After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

BustaTimes

After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

• Tyrod Taylor
    • EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassell
    • Matt Simms
    • Someone else
    • It's too early to tell

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that "you won't want Cassel" or "it won't be Cassel?" He certainly has a very good chance of starting (at least at the beginning of the year).

I like you believe that Cassel is going to be the starter when the season starts. (I think that is your viewpoint???) The reason being that he is the safest way to go at the start. What Cassel does better than the other qbs is that he gets the ball out quicker than the other two qbs. But the more I see of TT the more I believe that he is eventually going to become the starter.

With the Jets Rex was subjected to a lot of bad qbing and a lot of bad decison-making. I suspect that he would rather go with a more prudent and conventional qb who can manage the game and make good decisions. That is not to say that Rex isn't impressed and intrigued with TT. There is no doubt that Rex was influential with the organization and with TT in getting him to sign with Buffalo. The Ravens wanted to keep him but TT wanted to seek a better opportunity to play.

The more I see of Taylor the more I am impressed. He has surprised me with his accuracy, arm strength and touch. He throws a really nice ball. He also possesses a lot of football smarts. He is not a raw player who doesn't understand the game. The only reservation I have with him is his excessive inclination to run. Without a doubt his legs are a major asset of his but over relying on his legs is going to affect his durability.

I like you believe that Cassel is going to be the starter when the season starts. (I think that is your viewpoint???) The reason being that he is the safest way to go at the start. What Cassel does better than the other qbs is that he gets the ball out quicker than the other two qbs. But the more I see of TT the more I believe that he is eventually going to become the starter.

With the Jets Rex was subjected to a lot of bad qbing and a lot of bad decison-making. I suspect that he would rather go with a more prudent and conventional qb who can manage the game and make good decisions. That is not to say that Rex isn't impressed and intrigued with TT. There is no doubt that Rex was influential with the organization and with TT in getting him to sign with Buffalo. The Ravens wanted to keep him but TT wanted to seek a better opportunity to play.

The more I see of Taylor the more I am impressed. He has surprised me with his accuracy, arm strength and touch. He throws a really nice ball. He also possesses a lot of football smarts. He is not a raw player who doesn't understand the game. The only reservation I have with him is his excessive inclination to run. Without a doubt his legs are a major asset of his but over relying on his legs is going to affect his durability.

Speaking as a member of the Anyone but Cassel club, I am worried Cassel will look very much like what we had last year from Orton and EJ; always trying not to screw up. Also after watching Fitz struggle because of his lack of arm strength, I think Cassel could struggle if the box gets crowded.

That being said I am comfortable with him starting; I would just like to see one of the young guys because I think either would make a couple of plays a game (EJ through the air on a deep strike; TT on the ground) while still moving the chains on the short routes (Cassel's strength).

Edited by YattaOkasan

1) I think the Bills should, and will, keep all of the big three.

2) I'd like to point out how terrible the local media pack (and national guys like Rodak) has been when it comes to covering our quarterback situation. I live in Rochester and have been to many training camp practices over the years, including three this year. After all three, I've come home to read about how terrible the quarterbacks have been and it just has not matched up to what I've seen. Then the games start and all three quaterbacks have played very well. I swear the few reasonable members of the media group must be getting group thinked by the louder, stupider ones, of which there are many.

3) I chose "Too early to tell" because I would be fine with either Taylor or Manuel at this point. Anybody but Cassel. I knew Taylor had good wheels but I have been impressed with his ability to manage the game with his arm. He doesn't appear to be any worse than Cassel when it comes to managing the game but has the added threat with his legs. I have been disappointed by Taylor's arm strength however, which appears to be even worse than Cassel. He has hit on a few intermediate throws using good timing and accuracy but there isn't much margin of error due to the lack of velocity. I am also worried about how effective Taylor's running will be in the regular season, either due to defensive strategy or injury.

Manuel has really impressed me with his accuracy. If we want a consistent intermediate or long range passing game, it's going to have to come from Manuel. He's not a threat with his legs the way Taylor is but is far more mobile and elusive than Cassel. He is starting to really remind me of Roethlisburger from a style perspective. The only negatives I've seen from him during the games is his accuracy on the run outside the pocket. This has been partially offset by his ability to be elusive within the pocket, where we've seen him evade the rush, reset, and deliver accurate throws multiple times.

Based on this, I just don't see a reason to play Cassel. Yes, they can have regular season success with him but they're going to need one of the young guys to develop into something more than that by the end of the season to be a threat in the post-season.

Speaking as a member of the Anyone but Cassel club, I am worried Cassel will look very much like what we had last year from Orton and EJ; always trying not to screw up. Also after watching Fitz struggle because of his lack of arm strength, I think Cassel could struggle if the box gets crowded.

That being said I am comfortable with him starting; I would just like to see one of the young guys because I think either would make a couple of plays a game (EJ through the air on a deep strike; TT on the ground) while still moving the chains on the short routes (Cassel's strength).

I agree with you that Cassel is an Orton caliber of qb. If Orton would have come into the season last year prepared and without his "retired state of mind" the Bills probably would have been in the playoffs. No one is suggesting that Cassel is our qb of the future. But as a temporary solution he might be the team's best option to start. That is not to say that TT won't eventually surpass him during this season. And there is still a good chance that TT will be the starting qb when the season starts.

I think just about every fan can agree that the QB situation is not as dire as some would have you believe.

i said this right before TC - that expectations for the position could not possibly have been lower in the offseason among fans, media, etc. So the fact that any of them appear halfway competent has us all doing a jig. Probably how Rex planned it all along. Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with you that Cassel is an Orton caliber of qb.

A lot of people have said this. Orton was way more of a gun slinger than Cassell could ever dream of. He'll make Trent Edwards look like Brett Favre. Cassell is grand poobah of checking down. He has to because he has zero arm strength and mediocre accuracy.

New NFL qb's need a few things to have success in the pro's:

A decent O line

Reliable receivers that get open

Solid coordinators/coaches

Two years in the same system with at least a few of the same receivers both years.

Tyrod and EJ are both in the same boat, they both need lots of real game reps. This is probably the best offense to learn how to be an nfl qb because its not as demanding as some of the other fast paced passing systems.

Both guys still are learning. TT will get the nod over EJ because he's tougher to plan against for a defense. When he starts against Indy and we beat them in the opener its gonna be a huge boost for his confidence.

I guess that I don't necessarily think that he will start but I don't think that he won't either. I know that he is not the most exciting option for people but if you look at the poll numbers on here regarding the starter, etc... Cassel is always a distant 3rd. I get that for the question of "who do you want to start" but not for the question of "who do you think will start." If I were putting odds on the starting QB vs. Indy right now it would look something like this TT - even money, Cassel +175, EJ +330

Unless EJ plays with and against first teamers, he won't have a chance. Right now, I'm with Taylor, but curious about EJ. His arm looked great last night, he has more arm strength than any QB on the roster, and that should mean something strong in his favor.

Tyrod looked fantastic to me. Very much like Russell Wilson. He showed poise, accuracy, speed and seems ready to become the starter. The 3 points are misleading. He only was given 3 possessions, and played against their 1st team with our 5th team skill players.

First drive ended on a missed FG after a 16 play 10 minute drive with several clutch 3rd down conversions. The next was blown up by a 10 yard loss on a Goodwin reverse after Taylor had 22 yard run. The last produced a FG after a nice touch TD pass was dropped on 3rd down.

Far as I'm concerned, the opening day starter should be Tyrod with Cassel holding the clipboard. EJ is the clear 3rd, but might have done enough on that last drive to earn a roster spot.

Unless EJ plays with and against first teamers, he won't have a chance. Right now, I'm with Taylor, but curious about EJ. His arm looked great last night, he has more arm strength than any QB on the roster, and that should mean something strong in his favor.

To me, watching a half of Taylor then a half of Manuel, Manuel looked downright immobile compared to Taylor.

Also, people seem to love both Rex and Roman, how nice it is to have good coaches and so on. Then turn around and say things like Manuel needs to play with and against the 1's. Trust the coaches people. If Manuel is playing with and against the backups and worse, it is for a reason.

There is no doubt in my mind that the depth chart should look like this:

1) Tyrod Taylor

2) Matt Cassell

3) EJ Manuel

PS) Matt Simms

What we have seen from TT has been actual hope. First, he's decisive. Second, he's composed in the pocket. Third, he has made good reads and delivered good balls. Fourth, when the protection breaks down, he's able to buy time and either scramble for good yardage or find an open receiver. Fifth, the read option.

Matt Cassell is a decent, conservative backup that we can game plan around. We know what we have. Nothing special, nothing horrible. Can bridge the gap for a few games if TT gets injured.

EJ has actually really impressed me. I think he's vastly improved and much better than I expected he'd be so far in the preseason. It's worth it to the Bills (and actually best for him I think), to let him continue to develop the mental part of the game for another year.

For those voting for TT, do you really know his body of work well enough - and his strengths and limitations - to hand him the keys to the lamborghini?

He's looked reasonably good so far and that's intriguing. But QBs keep coming to Buffalo and we fans get excited that the new guy is better than what we've had. This excitement is always based on some combination of flimsy evidence & wishful thinking. We all remember when people were calling for Brian Brohm to start!

I just can't help but wonder if HOPE is generating a lot of the enthusiasm for TT. I think many fans feel they know EJ and MC well enough to dislike their mediocrity and are hoping TT brings something better.

I HOPE they're right. But at this moment, I can't say I'm confident in any of the three.