moron and Can't Hackett as his coaches. Dude isn't s dumpster fire.

I think it will be a fail if Rex starts Matt Cassel when they have Taylor and Manuel, who by his own accounts are playing very well.

Everyone knows that Cassel will have to be replaced by one or the other QB at some point during the season so it's stupid to start the year off knowing you will eventually put your team through that QB change offensive upheaval.

Just watch both of them stand in the pocket and throw the 20yrd out from the opposite hash and it won't take long at all to see the difference

Why would Tyrod Taylor throwing a beautiful spiral that was well timed on the Receivers hands and EJ throwing a wobbly pass that was late and behind the receiver help your cause for EJ to Start Week 1?

EJ throwing behind his receiver is so consistent it is mind boggling. He needs to add 5 yards to wherever he thinks a receiver is going to be if he is ever going to be a starting QB in the NFL.

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

So does Tyrod but he is not nearly as bad about it. EJ leads the WR better then any of them IMO but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis.

• The athleticism between Taylor and EJ is a wash,
  • EJ has a small advantage on arm strength,
  • EJ is bigger and stronger,
  • Tyrod has big play ability but pocket presence is suspect; same w/manuel,
  • Tyrod has a quicker release but its flippant
  • Better mechanics go to EJ
  • Agree about the WRs complaining last year, can you blame them?

Cassel didn't play a down in the 2nd game, rotation or not that's a sign. He is limited and the team know what he can do. These are just my opinions, I agree with some of Simon's statement but with either guy back there its a long season regardless of defense....

EJ lost his receivers last year after nearly getting several of them killed. He waits until receivers are open before he makes the throw...he's not the answer.

I watched him throw twice before his receivers were open in the Browns scrimmage. WRT OP, if Tyrod were not here I would agree about starting Manuel but Tyrod deserves his shot. Manuel's confidence still isn't quite there yet but chances are a TT injury will force him in at some point this season.

First of all, welcome back! It's fantastic to see you posting. Hate to do so, but I must already respectfully disagree. :)

I do so because I see very.....very little chance of EJ improving to a superbowl level qb. Check it out:

>>>>>For the first time in ages we actually have a high character, blue chip athlete with a big arm and a world-class work ethic sitting right in our laps. He’s played less than a season’s worth of NFL football under an asshat of a coach and behind an atrocious OLine<<<<<

You and I were saying the same as above about Rob Johnson, who had as many or more skills than does EJ. I just don't think this kid can get the job done. IMO he would have a slight chance if he would run the way he did in college but when he runs now he looks (again, imo), clumsy and lumbering.

And as others have said, 5-7 years is a century in the NFL. Injuries, free agency losses, bad drafts and other factors can wipe out a team overnight. Look at the 49ers.

In any event, it's all good. Once again I am completely thrilled to see you back!!!!! :):thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah I didn't really want to open up that can off worms but since it is already open.

IMO

EJ= Rob Johnson (Pedigree, Physicals, Came out of Central Casting for QB)

Tyrod Taylor = Flutie 2.0 (Small, Good College QB, No Respect as an actual NFL QB candidate)

They're even running all those Flutie Bootlegs for Tyrod in the preseason.

Maybe starting Tyrod in our first Playoff Game since Flutie was robbed of the opportunity would atone for this franchise's past sins with football gods.

:devil:

To the guy who said EJ can't throw the ball before the receiver is open. The receiver and DB weren't at the 10 yard line on the left end zone fade and the ball was already in the screen shot last game.

EJ has won games on this league. He beat a good Dolphins team last year. He did it with Moron and Can't Hackett as his coaches. Dude isn't s dumpster fire.

Exactly! The pass he threw to Robert Woods in the SD game was an attempt to throw the receiver open and Woods never got his head around. The pass he threw to Sammy Watkins in the end zone, in the Miami game was an attempt to throw the receiver open. Guess what? Both passes were incomplete. Lest the "inaccurate" label attached to EJ Manuel.

So does Tyrod but he is not nearly as bad about it. EJ leads the WR better then any of them IMO but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis.

• The athleticism between Taylor and EJ is a wash,
  • EJ has a small advantage on arm strength,
  • EJ is bigger and stronger,
  • Tyrod has big play ability but pocket presence is suspect; same w/manuel,
  • Tyrod has a quicker release but its flippant
  • Better mechanics go to EJ
  • Agree about the WRs complaining last year, can you blame them?

Cassel didn't play a down in the 2nd game, rotation or not that's a sign. He is limited and the team know what he can do. These are just my opinions, I agree with some of Simon's statement but with either guy back there its a long season regardless of defense....

EJ consistently throws behind his receivers even when they are open.

The few times he leads a Receiver he leads them right into an incoming Safety.

It happened this Pre-Season, Last Season, and the Season before that.

I don't see any improvement in EJ's ability to throw a covered receiver open or place the ball where a receiver can get YAC.

I was impressed with Tyrod's beautiful spirals that gave his receiver a chance to Run.

Harvin/Watkins/Clay/McCoy should all be YAC machines. You got to start the guy that gives the playmakers the best shot at getting YAC.

Out of all the options that is not EJ, imo.

Excellent!

He's a pocket passed with a big arm. Which is what it takes to win it all.

Young group of skilled receivers and a young QB, that NEED to develop chemistry and timeing to grow together.

Improved accuracy and pocket awareness

He's a Bill!

Protypical size

Gaining time in the league which should help him grasp defensive scheming

Much higher ceiling than the other two guys

Fan support, despite the detractors people are still enamored with the guy

High character guy that would be good for the NFL in general, with the type of charators we've seen lately

He's a number one draft pic! He's gotta see significant playing time on the field eventually. EJ has got to get his shot. Why wait, it makes no sense.

To the coaches, regarding Cassel being the safe bet, no risk, no reward

To the possibility of starting Tyrod, who wants their QB scrambling in the red zone, there's some big, fast, mean linebackers and safeties in this leauge.

Doug Marrone did EJ Manuel and the Bills organization a disservice by benching a .500 QB in the 4th game of the season. Maybe he got "mad" again when EJ didn't answer him after the Watt INT.

EJ consistently throws behind his receivers even when they are open.

The few times he leads a Receiver he leads them right into an incoming Safety.

It happened this Pre-Season, Last Season, and the Season before that.

I don't see any improvement in EJ's ability to throw a covered receiver open or place the ball where a receiver can get YAC.

I was impressed with Tyrod's beautiful spirals that gave his receiver a chance to Run.

Harvin/Watkins/Clay/McCoy should all be YAC machines. You got to start the guy that gives the playmakers the best shot at getting YAC.

Out of all the options that is not EJ, imo.

Which game this preseason? This should be good.

I agree with the original author.

EJ should start the first game. This complete lack of confidence in EJ is ridiculous. He needs game time experience and has the physical attributes to succeed.

After we crushed GB's #1 QB, anybody can have a bad day.

Start EJ and go Bills.

IMO

EJ= Rob Johnson (Pedigree, Physicals, Came out of Central Casting for QB)

Tyrod Taylor = Flutie 2.0 (Small, Good College QB, No Respect as an actual NFL QB candidate)

There are 31 other franchises and 95 years of professional football to reference yet it somehow all comes back to this when QBs are discussed.