8-25: Bills' Final Training Camp Practice - 10 AM to 12 PM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jones was the backup and needs to win the job in camp. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Nothing is guaranteed. Everything is earned. Last year was last year.

Also - maybe urban and the staff knows they are going to play Cardale. Why would they want va tech to know that?

Both coaches can make a decision and let the team know without making it public. It won't leak in Cbus because urban would just threaten to take playing time away from whoever says anything and playing time is everything at osu. Also the players understand "competitive advantage." If it leaks in buffalo, then it does. Why announce it though?

I hear ya about all this, Yolo. But after Nick Saban had this to say about Jones: “The one thing that the new quarterback does is he has a tremendous arm,” Saban said. “And they have some very talented receivers. And the two things that were very apparent is those things became very apparent in the last two games because of the quarterback.

“Now, they were a little different and the quarterback was a great runner when 16 (Barrett) was playing, and he was a good passer. But it wasn’t so obvious when you watched the film all season long that they had these great skill players that could really make plays down the field.”

If I'm Meyer, do I really have a serious competition for Jones to reclaim his job? He took that offense to another level. As a buckeye fan, will you be satisfied if Meyer hands the ball back to JT?

As far as competitive advantage by not revealing your starting quarterback, you are right but by announcing it in advance it's a statement that playing coy doesn't matter, we'll still kick your ass.

I hear ya about all this, Yolo. But after Nick Saban had this to say about Jones: The one thing that the new quarterback does is he has a tremendous arm, Saban said. And they have some very talented receivers. And the two things that were very apparent is those things became very apparent in the last two games because of the quarterback.

Now, they were a little different and the quarterback was a great runner when 16 (Barrett) was playing, and he was a good passer. But it wasnt so obvious when you watched the film all season long that they had these great skill players that could really make plays down the field.

If I'm Meyer, do I really have a serious competition for Jones to reclaim his job? He took that offense to another level. As a buckeye fan, will you be satisfied if Meyer hands the ball back to JT?

As far as competitive advantage by not revealing your starting quarterback, you are right but by announcing it in advance it's a statement that playing coy doesn't matter, we'll still kick your ass.

i am Team Cardale, mainly for the reasons you mentioned. But urban trusts JT to run his offense and the media thinks there is a lean toward him. On the Osu boards I'd say it's 80-20 JT. Media is about 50-50. As a fan I think you stick with Cardale until he loses. But urban is, IMO, The best cfb coach in the country. If he thinks JT is the guy to lead the team, I trust him. JT won some very big road games with his arm, and is extremely talented. Edited by YoloinOhio

My concern is still the OL. Last year it was average to poor. Will they be able to get the run game going and protect. Will Glenn and wood raise their level of play. Can the RT be solidified. Will miller be up to the task as a rookie. Big questions

My concern is still the OL. Last year it was average to poor. Will they be able to get the run game going and protect. Will Glenn and wood raise their level of play. Can the RT be solidified. Will miller be up to the task as a rookie. Big questions

I think the starting OL is going to be more than adequate, but if any of those guys go down it will be rough sledding.

Of the backups, I only have confidence in Urbik. Richardson is still a work in progress, as is KuJo.

The OL must stay healthy.

I was an eye witness. The throw made Goodwin turn around completely. I thought he still could have caught it, but to say it was a flat out drop is not accurate by any stretch of the imagination.

It was not a well thrown ball.

***That's why i was getting at***

Some concern at Corner (until McKelvin returns) and LB depth, but otherwise I think they are going to make opposing offenses thankful for 3 and out!

i am Team Cardale, mainly for the reasons you mentioned. But urban trusts JT to run his offense and the media thinks there is a lean toward him. On the Osu boards I'd say it's 80-20 JT. Media is about 50-50. As a fan I think you stick with Cardale until he loses. But urban is, IMO, The best cfb coach in the country. If he thinks JT is the guy to lead the team, I trust him. JT won some very big road games with his arm, and is extremely talented.

Interesting the fan boards lean so strongly JT, and there's no question he can execute Meyer's offense and is extremely talented. I'm a Penn State fan but see plenty of OSU here in Cleveland, I think Meyer prefers a strong running quarterback like JT and option offense and so if he hands the ball back to JT it'll be interesting to see if it has any negative effect on their season.

Interesting the fan boards lean so strongly JT, and there's no question he can execute Meyer's offense and is extremely talented. I'm a Penn State fan but see plenty of OSU here in Cleveland, I think Meyer prefers a strong running quarterback like JT and option offense and so if he hands the ball back to JT it'll be interesting to see if it has any negative effect on their season.

this is why I am team cardale. If you go with cardale and he loses a game , if you are urban no one questions the decision because he just won the NC. If you go with JT and he loses a game, I think a lot of people question the decision (even those who wanted JT will flip and say urban should have known). IMO you can always go back to JT if Cardale flops. But it would be weird to sit Cardale for JT and then go back to Cardale.

Interestingly, last season Cardale was #2 and JT #3 behind Braxton in camp. When Braxton got hurt 10 days before the opener, JT jumped Cardale for the starting job because he was better in the film room and better work ethic. I don't know if either of those things have changed but from what I hear they haven't (mostly JT is the new Tim Tebow for Urban). Knowing what urban values I could see him giving JT the nod if he's also performing in practice. But if Cardale is lighting up our D in practice I think he's a lock because that's not easy. One thing I will say is both will play at some point. Either one will get hurt or urban will just design plays for both. Since you are a PSU fan you may remember in happy valley last year that urban lined up 2 different QBs, an hback and a WR at QB all in the same series. He is nuts and it drives me crazy at times.

Fred Jackson: "Feels good to be back out there" (11:11)

Bills RB Fred Jackson joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his overall impression of this year's training camp, his anticipated return to the field in Saturday's preseason game, and why the run game this year will benefit the offense.

DT Bryant sees parallels with Bills & Seahawks

Bills newest DT Red Bryant, who signed last week, has a Super Bowl ring from his time with the Seattle Seahawks. He’s spent just about a week here, but is extremely impressed with Buffalo’s roster and coaching staffs and sees some striking similarities between this Buffalo club and his championship Seattle team.

this is why I am team cardale. If you go with cardale and he loses a game , if you are urban no one questions the decision because he just won the NC. If you go with JT and he loses a game, I think a lot of people question the decision (even those who wanted JT will flip and say urban should have known). IMO you can always go back to JT if Cardale flops. But it would be weird to sit Cardale for JT and then go back to Cardale.

Interestingly, last season Cardale was #2 and JT #3 behind Braxton in camp. When Braxton got hurt 10 days before the opener, JT jumped Cardale for the starting job because he was better in the film room and better work ethic. I don't know if either of those things have changed but from what I hear they haven't (mostly JT is the new Tim Tebow for Urban). Knowing what urban values I could see him giving JT the nod if he's also performing in practice. But if Cardale is lighting up our D in practice I think he's a lock because that's not easy. One thing I will say is both will play at some point. Either one will get hurt or urban will just design plays for both. Since you are a PSU fan you may remember in happy valley last year that urban lined up 2 different QBs, an hback and a WR at QB all in the same series. He is nuts and it drives me crazy at times.

Ha! Yea, I do remember that series. I was just happy we were able to give you guys a great game because that seldom happens and drives me crazy! :-) Thing is, if he goes with Cardale, he'll also have Braxton Miller on the field to step in the backfield every so often and run some option. Urban definitely has a wealth of offensive possibilities this year.

Should be a great year for the big 10. OSU should dominate MSU will be good, fun to see if UM and PSU make themselves relevant again, Wisconsin and Nebraska in that mix too and at least one other team of the rest.

I would certainly respect Meyer not giving the job to Jones if he hasn't improved his work ethic. Thanks for that perspective.

I hear ya about all this, Yolo. But after Nick Saban had this to say about Jones: “The one thing that the new quarterback does is he has a tremendous arm,” Saban said. “And they have some very talented receivers. And the two things that were very apparent is those things became very apparent in the last two games because of the quarterback.

“Now, they were a little different and the quarterback was a great runner when 16 (Barrett) was playing, and he was a good passer. But it wasn’t so obvious when you watched the film all season long that they had these great skill players that could really make plays down the field.”

i am Team Cardale, mainly for the reasons you mentioned. But urban trusts JT to run his offense and the media thinks there is a lean toward him. On the Osu boards I'd say it's 80-20 JT. Media is about 50-50. As a fan I think you stick with Cardale until he loses. But urban is, IMO, The best cfb coach in the country. If he thinks JT is the guy to lead the team, I trust him. JT won some very big road games with his arm, and is extremely talented.

Sounds kind of familiar?

Does anybody know if Taylor is still taking off looking to run right away (or almost) or is he showing better pocket awareness?

Watch a replay of the browns game if you can. He made the throws and showed the pocket presence people were asking about after the carolina game. There is a taylor highlight reel on the team website, but obviously that's going to show a limited number of snaps.