EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

IMO safe doesn't get you to the Superbowl. Safe gets you an "Alex Smith" one and done playoff appearance.

I think there's no way Cassel starts the season for the Bills. That sends a very conflicting message to your young team. The message is we are going to play it safe guys, now go out and fight! That just doesn't fit this team or head coach.

Taylor and EJ are both ready. They've both been seasoned plenty enough for the game not to be too big for them. There will be bumps along the road, but those bumps are far better than a season long anchor-like drag of an offense which would eventually wear out your #1 defense.

I agree and disagree. There is a REALLY good chance that Cassel starts. I know that it isn't inspiring but depending on who you ask he is the favorite. It doesn't send that message to a veteran team at all. To me it says "you guys are really good and will win games. Our QB will minimize mistakes and make good decisions. They will not lose games for us."

I agree that Cassel can't win the Super Bowl. It really depends on your perspective. If the BR report is true Rex wants Tyrod & other coaches Cassel. Again, take it with a grain of salt if you want but I'm sure it isn't made up. There is definitely some truth to it. It would be interesting to know which coaches favor Cassel. Either way it's all going to play out and I trust the staff.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and disagree. There is a REALLY good chance that Cassel starts. I know that it isn't inspiring but depending on who you ask he is the favorite. It doesn't send that message to a veteran team at all. To me it says "you guys are really good and will win games. Our QB will minimize mistakes and make good decisions. They will not lose games for us."

I agree that Cassel can't win the Super Bowl. It really depends on your perspective. If the BR report is true Rex wants Tyrod & other coaches Cassel. Again, take it with a grain of salt if you want but I'm sure it isn't made up. There is definitely some truth to it. It would be interesting to know which coaches favor Cassel. Either way it's all going to play out and I trust the staff.

I saw the actual interview with Cole where he says this. It seems to me that it is really premature and they said it before yesterday's game, and as a general idea. What he actually said was the other coaches think that Cassell will likely make less mistakes. Well duh. That is no earth shattering news. They are using the preseason to see if Taylor is not going to be making mistakes and he didn't yesterday which was after these opinions were expressed. Plus we have next week. Going into the preseason games I would have thought that Cassell was a safer bet, too. I don't think this report, right now, is any news and may not even be true anymore, even though Cole was talking about it today.

I saw the actual interview with Cole where he says this. It seems to me that it is really premature and they said it before yesterday's game, and as a general idea. What he actually said was the other coaches think that Cassell will likely make less mistakes. Well duh. That is no earth shattering news. They are using the preseason to see if Taylor is not going to be making mistakes and he didn't yesterday which was after these opinions were expressed. Plus we have next week. Going into the preseason games I would have thought that Cassell was a safer bet, too. I don't think this report, right now, is any news and may not even be true anymore, even though Cole was talking about it today.

Maybe not, I am just trying to prepare people if Cassel does indeed start. It certainly isn't impossible (or even unlikely). I would say that as of today there is AT LEAST a 33% chance that he starts. Tyrod may in fact be the favorite (and my preference) but he isn't a massive favorite.

Run Game for TT (RB carries): 11 rushes for 33 yards = 3.3 YPC Not phenomenal, but not non-existent.

Run Game for EJ (RB carries): 9 rushes for 11 yards = 1.2 YPC. That is non-existent. But thanks for playing.

Per ESPN's play-by-play stats:

Hill had 6 carries for 20 yards (3.33 YPC) in the 1st half

Seale had 6 carries for 10 yards (1.67 YPC) in the 1st half

Goodwin had 1 carry for -9 yards in the 1st half

So overall our 1st half rushing minus Tyrod was 13 carries for 21 yards (1.62 YPC), or 12 carries for 30 yards (2.5 YPC) if you want to excuse Goodwin

2nd Half

Connor had 1 carry for 2 yards

Hill had 2 carries for 5 yards

Wood had 3 carries for 6 yards

Thigpen had 2 carries for -1 yard

Seale had 1 carry for 0 yards

Overall 9 carries for 12 yards (1.33 YPC)

Per ESPN's play-by-play stats:

Hill had 6 carries for 20 yards (3.33 YPC) in the 1st half

Seale had 6 carries for 10 yards (1.67 YPC) in the 1st half

Goodwin had 1 carry for -9 yards in the 1st half

So overall our 1st half rushing minus Tyrod was 13 carries for 21 yards (1.62 YPC), or 12 carries for 30 yards (2.5 YPC) if you want to excuse Goodwin

2nd Half

Connor had 1 carry for 2 yards

Hill had 2 carries for 5 yards

Wood had 3 carries for 6 yards

Thigpen had 2 carries for -1 yard

Seale had 1 carry for 0 yards

Overall 9 carries for 12 yards (1.33 YPC)

No run game period yesterday.

EJ has definitely improved. He's not going to start, but he's shown enough that Rex will keep him, unless Whaley gets a crazy offer for him.

It's funny to read comments by those who feel that EJ showed what he is under Doug Marrone then completely ignore or discount what EJ has shown this year under Roman. Talk about judging with your eyes closed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

EJ has definitely improved. He's not going to start, but he's shown enough that Rex will keep him, unless Whaley gets a crazy offer for him.

It's funny to read comments by those who feel that EJ showed what he is under Doug Marrone then completely ignore or discount what EJ has shown this year under Roman. Talk about judging with your eyes closed.

That applies to all 3 QBs. I don't know about the rest of you but all of them have been better than I expected so far.

I'm one of the most passionate EJ haters and have been from the day we went nuts and traded up to draft him in round 1. Even I will admit it's possible he could be a better #2 than Cassel.

You do know that the Bills traded down to get him and got Kiko in the bargain?

I definitely like what I have seen out of EJ. I seriously feel like the coach speak about how the quarterbacks bascially stink is partly a motivational ploy.

At this point, I think Tyrod should be the starter to open the season. Based on his playing style and body type, it is likely he will experience some injury. At that point, give EJ his chance to come in and earn the job. I think the entire team would be strongly behind Tyrod to start the season but they would be quick to rally around EJ once his opportunity presents itself.

In the above scenario, obviously, the best case would be for Tyrod to never get injured and secure the QB job. However, I would consider this unlikely and EJ would be able to get his shot with the whole team behind him.

If EJ is given the job up front, it will be perceived by the team that he is getting the job because of where he was drafted. Doing things how I outlined above works around all of this.