EJ deserves time on the field with first team offense.

gsurdam

I do think EJ should get some time with the first team. The blocking with him in this past game was terrible. Right now I think it will most likley be Tyrod in a Russell Wilson type role (Manage the game make some plays with his legs and down the stretch) while EJ and Cassell are the backups. I do think that the team needs a legit look at EJ to see if he is a better option than Cassell.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EJ haters really baffle me. I haven't seen any practice video but if you break down all 22 of his preseason throws, there are maybe only 2-3 bad passes. He repeatedly hits his spot and the ball comes out with zip on a line. He has a big league arm and he's making the big league throws. He's making Thompson and Gragg look like stars. All behind a joke of an O line.

This isn't the same EJ we saw last year. EJ haters must not believe preseason games are as important as footage from one year old games. I just don't get you guys.

I'm not saying he should be anointed the starter but I am saying he needs reps with the 1s and if he does well it needs to be a hard decision on who starts.

I agree re the adversity. This QB competition seems to be the best thing for him.

He seems to have a differernt spark; and he was slinging it, instead of his old aiming.

I am not sure he wins; but I would like to see him with the starters.

That was a noticeable difference. Except for the crappy pass he made that Connor dropped, he was firing the ball pretty hard. Connor dropped one although it was a pass that should have been a lot better. I think Lewis dropped that one over the middle. Palmer dropped one in the endzone. He threw it well.

That was a noticeable difference. Except for the crappy pass he made that Connor dropped, he was firing the ball pretty hard. Connor dropped one although it was a pass that should have been a lot better. I think Lewis dropped that one over the middle. Palmer dropped one in the endzone. He threw it well.

The Connor one was the old EJ, for sure. He just babies those dump offs. But agreed-- his other throws were great. I almost feel like being harried in the pocket helps him sling it.

The EJ haters really baffle me. I haven't seen any practice video but if you break down all 22 of his preseason throws, there are maybe

only 2-3 bad passes. He repeatedly hits his spot and the ball comes out with zip on a line. He has a big league arm and he's making the big league throws. He's making Thompson and Gragg look like stars. All behind a joke of an O line.

This isn't the same EJ we saw last year. EJ haters must not believe preseason games are as important as footage from one year old games. I just don't get you guys.

I'm not saying he should be anointed the starter but I am saying he needs reps with the 1s and if he does well it needs to be a hard decision on who starts.

This^

With the game and his Bills career on the line. IMO that was my biggest takeaway from this game. EJ deserves the next preseason game start based how he finished this game.

Taylor looked pretty good, but EJ looked like what an NFL winning starting QB looks like. I don't care what the haters say, this has officially become a great and competitive QB competition.

Yes, true, all on the line, and Manuel came through.

No longer is he in the 'vicinity' with his throws, no longer do players have to stop and come back to get the ball, but he hit his receivers in stride, with the ball almost always in excellent position. What can he do with the starters in there? (The Bills starters and the others team's as well. ) We need to see.

Start him next week, let him have a half and see how he does. He has outplayed Taylor and Cassel in 'actual' games, so give him a shot.

He is a very different quarterback now, yes still developing, but he looks like he is ready to take the next step and become a solid NFL starter.

He looked good consistently tonight, doing things he only did well sporadically in the past.

EJ deserves more time with the first unit

He has stayed the course, was here first, has commitment to the team, has worked hard, Cassell is temporary, backup.

TT is good, EJ is good.

Start RJ the next couple of games. These injuries are killing us, we need 3 QBs.

Rex, the wonder boy, is doing EJ a great disservice, if he doesn't have the chance to be the NO 1 QB.

I'm a Bills fan first, and a players fan second.

While I like EJ, I want the QB who gives the team the best chance to win a game. I can't say EJ has had the best circumstances to prove this worth the past two pre season games, I also cannot comment on the work in practice. This coaching staff has no preconceived notions and they want to win games, and that is enough for me. Whoever lines up week 1 behind center has my support.

Edited by Screwball

Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If the Bills played EJ all day and Cleveland played Manziel all day, which team would have ended up with the most points at the end of the game?

If you honestly think the Bills would have won then I get your point. I don't see how anyone could think that. I am confident that the Bills would have lost that game by more than 7.

So are we leaving in the defenses all game, too, because if we are, Manziel is in the endzone on his back playing dead again. No way the success he had vs. our 3s takes place against our 1s.

Even with the current rosters playing tonight -- the Bills missing 5 backs and 3 receivers -- I'd take EJ and the Bills 1s all game against Manziel and the Browns 1s all game.

It wouldn't even be close.

I think EJ has progressed. I did not want him to be handed the starting job, but instead prove that he can battle in a competition and win the job.

There is something about EJ that I can't quite explain. He's not clutch per se, but he looks calm and handles big moments and high pressure well considering his lack of experience. I truly feel that given an opportunity to have a career EJ Manuel would develop into a clutch starting QB and someone you can depend on to convert game winning drives.

He has a shocking amount of detractors and he really has risen to the occasion. If he doesn't get another snap with the first team as a Buffalo Bill I'll be disappointed in the organization.

They took too long to quit on Losman and Edwards, but I think they are quitting too soon on EJ Manuel. There's definitely an art to grooming a franchise QB and for whatever reason the Bills since Kelly have gotten it dreadfully wrong each time.

I think EJ has progressed. I did not want him to be handed the starting job, but instead prove that he can battle in a competition and win the job.

There is something about EJ that I can't quite explain. He's not clutch per se, but he looks calm and handles big moments and high pressure well considering his lack of experience. I truly feel that given an opportunity to have a career EJ Manuel would develop into a clutch starting QB and someone you can depend on to convert game winning drives.

He has a shocking amount of detractors and he really has risen to the occasion. If he doesn't get another snap with the first team as a Buffalo Bill I'll be disappointed in the organization.

They took too long to quit on Losman and Edwards, but I think they are quitting too soon on EJ Manuel. There's definitely an art to grooming a franchise QB and for whatever reason the Bills since Kelly have gotten it dreadfully wrong each time.

He's still on the roster, they aren't quitting on him. This competition is the best thing to happen to him.

EJ had the misfortune of being drafted by the Bills and having college coaches teaching him, the worst guard play in the NFL, and the worst playcalling in the NFL. He then got yanked after the Houston game where JJ Watt was hitting him before he could finish his dropback.

Pretty amazing the range of opinions on TT and EJ. Pretty much both ends of the spectrum on each. Crazy.

I have to say, I have no idea myself who the better QB is right now. I'd like to see EJ with the 1s, but I think both can do well with more reps. I don't think either is quite ready yet, but both have some good qualities and some bad qualities. Tough call.

Pretty amazing the range of opinions on TT and EJ. Pretty much both ends of the spectrum on each. Crazy.

I have to say, I have no idea myself who the better QB is right now. I'd like to see EJ with the 1s, but I think both can do well with more reps. I don't think either is quite ready yet, but both have some good qualities and some bad qualities. Tough call.

Yup. Maybe the real question is are the Bills in as bad and as dire situation at QB as we thought going into training camp and preseason and I think the answer is no. I think we can win with TT or even Cassel. Not sure if EJ is ready yet. Don't think so but he's better. He threw a lot of good passes tonight.

Fair enough. But let me ask you this. If the Bills played EJ all day and Cleveland played Manziel all day, which team would have ended up with the most points at the end of the game?

If you honestly think the Bills would have won then I get your point. I don't see how anyone could think that. I am confident that the Bills would have lost that game by more than 7.

LMAO! Lose even if we had our starting D the WHOLE game?! Not likely. That Browns O is positively horrid. They couldn't score more than 7 points with Johnny Football in the second half against scrubs.

The EJ haters really baffle me. I haven't seen any practice video but if you break down all 22 of his preseason throws, there are maybe only 2-3 bad passes. He repeatedly hits his spot and the ball comes out with zip on a line. He has a big league arm and he's making the big league throws. He's making Thompson and Gragg look like stars. All behind a joke of an O line.

Where are the floaters and absolute duds he's been throwing supposedly in TC? This is what the media has been writing all summer long. Manuel hasn't done this in either game he's played in so far. I don't understand. Having said that, Taylor brings a dynamic you can't coach or teach. May the best man win and may he lead us deep into the playoffs!