Rex Ryan says they will probably keep 3 QBs on the roster

Fingon

Do you mean like picking up the LB/ DE that broke an opposing teams qb's jaw? Yeah, totally classless....

I think they hold onto him because Lee and Roman want to see what they can do with him given a year to work with him and because he has a great attitude that positively impacts the team. Just my two cents.[/quote

I said just that this morning to my dad. I don't know abit you but i saw a different EJ on Friday and i am encouraged that he can get better. Given proper direction

Extremely valid point. I'd have to believe that they'd control that internally, but with this group I'd have to say that having a back-up plan is a necessity.

I dont see them with a competition. I see Cassel or Taylor clear 1&2 either or... and barring injuries it will stay the same. Ryan rode with Geno good bad ugly for longer than he should have. Give ej the reps with no real game prep. Learn and take your spot next year

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point I would have a concern about letting EJ go. I could see the Pats picking him up to pick his brain for week 2. It would be just another classless move by a classless organization.

Otherwise we would kick their butts, if we don't cut EJ, we win big.

At this point I would have a concern about letting EJ go. I could see the Pats picking him up to pick his brain for week 2. It would be just another classless move by a classless organization.

What would EJ tell them?

Taylor also on a one year contract.

He has a three year contract. The last year is voidable based on playing time in 2015 and 2016. Basically, they have him two years if he pans out and they will need to negotiate a new deal before the end of year 2 to guarantee keeping him.

I think they hold on to Manuel because all his money is guaranteed anyway, TT as a running QB has a higher than normal chance of getting hurt, and maybe, just maybe, a team will get hit with injuries and offer something in trade for him.

Code Monkey not crazy, just proud

Add in Cassel being old, coming off broken foot, and potentially being more injury prone/slower to heal due to age.

too many QB threads ....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000511133/article/afc-preseason-player-grades-week-1-marcus-mariota-uneven

Why Bucky only mentions one Bills QB???

Weaknesses: Taylor was electric executing movement-based concepts (bootlegs), but he missed a few deep shots down the field against the Panthers on Friday. Those failed connections are worrisome for an offense that should see a lot of one-on-one coverage on the outside, due to the attention running back LeSean McCoy commands in the backfield.

Three years -- they just signed him this offseason.

Linky

He has a three year contract. The last year is voidable based on playing time in 2015 and 2016. Basically, they have him two years if he pans out and they will need to negotiate a new deal before the end of year 2 to guarantee keeping him.

MDFan is correct - if Taylor plays 50% of the snaps this year or next, the last year is voided. Realistically, if Taylor starts the whole year this year, he'll be given a new contract. Having him under contract for 2016 would give the team some leverage in negotiations at that point, though.

The other way the 2017 year can void, according to Spotrac, is if Taylor is "on active roster 5 days after 2016 [super Bowl]". Anyone know for sure what that means? I.e., does that mean it only voids if we've made the Super Bowl, or (more likely IMO) does it mean that if he's still on the team at that point, 2017 voids? In the latter case, Taylor's deal is 100% a 2-year deal, because the only way to keep the 2017 year from voiding is to terminate the contract before then. This isn't unheard of; I remember Nate Clements' famous "8 year, $80 million" contract was really a 7 year, $64 million contract, with the 8th year guaranteed to void no matter what happened.

I think EJ has actually improved this camp. He's still not a starter but why dump him if you don't have to? Let him keep working on it. It seems like people want to punish him for sucking, like EJ does it just to piss them off.

he does!! EJ loves to flaunt his improvements in the naysayers faces!!!

Is it Thursday night yet?

I think EJ has actually improved this camp. He's still not a starter but why dump him if you don't have to? Let him keep working on it. It seems like people want to punish him for sucking, like EJ does it just to piss them off.

Right...

EJ's 25 years old...He's 6-5...And he clearly has the best arm of all three QB's...He has had some success in the NFL despite starting his career with a rookie HC and OC in a run first offense that could not run the ball...I think he has improved in this camp...And considering how hard it is to find QB's, and how he's relatively inexperienced at this point...especially in this offense...Why cut him?

I think the comparisons to Tannehill, and how he was developed are so valid...

Tannehill's first 16 games...282/484 (58.3%)...12 TD's/13 INT's...211 yds rushing with 3 rushing TD's...Sacked 35 times

EJ's first 14 games...256/437 (58.6%)...16 TD's/12 INT's...238 rushing yard with 3 rushing TD's...Sacked 34 times...

Can it get any more even than that? Of course the difference comes in how they were handled...The fish stuck with Tannehill, let him learn, and now he's coming off a pretty nice season with a 92.8 QB rating completing 66.4% of his passes...27 TD's to only 12 INT's...Plus he added 311 yards rushing...EJ was benched after 4 games in his sophomore year by a couple college coaches...Big difference right?

I just don't see the logic in cutting EJ...It would literally make no sense to me assuming he continues to improve...And the reports I heard from just yesterdays practice alone seem to indicate he's slowly getting better... B-)

Right...

EJ's 25 years old...He's 6-5...And he clearly has the best arm of all three QB's...He has had some success in the NFL despite starting his career with a rookie HC and OC in a run first offense that could not run the ball...I think he has improved in this camp...And considering how hard it is to find QB's, and how he's relatively inexperienced at this point...especially in this offense...Why cut him?

Tannehill's first 16 games...282/484 (58.3%)...12 TD's/13 INT's...211 yds rushing with 3 rushing TD's...Sacked 35 times

EJ's first 14 games...256/437 (58.6%)...16 TD's/12 INT's...238 rushing yard with 3 rushing TD's...Sacked 34 times...

Can it get any more even than that? Of course the difference comes in how they were handled...The fish stuck with Tannehill, let him learn, and now he's coming off a pretty nice season with a 92.8 QB rating completing 66.4% of his passes...27 TD's to only 12 INT's...Plus he added 311 yards rushing...EJ was benched after 4 games in his sophomore year by a couple college coaches...Big difference right?

I just don't see the logic in cutting EJ...It would literally make no sense to me assuming he continues to improve...And the reports I heard from just yesterdays practice alone seem to indicate he's slowly getting better... B-)

But there's no story in that, so it's not news.

People don't click on puppies and kittens like they click on pics of torture and death.

All the good reporters know this.

Right...

Plus, Tannehill had his college head coach as his OC his rookie year who happened to have been a head coach with a future HOF QB as his QB. Manuel has Doug Marrone.

Plus, Tannehill had his college head coach as his OC his rookie year who happened to have been a head coach with a future HOF QB as his QB. Manuel has Doug Marrone.

I really believe if you give Roman a full year with EJ...with the talent around him now...He could develop into a Top 10-12 QB in this league...And that will be plenty good enough to win and compete with this roster... B-)