Rex Ryan says they will probably keep 3 QBs on the roster

Fingon

Easy VanCity- no need to jump into attack mode. I think there would be a difference. I'm not at all justifying IK's actions. I am saying there would be a difference. It seems as if IK was signed based upon the Bills needs at the position, his history with Rex, and his ability. I think if (and it's an if) the Bills release EJ, the Pats would seek to pick him up, solely to gain an advantage over an opponent by pick up a player and picking his brain. If they pick him up it would be solely for that purpose. There is no need at the position, no history with the player.

No need to go into attack mode, just my 2 cents.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy VanCity- no need to jump into attack mode. I think there would be a difference. I'm not at all justifying IK's actions. I am saying there would be a difference. It seems as if IK was signed based upon the Bills needs at the position, his history with Rex, and his ability. I think if (and it's an if) the Bills release EJ, the Pats would seek to pick him up, solely to gain an advantage over an opponent by pick up a player and picking his brain. If they pick him up it would be solely for that purpose. There is no need at the position, no history with the player.

No need to go into attack mode, just my 2 cents.

The Pats currently have ex-Cardinal QB Ryan Lindley on their roster. EJ sure as hell is a better QB than he is.

It appears Rex is attempting to build up EJs value so they can trade him, for more than a box lunch.

Imo

That'd represent one heckuva turn of events. From January HC interviews when Whaley talked up developing Manuel to now, the team trying to cut losses on a 1st round pick 2 years ago.

I don't think this is a smokescreen.

What would be wrong with having an exciting starter with playmaking ability (Taylor), a veteran backup (Cassel), and a developmental QB (Manuel)? I understand EJ's pedigree as a 1st round pick, but the truth is that he is better right now than he was at this point in 2013 or 2014. He IS coming along, albeit slowly. In the meantime, Whaley has done his job and improved the position.

I believe Taylor should start, but I don't understand the rush to judgment around this kid when it isn't necessary. Why do we have to "close the book" on EJ? He is 25, the money is controlled, he made the best throw of the night last week, he keeps his mouth shut, both the QBs in front of him are in danger of getting hurt, and I'm not ready to give up on him. I know that Rex isn't emotionally invested in him and Whaley might like to connect the pick to Buddy, but I don't think that means they need to show him the door.

Ultimately, the Bills are in an interesting situation, where they might have three of the top 45 QBs in the league right now, but none of the top 20 or 25.

exactly.

Listen to the Flipster.

I can't imagine us going into the season not having 3 QBs on the roster. If they cut EJ and started Taylor, it is very likely at some point TT would get dinged up, especially given his style. That could very quickly put us down to just Cassel as a healthy QB with no one we can count on behind him. Simms, or some hastily hired FA QB scares the crap out of me, much much worse than EJ.

Keeping EJ is good insurance, and might yield significant value if he continues to develop.

So much truth.

I second this.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

What would be wrong with having an exciting starter with playmaking ability (Taylor), a veteran backup (Cassel), and a developmental QB (Manuel)? I understand EJ's pedigree as a 1st round pick, but the truth is that he is better right now than he was at this point in 2013 or 2014. He IS coming along, albeit slowly. In the meantime, Whaley has done his job and improved the position.

I believe Taylor should start, but I don't understand the rush to judgment around this kid when it isn't necessary. Why do we have to "close the book" on EJ? He is 25, the money is controlled, he made the best throw of the night last week, he keeps his mouth shut, both the QBs in front of him are in danger of getting hurt, and I'm not ready to give up on him. I know that Rex isn't emotionally invested in him and Whaley might like to connect the pick to Buddy, but I don't think that means they need to show him the door.

Ultimately, the Bills are in an interesting situation, where they might have three of the top 45 QBs in the league right now, but none of the top 20 or 25.

+1 Perfectly said and exactly how I feel. Glad to hear Rex is thinking this way too.

No brainer to keep all three!! Cassel I believe is on a one year deal so possibly not back next year. If Taylor is the guy EJ is a good backup because he could be a running QB as well, so if Taylor goes down they dont need a different offence for the back up. Lastly the cap money is spent, and as a back up EJ is fine.

Very well said

And we know that Manuel can win some games if need be. He is coming along, not ready yet, but has the tools, so still possible.

Who can the Bills get as a better insurance policy now? If they were without EJ, he may just the kind of player they would be looking at to bring in to the fold.

Very unlikely that the starter remains healthy enough to play every game this year, so illogical to cut a decent and improving quarterback who will cost nothing.

Keep him, see how he progresses, and go from there..

At this point I would have a concern about letting EJ go. I could see the Pats picking him up to pick his brain for week 2. It would be just another classless move by a classless organization.

Good. Guaranteed win in that case!!!

Don't let Leroi read this!!

Pragmatic approach to the situation. If you are able to bring EJ along and surpass the need for Cassell you trade him or cut him.

I think Cassel will start. TT come on in special situations? If E.J. was actually showing any development, we wouldn't be here right now. The issue is he isn't...

Not really. If Tyrod wins the starting gig, EJ is backup and Cassel #3. Why? Tyrod and EJ very similar in style so a transition would be easier on Roman and the whole O.

Listened to schlock and bullFrog refute this yesterday, but I'd be a whole lot more likely to worry about read option from EJ than Cassell.

No brainer to keep all three!! Cassel I believe is on a one year deal so possibly not back next year. If Taylor is the guy EJ is a good backup because he could be a running QB as well, so if Taylor goes down they dont need a different offence for the back up. Lastly the cap money is spent, and as a back up EJ is fine.

Taylor also on a one year contract.