Every county in America, ranked by scenery and climate

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erie County, PA 1860

Beaver County, PA 988. I'm surprised it's that low. Everybody likes to look at a nice...

Where are you finding the numbers? The big map on my phone isn't showing anything.

Illinois has to be #1 or #2... We have "dancing carp!" How pretty is that! ;-P

And Red Lake, MN is the only landlocked county surrounded by only two other counties. ??? Is that possible... I gotta take a look @ that crazy map. The other two must totally surround Red Lake. Keep the crazies in? He he...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It seems to have completely made 'cold' the worst factor of all time and terrible for everyone... no way that erie, niagara county and much of the Adirondacks are worse to live naturally than almost every square inch of Texas, oklahoma, kansas, etc just because we have winter.

We also don't have major droughts, weeks during the summer that outside is dangerous, tornados, hurricanes, bugs and reptiles that can and want to kill you, etc...

Niagara county has a natural wonder of the world, wine country, freshwater river, whitewater, and a freshwater great lake.

Not that I would expect wny to be terribly high on the list that includes climate... it just seems whatever rationale they used just sweeps west to east and cold too hot. Too neat where it should be more of a checkerboard.

The bottom of Florida ranked very high... my god I would not want to live there.

I noticed the same thing. It's pretty much a 'places where it's warm and near a coast' list. Most of the Adirondacks has low natural amenities?? Coulda fooled me.

I live in the foothills, and it's great. What's all the nightmarish stuff that I'm apparently missing?

I lived in Altadena for years and it wasn't all that special. Being the second or third white family in an all black neighborhood wasn't that much fun. Although having said that the foothills are beautiful. I'm sure it has changed since the 80's but back then,,,? Not so much. My next door neighbor was an ex bank robber who had his legs shot off in a police shoot out and was a crack dealer. But I still enjoyed every conversation I had with him. A very poetic man given all his challenges. I loved East LA actually, my wife taught school there and I loved the Mexican culture and still do.

It seems to have completely made 'cold' the worst factor of all time and terrible for everyone... no way that erie, niagara county and much of the Adirondacks are worse to live naturally than almost every square inch of Texas, oklahoma, kansas, etc just because we have winter.

We also don't have major droughts, weeks during the summer that outside is dangerous, tornados, hurricanes, bugs and reptiles that can and want to kill you, etc...

Niagara county has a natural wonder of the world, wine country, freshwater river, whitewater, and a freshwater great lake.

Not that I would expect wny to be terribly high on the list that includes climate... it just seems whatever rationale they used just sweeps west to east and cold too hot. Too neat where it should be more of a checkerboard.

The bottom of Florida ranked very high... my god I would not want to live there.

BINGO!

Wipe the invention of a/c away and most of those places are a steaming cesspool. How the heck does DC rank highly... Hot humid swamp. I don't expect Illinois to rank high, it's a damn flat hell hole here. I noticed on the map tis parts ranks better than WNY for summer humidity... That's impossible. The summers are brutal and the winters colder!

Death Valley better than New England? Maybe they factored in the people?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I lived in Altadena for years and it wasn't all that special. Being the second or third white family in an all black neighborhood wasn't that much fun. Although having said that the foothills are beautiful. I'm sure it has changed since the 80's but back then,,,? Not so much. My next door neighbor was an ex bank robber who had his legs shot off in a police shoot out and was a crack dealer. But I still enjoyed every conversation I had with him. A very poetic man given all his challenges. I loved East LA actually, my wife taught school there and I loved the Mexican culture and still do.

Ah. Well, I've never lived in Altadena, though I have friends there. There are some real nice pockets.. .and some less so. A lot has changed since the 80's in the foothill communities. (I'm not in Pasadena anymore either, but still close enough that I didn't bother to change my handle.) Personally, I love being 5 minutes from hiking in the mountains, 45 minutes from the beach, an hour from skiing. My commute is an 11 mile motorcycle drive over a scenic mountain pass. San Diego is also great, and only a couple hours drive. We just went down there last Saturday and hung out with friends. Ever been to Asti's in the Gaslamp? The kids liked the food, which is always a plus!

Orange county is 10th. LA is higher? Yeah, okay.

Yeah when I saw that I knew it was bogus. But then again they do have Malibu and all the West Side beaches and Palos Verdes.

There is no question why; the raters live there and you want to baste in their glory.

No because it beats the snot out of places like WNY.

Enjoy this list, California.

I'll just hang out up here in the northeast, where there is enough water to sustain life.

And enough snow to snuff it out.