MMQB: Rex Ryan has found the next Darrelle Revis*

YoloinOhio

Benoit says its "Bills preview Day" on MMQB.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills preview day on @theMMQB. Analytical tweets on the way.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Given how down the new staff is on EJ Manuel, dont be surprised if Taylor takes most of QB snaps in 15.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Mobility at QB would bring a valuable dimension to new Bills offensive system.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: McCoy and Harvin present huge possibilities for space-oriented misdirection. Imagine what a QB read-option element would add.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Biggest concerns with Manuel: erratic ball placement, limited pocket understanding.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Watkins must get better against elite competition. Revis and Haden both stymied him last yr.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Guard a key position. Was a weakness last yr. This yr, hope is that new guys Incognito and John Miller solidify it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: Watkins must get better against elite competition. Revis and Haden both stymied him last yr.

Haden played well against Sammy; Revis was the beneficiary of the ball not being thrown to Sammy in the 1st matchup, and being taken out early after Sammy beat him in the 2nd.

Haden played well against Sammy; Revis was the beneficiary of the ball not being thrown to Sammy in the 1st matchup, and being taken out early after Sammy beat him in the 2nd.

remember when watkins was simply a decoy against revis in the game plan? that was a fun one to read.

I was going to say the same thing. If memory serves me correctly Sammy beat him pretty consistently.

without seeing the quotes from marrone on the topic, it would be an easy mistake to make if trying to cram a lot of commentary in about every team.

Yes and no. If you watched the game you would have been screaming like a banshee, like I was, to throw the ball to your best player rather than ignoring him. If you just looked at stats or highlights you could come to the conclusion that Revis blanketed him like he does most other guys.

@Andy_Benoit: #Bills Notes: WR Woods sensational short area quickness, effective on shallow routes. Can be a 1,000-yd No. 2 WR in right circumstance.

Trade him.

Yes and no. If you watched the game you would have been screaming like a banshee, like I was, to throw the ball to your best player rather than ignoring him. If you just looked at stats or highlights you could come to the conclusion that Revis blanketed him like he does most other guys.

Trade him.

i guess my point was with a 32 team coverage like this, its tough to watch full tape for every team, and isolate guys ---- theres almost certainly some common sense guesswork involved on a practical level. and this was one where it was wrong. in the realm of incorrect statements that we see, this one simply didnt irk me like some do. ultimately, sammy does still have to produce against him, even if last year was marrone/orton more than him..

i guess my point was with a 32 team coverage like this, its tough to watch full tape for every team, and isolate guys ---- theres almost certainly some common sense guesswork involved on a practical level. and this was one where it was wrong. in the realm of incorrect statements that we see, this one simply didnt irk me like some do. ultimately, sammy does still have to produce against him, even if last year was marrone/orton more than him..

Yeah I would agree with that, especially that he has to produce, although putting up big numbers in this offense may be difficult for anyone. My point is he only made six observations or so and at least one he clearly didn't watch the games or know. Anyone that watched the Bills games would know that Watkins was terribly misused, under utilized, and hurt most of the year, and looked every bit the star receiver when they did go to him a lot.

I'm just not really all that impressed with the MMQB offerings. The Jenny Vrentas story on Rex was great, but I find Andy Benoit to lack insight. Perhaps that comes from trying to provide content on all 32 teams, as noted above, but I tend to think this site is really only useful for a casual fan who doesn't know much of anything about anything.

If you're a die hard nfl fan like most of us here, rarely can an outsider tell you anything you don't already know about your players.

Durability is our biggest issue this year. I don't expect Harvin to be healthy enough play in more than a handful of games, and I'm worried about Sammy as well, the guy seems built to last but hasn't been fully healthy since we drafted him.

Dont know much about Shady's healing speed but hammy's linger for a long time. Our starters at mid season might look a whole lot different than they do now. Keeping my fingers crossed.