It's gotta be Roman who makes the QB call, right?

eball

It's not entirely Roman's decision.

Of course. As thebandit clearly explained. It will be discussed by the entire group. I'm sure there will be agreement, and possibly some disagreements. Everyone will/should get to share their thoughts and concerns. I'd assume the offensive coaches, in particular, have a lot to add to the discussion--so I don't really think there will be too much of an issue when the final decision gets made.

But I think even if Rex would slightly prefer QB X and Roman really wants QB Y, you go with QB Y. Think about it. They brought Roman in to help fix the offense, which has been the real problem for this team the past few years. Roman has a history of grooming QBs and designing effective offenses. Rex has never been able to fix an offense or develop a QB in his years as HC.

Here's a crappy analogy: A general contractor has built a few houses and every one of them has horrible electric issues. This contractor has never had any electrical experience and some say he doesn't know a volt from a watt. So he hires a master electrician to build the next house. There is some discussion on what materials to use, and how to go about wiring the house. The electrician's plan is within budget, but the general contractor says, "No, use this stuff instead, and do it my way". Now he's the boss, and he can make the decision. But he'd be one stupid general contractor, and I wouldn't want him building my house.

Great managers delegate and trust their people (especially if they got to pick the person), until they prove themselves inadequate for the job.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is easy. There are two viable options:

1) call Doug marrone and ask him. Then do the opposite.

2) have all 3 QBs vote. But no one can vote for himself.

thats sneaky

In other words, call Doug Marrone.

Damn!!

I read at work on my breaks, and ONLY my breaks.

But i do follow these things along with you folks.

Rex should make the call. and he will own up to it.

His relationship with Greg is none of our business.

Rex makes the call. Period.

There is a damned fine reason why Rex and Whaley and Pegula hired Roman.

Of course. As thebandit clearly explained. It will be discussed by the entire group. I'm sure there will be agreement, and possibly some disagreements. Everyone will/should get to share their thoughts and concerns. I'd assume the offensive coaches, in particular, have a lot to add to the discussion--so I don't really think there will be too much of an issue when the final decision gets made.

But I think even if Rex would slightly prefer QB X and Roman really wants QB Y, you go with QB Y. Think about it. They brought Roman in to help fix the offense, which has been the real problem for this team the past few years. Roman has a history of grooming QBs and designing effective offenses. Rex has never been able to fix an offense or develop a QB in his years as HC.

Here's a crappy analogy: A general contractor has built a few houses and every one of them has horrible electric issues. This contractor has never had any electrical experience and some say he doesn't know a volt from a watt. So he hires a master electrician to build the next house. There is some discussion on what materials to use, and how to go about wiring the house. The electrician's plan is within budget, but the general contractor says, "No, use this stuff instead, and do it my way". Now he's the boss, and he can make the decision. But he'd be one stupid general contractor, and I wouldn't want him building my house.

Great managers delegate and trust their people (especially if they got to pick the person), until they prove themselves inadequate for the job.

This, my friend goes back to a principal that is taught by some successful major business owners.

Surround your self with folks that are smarter than you. and learn why you can trust them. Then do just that. at some point you just have to.

Its a huge risk and probably nerve wracking. but it can really pay off.

May i suggest this is the method likely employed by the Pegulas? They can read character and they can read previous success. Can they empower with knowledgeable trust . I might guess so.

The Bills organization looks more coherent than anytime previous that i am aware of.

Go Bills

thats sneaky

Damn!!

I read at work on my breaks, and ONLY my breaks.

But i do follow these things along with you folks.

Rex should make the call. and he will own up to it.

His relationship with Greg is none of our business.

Rex makes the call. Period.

There is a damned fine reason why Rex and Whaley and Pegula hired Roman.

This, my friend goes back to a principal that is taught by some successful major business owners.

Surround your self with folks that are smarter than you. and learn why you can trust them. Then do just that. at some point you just have to.

Its a huge risk and probably nerve wracking. but it can really pay off.

May i suggest this is the method likely employed by the Pegulas? They can read character and they can read previous success. Can they empower with knowledgeable trust . I might guess so.

The Bills organization looks more coherent than anytime previous that i am aware of.

Go Bills

Depends on whether you're trying to create short-term success, or long-term success. It's even debatable whether you'll enjoy short-term success with the guy with more injury-marred seasons than good ones. To me, going with Cassel is like going with Orton. It was short-term success and then back to ground zero again. Cassel will be no different.

Depends on whether you're trying to create short-term success, or long-term success. It's even debatable whether you'll enjoy short-term success with the guy with more injury-marred seasons than good ones. To me, going with Cassel is like going with Orton. It was short-term success and then back to ground zero again. Cassel will be no different.

I'll take any success.

It's becoming clear this isn't about who should make the QB decision for the Bills. For you it's just "don't start Cassel". I think there are about 100 other threads for that. What if it is Rex who wants Cassel and Roman who wants to start TT? I thought this was about who, in the organization, should be empowered and trusted to make that call. I mean, hell, if Rex and Roman want to start Cassel, but Whaley or Pegula disagree, maybe they should make the call--right?

I'm not particularly crazy about starting Cassel, either. I think he's an acceptable #2 and I'm glad the Bills have a guy like that (wish he was a bit better, though) on the team. But there are scenarios where perhaps starting Cassel early in the season make sense for the long-term. Maybe Roman likes TT but doesn't think he is quite ready, or can handle a whole playbook, just yet. Maybe he likes EJ and just needs to get more comfortable with him. Whatever. For the long-term health of this team, the coaching staff is more important than one player decision---even the QB. We have a proven OC in Roman now. I think it's crazy, at this point, to not give him the players he thinks he needs to best run the offense---even if I disagree with those decisions.

Edited by The Dean

We should get better QB's than ones who are at the tail end of their careers. Maybe next year.

We have two right near the start of their careers. Even better, they have had some time to lean on the bench. While I'm not all-in on either EJ or TT, I'm fairly bullish on the Bills QB situation right now.

We have two right near the start of their careers. Even better, they have had some time to lean on the bench. While I'm not all-in on either EJ or TT, I'm fairly bullish on the Bills QB situation right now.

Yep, hopefully either are better than whatever vet we have, Cassel or otherwise next year.

It's becoming clear this isn't about who should make the QB decision for the Bills. For you it's just "don't start Cassel". I think there are about 100 other threads for that. What if it is Rex who wants Cassel and Roman who wants to start TT? I thought this was about who, in the organization, should be empowered and trusted to make that call. I mean, hell, if Rex and Roman want to start Cassel, but Whaley or Pegula disagree, maybe they should make the call--right?

I'm not particularly crazy about starting Cassel, either. I think he's an acceptable #2 and I'm glad the Bills have a guy like that (wish he was a bit better, though) on the team. But there are scenarios where perhaps starting Cassel early in the season make sense for the long-term. Maybe Roman likes TT but doesn't think he is quite ready, or can handle a whole playbook, just yet. Maybe he likes EJ and just needs to get more comfortable with him. Whatever. For the long-term health of this team, the coaching staff is more important than one player decision---even the QB. We have a proven OC in Roman now. I think it's crazy, at this point, to not give him the players he thinks he needs to best run the offense---even if I disagree with those decisions.

Yes, I'm against Cassel starting and am going off of reports that Ryan like TT while Roman likes him. Cassel has shown that he's a journeyman at best and he'll always be one and will be on another team next year. TT has had time to learn from an excellent coaching staff and behind a SB-winning QB, and it's Ryan's first year, so let TT start and take his lumps.

Because he is the star of the show and the three QBs are supporting players right now. I think there is an important dynamic there that there shouldn't be a major disconnect on if they plan on having a successful offense. It's more of a positive energy vs negative energy dynamic that I'm referring to. No doubt that Sammy wants to have the same kind of success that ODB had last year and if he's floundering with a QB who's thrown him only 2 TDs in five games and he's the QB he never wanted in the first place...it's probably not going to be a good thing. Who knows, maybe Sammy has no preference and he's just glad it's not his decision. That could be the case also.

OK, fair enough, you've explained your thinking.

First, Sammy is NOT the star of the show...he is a tremendously talented 2nd year player who was hampered by injury and perhaps by offensive scheme/QB last year. Do you think McCoy, Clay, Harvin, and Woods would all concur Sammy is "the star of the show"? I don't. They are all extremely talented players poised to potentially be major contributors to A WINNING TEAM. If the team is losing with all the talent we have, will anyone care if Sammy is having an ODB year or McCoy is having a PB season. If the team is winning, it's to be hoped that none of the stars will care too much if their numbers are diluted by teammate playmakers. To think otherwise is a loser's mentality, because on a good team with multiple playmakers, one guys numbers WILL get diluted.

But what would be the impact on the team if the coach invites one of the playmakers to be "more equal than others" and vote on the QB? Oh, invite them all to vote - now what is this, a professional football offense coached by an OC who knows what he's doing, or a taping of Survivor - NFL? Ask players to vote on coaching decisions and you might as well break out the Tiki torches.

Second, in response to a different post, Roman's offense is not designed around using the deep pass to open up running lanes. That is not what a power running game is all about, and Roman, Rex, and everyone else involved with the Bills O have stated the intention to install a power run game. Nor is Watkins the "deep threat", that would be Goodwin or Harvin, one of the "fast twitch speed guys".

Third, there are perhaps 2-3 players in the league who have shown they are "the Man" both for their film-room acumen and their year-in, year-out on field performance, and should be consulted - Peyton Manning would be one. Tom Brady would be another. Possibly Aaron Rodgers. And that's about it.

So I do most sincerely hope you're wrong. QB/WR chemistry is on both guys, and it's up to the WR to do his part to cultivate it, not to sulk and whine and take plays off if it doesn't roll his way.

I think the head coach hires his assistant coaches to coach their unit, they are hired because of their expertise along with their resume & where they have taken other units .

So with that being said i think that Rex being the head coach should have some input about the decision but the end all should be Romans baby .

The same goes for the play calling during the game ! Roman should be making those play calls . If there is a question about a circumstance then there are 3 time outs to be used but they practice most all situations in practice so each should be versed on what to do & Rex should have faith in the man he hired to do his job !!

Because that means Rex isn't letting Roman run the offense to the best of his ability---with the players, and style, he believes will best succeed. Who do you want to trust with offensive decisions? Rex or Roman? I'm not suggesting Roman won't do his best with whomever he has to work with, and make an offense that goes with their skill set. But why tie the guy's hands? Rex has no clue about offensive football. Let the man you hired to do the job, do the job. At least to start the year. If it goes south, then make a change.

Interesting comment. I look at it slightly differently; Rex knows what sort of an offense gives his defense the most difficulty. I think that's why he likes TT. Rex probably views Cassel as a sitting duck if he were coming at him with a real gameplan.

But at the end of the day, I do believe Rex will defer to Roman's judgment about who should play. These guys are on the same page.

I have to agree here.

And its not blind hope either.

But in Rex i trust. Sincerely , i mean that.

But if you are the Head Coach and ultimately it is your reputation on the line then you have to be comfortable yourself with the guy you are going with. It is no point going with the Quarterback everyone else wants if you in your heart of hearts don't believe in him.

So you have an OC that is not a placeholder, and as an HC you are going to forcefeed the OC against his will not only a player in his offense, but the single most important player? Does that make sense at all?

Personally I think they should go to the big tree and hash it out over a beer. But push comes to shove and they cannot agree, you have to go with the QB that the OC feels works best in his system. It is HIS system after all, not Ryans.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Why do so many of you think that the Bills' coaching staff is some kind of democracy?

Rex gets the big bucks to make those decisions and the guys underneath him know that. According to the fan base and how they react, Rex will take 99% of the blame for being wrong if the QB ends up sucking.

The guys underneath Rex agreed to be subordinates when they signed up for the job. They are part of Rex's cabinet, but Rex is the boss when it comes to such decisions.

No brainer in my opinion. Rex will make the call and try to win the rest of the team and staff over to his side by explaining why he chose who he chose.

The buck stops with Rex so it is his call.

He can make the call by demonstrating trust in his OC, DC, and STC such that they earn the right from Rex to be the absolute lead in making big time calls. However, it seems to me almost all HCs (and probably particularly a huge personality like Rex that trust will need to be earned by successful performance.

Roman has certainly performed as OC elsewhere as in his recent stint in SF, but SF ain't here and this is his first go round with Rex here so my strong guess is that this is gonna ultimately b Rex's call.

Why do so many of you think that the Bills' coaching staff is some kind of democracy?

Rex gets the big bucks to make those decisions and the guys underneath him know that. According to the fan base and how they react, Rex will take 99% of the blame for being wrong if the QB ends up sucking.

The guys underneath Rex agreed to be subordinates when they signed up for the job. They are part of Rex's cabinet, but Rex is the boss when it comes to such decisions.

No brainer in my opinion. Rex will make the call and try to win the rest of the team and staff over to his side by explaining why he chose who he chose.

There's no question Rex is the HC and will ultimately take the credit or blame for all decisions, but to imply he would heavy-handedly overrule the experienced OC he brought in with respect to the QB decision is not realistic.

This is very likely to be a joint decision between Rex and Roman, with input from David Lee and possibly Doug Whaley as well. If Lee and Roman tell Rex QB X gives them the best chance to win games, does anyone really think Rex will overrule them if he likes QB Y better?

Now, perhaps the conversation will go something like this:

Roman: "Rex, we can go three ways with this. If we start QB X my gameplan will be such and such. We can do more of this, but none of that. Here's the upside, and here's the risk. And so on for QB Y and QB Z. Which way do you want to go?"

There's no need for heavy-handedness, distrust, overruling, etc. Ryan tells Roman "I understand that you may feel Cassel is the best guy, but his last 4 teams also thought that and he had horrible seasons, not to mention got injured early. We're trying to build for the future and Cassel ain't it since he'll be gone next year one way or another. Let's go with Taylor (or EJ) and see what we have in him. If we have nothing, we have to draft a QB high next year."

There's no question Rex is the HC and will ultimately take the credit or blame for all decisions, but to imply he would heavy-handedly overrule the experienced OC he brought in with respect to the QB decision is not realistic.

This is very likely to be a joint decision between Rex and Roman, with input from David Lee and possibly Doug Whaley as well. If Lee and Roman tell Rex QB X gives them the best chance to win games, does anyone really think Rex will overrule them if he likes QB Y better?

Roman: "Rex, we can go three ways with this. If we start QB X my gameplan will be such and such. We can do more of this, but none of that. Here's the upside, and here's the risk. And so on for QB Y and QB Z. Which way do you want to go?"

Good post!

On going dialogue i am sure. Rex will gladly own it. And Rex very likely trusts the guys he has to give him the gorey details without bias.

I dont feel any of the dysfunction of the past with this group

This is also a good illustration of how, to the disbelief of some, Roman could favor Cassel over TT.

Perhaps I'm mistaken (I'm sure you'll all be quick to point out if I am) but wasn't the criticism of Roman's offense in SF last year based on the fact that Roman had tried to turn Kaep into more of a pocket passer? Would that indicate he has a preference in that regard? I dunno, just spitballing here.

It isn't a democracy---it isn't as if they have a vote and whoever wins starts. And of course it is, officially Rex's decision. But he'd be a fool, and show very bad faith, if his decision wasn't ultimately that recommended by the OC.

There's no need for heavy-handedness, distrust, overruling, etc. Ryan tells Roman "I understand that you may feel Cassel is the best guy, but his last 4 teams also thought that and he had horrible seasons, not to mention got injured early. We're trying to build for the future and Cassel ain't it since he'll be gone next year one way or another. Let's go with Taylor (or EJ) and see what we have in him. If we have nothing, we have to draft a QB high next year."

What if Rex tells Roman, "I understand you want to start TT (or EJ), but we need to win a few games early to get some momentum this season. We can start to work TT into the lineup by making some packages for him. And, if TT is truly ready, he'll still be ready, and healthy, later in the year. After all, what are the chances Matt lasts the year?" Since you think Rex should have final say, you are fine with that, too. Right? You are simply bringing your preference for QB into a discussion about who should make the decision. It is intellectually dishonest.

What if Rex tells Roman, "I understand you want to start TT (or EJ), but we need to win a few games early to get some momentum this season. We can start to work TT into the lineup by making some packages for him. And, if TT is truly ready, he'll still be ready, and healthy, later in the year. After all, what are the chances Matt lasts the year?" Since you think Rex should have final say, you are fine with that, too. Right? You are simply bringing your preference for QB into a discussion about who should make the decision. It is intellectually dishonest.

I haven't heard from anywhere that Roman prefers TT. Whereas I've heard Ryan raving about TT and how he wanted to get him when he was with the Jets, Cole saying Ryan prefers TT, and metz_lives saying Roman prefers Cassel.

I haven't heard from anywhere that Roman prefers TT. Whereas I've heard Ryan raving about TT and how he wanted to get him when he was with the Jets, Cole saying Ryan prefers TT, and metz_lives saying Roman prefers Cassel.

Aye aye aye. That's the point. We're working of some very vague rumors here. The rumors could well be false and their actual positions different than what we know. This question is about who should make the call. The individual players involved aren't really relevant here. It isn't' as if the Bills have one clear starter or there would be no question. Take the player you like off the table. Who would you trust to pick the starting QB?

Aye aye aye. That's the point. We're working of some very vague rumors here. The rumors could well be false and their actual positions different than what we know. This question is about who should make the call. The individual players involved aren't really relevant here. It isn't' as if the Bills have one clear starter or there would be no question. Take the player you like off the table. Who would you trust to pick the starting QB?

I would trust the consensus. And, if there weren't a clear consensus, I think it's more important for Rex to feel confident in the decision than Roman. Even though I trust Roman more, offensively, I feel that it's also important for the chain of command to remain intact, and strong. Roman's the coordinator, but it's Rex's vision. That's my philosophical take.

Rex's decision with a lot of input though.

Rex also has to think about the future more than just next season.

Roman is trying to become a Head Coach, next season if possible, so Rex need to make the call in what is best for the team in long run. Think Roman would be more likely to go Meh route thinking short term, or has better grasp of offense, to get him in position for next year, even if one of others may have more long term potential.

I would trust the consensus. And, if there weren't a clear consensus, I think it's more important for Rex to feel confident in the decision than Roman. Even though I trust Roman more, offensively, I feel that it's also important for the chain of command to remain intact, and strong. Roman's the coordinator, but it's Rex's vision. That's my philosophical take.

I agree with your point about consensus. But the chain of command is never an issue here. Rex will be the person who makes the decision. officially. He is, of course, free to make a different decision than he actually prefers. Any leader who won't do that at least once in awhile is probably a crappy leader, IMO. In this case, it might be a good thing for Rex to be uncomfortable with his decision, as his decisions about the offense (and QB in particular) have been fairly regrettable in the past---that is, if the decisions in the past were his preference.

Rex's decision with a lot of input though.

Rex also has to think about the future more than just next season.

Roman is trying to become a Head Coach, next season if possible, so Rex need to make the call in what is best for the team in long run. Think Roman would be more likely to go Meh route thinking short term, or has better grasp of offense, to get him in position for next year, even if one of others may have more long term potential.

I think this line of thinking is total BS. But most of all, the Bills have enough talent to do a long way THIS YEAR. This isn't a year you waste "building for the future". This is the future they've been building toward. To think an offense good enough to go deep into the playoffs is bad for the team is ridiculous. To think a "meh"* offense helps Roman get a HC job, is equally ridiculous.

* not specifically referring to the player here.

I'll make one final point in this thread. If Rex actually overrules Roman's choice of QB (something I don't think is going to happen), hasn't he done the same thing to Roman and the offense that many claim Idzik did to him? If, in this scenario, Roman doesn't get to play the QB he thinks will do the best job for the offense, do we make excuses for him the way some do for Rex's performance with the Jets?

I agree with your point about consensus. But the chain of command is never an issue here. Rex will be the person who makes the decision. officially. He is, of course, free to make a different decision than he actually prefers. Any leader who won't do that at least once in awhile is probably a crappy leader, IMO. In this case, it might be a good thing for Rex to be uncomfortable with his decision, as his decisions about the offense (and QB in particular) have been fairly regrettable in the past---that is, if the decisions in the past were his preference.

I think the hallmark of a great leader is the ability to trust one's generals, so to speak. I know I'm speaking in vague terms here, but I think it's Roman's job to offer assessments of the various options, and the potential for each. Along with that would be his preference, but if his preference doesn't match up with the type of team Ryan is trying to build, I think it's Roman's obligation to adjust to Rex, not the other way around. If Roman truly believes that one option is going to result in fewer wins, then he should be making a strong case against it. But, if the conversation is about, "this is how we win with this guy, and this is how we win with the other guy..." then that is how Rex will build consensus.

I really like eball's hypothetical conversation in this regard, and the more I think about it (and, I am well aware that I am just pondering the ramifications of a thin rumor), the more I could understand how Roman would prefer Cassel over TT. By most accounts, Cassel reads the field better. That is no small thing, and I could see how that would give Roman more options in running, and controlling his offense. And, I could see how that would not necessarily mesh with what Rex is trying to build.

Honestly, is the risk as stated by some, really that great by not starting Cassel!

If you believe he is mistake free and we cannot lose - I don't see it.

Potential is never reached if it is not attempted.

Risk cannot be properly assessed without consideration of the reward.

IMO

Edited by The Thurmanator

Those last two sentences need some motivational imagery with them

Honestly, is the risk as stated by some, really that great by not starting Cassel!

If you believe he is mistake free and we cannot lose - I don't see it.

2372_Great-Inspirational-Quotes.jpg
Potential is never reached if it is not attempted.

inspiration_leap_617.jpg
Risk cannot be properly assessed without consideration of the reward.

IMO

There. Fixed it!

There. Fixed it!

Excellent. I couldn't stop laughing after Thurmanator's post. I get the feeling he just came from a management consultant or motivational speaker. I used to have so much fun screwing with those guys.

"Empty slogans R us!"

There. Fixed it!

LOL! thats awesome. If Cassel starts I hope the risk of out patterns being jumped by DBs is compensated for by all the Field generalship he provides. Good fun fellas!

Edited by The Thurmanator