MMQB: Rex Ryan has found the next Darrelle Revis*

YoloinOhio

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well written, insightful piece. I guess I didn't realize Rex's scheme doesn't translate well to turn-overs, more to 3 & outs. I'm torn between what might be best. The short fields made available last year via TO's, contributed greatly to wins through Carpenters leg. Our Offense simply sucked at driving. So, if we get nothing better than Orton's QB skills this year, would you rather have short fields for many FGA's or possession more times per game?

Well written, insightful piece. I guess I didn't realize Rex's scheme doesn't translate well to turn-overs, more to 3 & outs. I'm torn between what might be best. The short fields made available last year via TO's, contributed greatly to wins through Carpenters leg. Our Offense simply sucked at driving. So, if we get nothing better than Orton's QB skills this year, would you rather have short fields for many FGA's or possession more times per game?

That's a good question. But from the looks of how the offense is being structured for this year, Bills offense should have many more time consuming drives. Hopefully that will wear defenses down by the end of the third quarter, while Ryan's D Dogs will still be fresh. If Ryan had Carpenter on the Jets last year, they'd be good for at least two more wins. So, Carpenter may still be the team MVP.

That's the blue print at least for now.

The defense's strength last season was the secondary? Odd statement in there.

6-1/2 dozen. Certainly not all of our League leading sacks came from overwhelming rush. Many of the DT sacks came from QB's shuffling around trying to find someone.

Benoit's piece is up now (see the other thread) and it's good. For those who said they knew it all before, I'm guessing none here knew that Talib was assigned to cover Clay in 2013.

i should have just posted the article in this thread instead of a new one. As the kids say, my bad. Lol

Edit: thanks for merging, mods!

It's a well-written piece (certainly better than most of Benoit's "Bills Notes" tweeted yesterday) and if the evaluation is correct (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now) I'm certainly fine with a lot of 3-and-outs.

Gilmore has been maddenly inconsistent. He has flashed the potential but not sustained it.

for a young corner that has played through injury, he has been exceptional. the weight of this not meant to land fully on you: ive said it before, and im sure ill say it many more times -- i think people have unrealistic expectations of what a good corner looks like. they are going to get beat sometimes. they get built up to mythical revis island type of reputations, but even the generational guys arent without bad games. we sit here and talk about how stevie had revis number, and how sammy could have lit him up last year, and then in the same breath beat up our own corners for having guys beat them because no one ever beats revis.

The secondary played great against GB.

i said it up thread, but the two certainly fed on each other, and having that complete unit made a big difference. you arent ALWAYS going to get the rush out of the front 4, and you arent ALWAYS going to hold coverage but when you can do both of those pretty consistently it becomes rare that both sides drop their end of the bargain (and even then, you are in the offenses head).

Still in wait-n-see on Gilmore.

I think he's really close to stepping into the Sherman-Revis-Haden tier. His last 5 games last season were terrific, especially the back-to-back performances against Denver and Green Bay.

There was a noticeable difference in the pass defense once he exited against Oakland.

That guy is gonna be the cornerstone....of THIS defense??

Come on...

A cornerstone I could buy...the cornerstone is a tough one when you're talking about Mario and Dareus. I would, however, put him 3rd behind those 2 guys.

for a young corner that has played through injury, he has been exceptional. the weight of this not meant to land fully on you: ive said it before, and im sure ill say it many more times -- i think people have unrealistic expectations of what a good corner looks like. they are going to get beat sometimes. they get built up to mythical revis island type of reputations, but even the generational guys arent without bad games. we sit here and talk about how stevie had revis number, and how sammy could have lit him up last year, and then in the same breath beat up our own corners for having guys beat them because no one ever beats revis.

i said it up thread, but the two certainly fed on each other, and having that complete unit made a big difference. you arent ALWAYS going to get the rush out of the front 4, and you arent ALWAYS going to hold coverage but when you can do both of those pretty consistently it becomes rare that both sides drop their end of the bargain (and even then, you are in the offenses head).

Excellent post.

I also point out the fallacy of the unbeatable corner whenever anyone talks about Sherman. He's not the best because he never gets beaten; he's the best because he uses the ball skills he developed as a former WR at Stanford to beat WRs to the break points of their routes and contest jump balls.

Even then, he still gets beaten; see his efforts against Antonio Gates and Dez Bryant last year.

That's a good question. But from the looks of how the offense is being structured for this year, Bills offense should have many more time consuming drives. Hopefully that will wear defenses down by the end of the third quarter, while Ryan's D Dogs will still be fresh. If Ryan had Carpenter on the Jets last year, they'd be good for at least two more wins. So, Carpenter may still be the team MVP.

That's the blue print at least for now.

I don't see that. Folk went 3/3, 4/4, 4/5 and 5/5 in 4 of the Jets losses. His total FGs made and % were not vastly different than Carpenters. 3/5 of Folk's "worst" (75% made or less) were wins. In 2 close losses to NE, Folk made 7 of 9 FGs.