After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

BustaTimes

After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. After the Browns game, who do you want as Bills starting QB?

• Tyrod Taylor
    • EJ Manuel
    • Matt Cassell
    • Matt Simms
    • Someone else
    • It's too early to tell

To me, watching a half of Taylor then a half of Manuel, Manuel looked downright immobile compared to Taylor.

Also, people seem to love both Rex and Roman, how nice it is to have good coaches and so on. Then turn around and say things like Manuel needs to play with and against the 1's. Trust the coaches people. If Manuel is playing with and against the backups and worse, it is for a reason.

Most QB's would look immobile compared to Taylor.

My comment about Manuel playing with the first team wasn't a shot at the coaches, but just an observation that he will not be considered a starter if the coaches won't even play him with the first team. It would make no sense to start him based on his play against scrubs. That was my point.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those voting for TT, do you really know his body of work well enough - and his strengths and limitations - to hand him the keys to the lamborghini?

He's looked reasonably good so far and that's intriguing. But QBs keep coming to Buffalo and we fans get excited that the new guy is better than what we've had. This excitement is always based on some combination of flimsy evidence & wishful thinking. We all remember when people were calling for Brian Brohm to start!

I just can't help but wonder if HOPE is generating a lot of the enthusiasm for TT. I think many fans feel they know EJ and MC well enough to dislike their mediocrity and are hoping TT brings something better.

I HOPE they're right. But at this moment, I can't say I'm confident in any of the three.

I think those are fair points. I'm not completely confident in any, but I feel better about all of them than I did a month ago.

If TT gets the nod, I'd like to see Cassell as #2. But if he goes down or is totally ineffective, I'd probably start EJ and keep Cassell at #2. (Keep in mind, all of this given the very limited information at the present time.) I'd do the reverse if EJ gets the nod out of the gate. I have always liked the #2 QB to be an experienced veteran, even if that guy has limited skills. Cassell fits my idea of a #2 QB just fine.

For those voting for TT, do you really know his body of work well enough - and his strengths and limitations - to hand him the keys to the lamborghini?

One more thing I can't believe I missed. This offense, a "lamborghini"? Now THAT'S funny. I think we're all hoping for at least something like a new Corolla or a Civic, and less like Kenny's Pinto.

IMHO, the Bills probably get to 10-6 with EJ or MC on the strength of the rest of the team. I don't think either would be a disaster under center this season but I wouldn't think either would pass for 4,000 yards and get invited to the Pro Bowl either.

TT is still a wild card. Man, he's mobile and his arm is better than I thought. But he's clearly not a polished QB (yet?) and based on what I've seen so far, I'd be a little nervous starting him. Maybe he could deliver better than 10-6. Maybe he'd make enough mistakes to produce a losing record. I just haven't seen enough of him.

I think those are fair points. I'm not completely confident in any, but I feel better about all of them than I did a month ago.

If TT gets the nod, I'd like to see Cassell as #2. But if he goes down or is totally ineffective, I'd probably start EJ and keep Cassell at #2. (Keep in mind, all of this given the very limited information at the present time.) I'd do the reverse if EJ gets the nod out of the gate. I have always liked the #2 QB to be an experienced veteran, even if that guy has limited skills. Cassell fits my idea of a #2 QB just fine.

One more thing I can't believe I missed. This offense, a "lamborghini"? Now THAT'S funny. I think we're all hoping for at least something like a new Corolla or a Civic, and less like Kenny's Pinto.

I wasn't clear. I meant the overall roster. Outside the QB position, this is a playoff quality roster.

Given the quality of the roster, I wonder if Rex is tempted to make the safe choice at QB.

Yeah, let's hope the offense turns out to be better than Kenny's Pinto. With the WRs and RBs we have, I'm hoping at least a Camry.

Edited by hondo in seattle

ABC. Anyone But Cassel.

Cassel will get us to a 9-7 record as teams will crowd the LOS and our running game will suffer.

EJ can hit deep passes but probably is still not quite ready.

TT can hit a deep ball now and then and threaten a D with his ability to run while also moving the chains with quick passes to our skill players.

TT right now but EJ is close.

We're looking a lot better heading into this season compared to last:

Tyrod Taylor - 12/18, 114 yards, 6.3 ypa, 0 TD/0 INT, Rating 84, 10 rushes, 88 yards

EJ Manual - 13/22, 188 yards, 8.5 ypa, 2 TD/0 INT, Rating 117, 4 rushes, 13 yards

IMHO, the Bills probably get to 10-6 with EJ or MC on the strength of the rest of the team. I don't think either would be a disaster under center this season but I wouldn't think either would pass for 4,000 yards and get invited to the Pro Bowl either.

TT is still a wild card. Man, he's mobile and his arm is better than I thought. But he's clearly not a polished QB (yet?) and based on what I've seen so far, I'd be a little nervous starting him. Maybe he could deliver better than 10-6. Maybe he'd make enough mistakes to produce a losing record. I just haven't seen enough of him.

I like a lot of what you're saying, I'm a Taylor vote but agree this team would have a chance to win with Cassel or EJ too.

I'm curious what you've seen of Taylor that makes it clear he's an unpolished QB. From the glimpse we've gotten so far, to me he has surprisingly good pocket awareness and looks confident and accurate.

I would agree we just don't know with him one way or the other.

I like you believe that Cassel is going to be the starter when the season starts. (I think that is your viewpoint???) The reason being that he is the safest way to go at the start. What Cassel does better than the other qbs is that he gets the ball out quicker than the other two qbs. But the more I see of TT the more I believe that he is eventually going to become the starter.

With the Jets Rex was subjected to a lot of bad qbing and a lot of bad decison-making. I suspect that he would rather go with a more prudent and conventional qb who can manage the game and make good decisions. That is not to say that Rex isn't impressed and intrigued with TT. There is no doubt that Rex was influential with the organization and with TT in getting him to sign with Buffalo. The Ravens wanted to keep him but TT wanted to seek a better opportunity to play.

The more I see of Taylor the more I am impressed. He has surprised me with his accuracy, arm strength and touch. He throws a really nice ball. He also possesses a lot of football smarts. He is not a raw player who doesn't understand the game. The only reservation I have with him is his excessive inclination to run. Without a doubt his legs are a major asset of his but over relying on his legs is going to affect his durability.

This is a very good post. I will add that I think TT has showed that he indeed makes good decisions. And if he is nearly as accurate with his short throws as Cassel, who is really only pretty good at it, then he should be the starter. So far, TT has shown to be accurate, and make good decisions. IMO he should be the starter (unless he plays with the ones next week and doesn't make good decisions).

He's looked reasonably good so far and that's intriguing. But QBs keep coming to Buffalo and we fans get excited that the new guy is better than what we've had. This excitement is always based on some combination of flimsy evidence & wishful thinking. We all remember when people were calling for Brian Brohm to start!

I just can't help but wonder if HOPE is generating a lot of the enthusiasm for TT. I think many fans feel they know EJ and MC well enough to dislike their mediocrity and are hoping TT brings something better.

I HOPE they're right. But at this moment, I can't say I'm confident in any of the three.

I think that this is the EXACT reason that people are voting for him. No one knows his body of work well enough but they do have a pretty good sense for both Cassel & EJ.

I think that this is the EXACT reason that people are voting for him. No one knows his body of work well enough but they do have a pretty good sense for both Cassel & EJ.

I see a way larger upside with Taylor, skillset/versatility/dynamic capability which complements the playmakers and offensive scheme the best. That is why I like Tyrod.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I voted too early to tell. Hopefully the front runner will continue to get at least half a game for the next couple of weeks so that they can develop consistency with the 1's. The good news is I believe we can stop this talk about looking outside of our current roster and adding someone else's backup like Nassib or Glennon. By the way, I am amazed there have been no trade for Matt Barkley threads yet that I have noticed.

ABC. Anyone But Cassel.

Cassel will get us to a 9-7 record as teams will crowd the LOS and our running game will suffer.

EJ can hit deep passes but probably is still not quite ready.

TT can hit a deep ball now and then and threaten a D with his ability to run while also moving the chains with quick passes to our skill players.

TT right now but EJ is close.

I'd like to follow the 49er experience. Start Taylor. Let EJ continue to "mature" and if something happens to Tyrod, insert EJ and let's ride to the playoffs.

I need to see more of Cassel. He was ok in that first preseason game but he's got "game manager" written all over him. We have been down that road numerous times in the past and it has never worked.

Taylor has looked the best so far. I loved that first drive of the game yesterday - ESPN must have been pissed that more than half the quarter went by without a commercial. I worry though that he is too gimmicky and that he will be prone to taking a lot of sacks in critical situations because of his mobility. Will he throw the ball away or take a stupid sack in a critical situation? I haven't gotten a feel for that yet. His size and mobility also make me worry that he'll be injury prone.

EJ is your third string - I haven't seen enough improvement from last season to make me think he's benefited from a change in the coaching staff. I will say though that the scrub o-line was terrible and that he did well given the circumstances. However, I think we know what we're getting here.

I voted "too early to tell" because I want anyone but Cassel.

Both Tyrod and EJ have shown great improvement. I want to see one more game from them. In game 3, put EJ in first and Tyord in 2nd.

Let Cassel watch the game from his couch, for all I care.

I'm starting to believe that EJ's best chance for success in Buffalo is to be the #2 guy and somehow "rescue" the season (by playing well) when the #1 goes out through injury or poor play. This would serve his detractors by allowing their guy to start AND he would, through his solid play, probably turn some around in his favor.

If the other QB succeeds AND can stay on the field, that's a good problem for the Bills to have. But at this point, who still WOULDN'T want EJ as the backup?