Rapid Reaction - 10 Observations about Tonight's Game

Not sure where you're getting this assessment given the game Brown had last night. 52 yds on 6 carries plus a TD doesn't exactly mean his career in Buffalo is in jeopardy when that adds up to an 8.7 YPC. Let's see what happens the next 3 games

Agreed. Brown's a home run hitter. On the off-chance that McCoy get's injured (knock on wood) we'll want to have Brown ready to go.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Boobie a lot as a player and STer and teammate and guy. But I think we have a boatload of good ST guys now and he's not needed nearly as much. Plus Karlos has already shown to be a tough to tackle hard runner, and we also have Felton now. I think I would keep Bryce Brown over Boobie.

I cannot for the life of me come up with a reason to keep Hogan, as I stated before- being open is great if you can catch the ball... I don't care how fast you are moving in any direction, if a football hits you from the waist to the shoulder pads- a WR in the NFL has to catch it!!! I've seen him drop too many passes!! I like Easley especially for special teams, but I'm sure there is enough roster talent to fill his void

I agree . Hogan looks sad. So do our TE`s catching ability.

BTW who is this Deonte Thompson guy? Not.only did he haul in a nice catch on the long TD, but I noticed him working hard and getting separation on other plays too. Looks like a gamer, hope hw doesn't get lost on this roster.

Think I heard John Murphy say we got him from the Ravens

My bad.... Clay didn't even have that many targets did he? I just recall that one catch for a 1st down...

So many weapons. I also think the run game was better because their were BETTER RBS in the game ,than the past few years. Sorry but true,in my mind at least. Faster,stronger,younger. It`s time for a new over haul.

I like Boobie a lot as a player and STer and teammate and guy. But I think we have a boatload of good ST guys now and he's not needed nearly as much. Plus Karlos has already shown to be a tough to tackle hard runner, and we also have Felton now. I think I would keep Bryce Brown over Boobie.

And saves cap, and if he walks next year, counts in next years expiring contracts. Theres some logical reasons to consider the move.

I cannot for the life of me come up with a reason to keep Hogan, as I stated before- being open is great if you can catch the ball... I don't care how fast you are moving in any direction, if a football hits you from the waist to the shoulder pads- a WR in the NFL has to catch it!!! I've seen him drop too many passes!! I like Easley especially for special teams, but I'm sure there is enough roster talent to fill his void

Plus Easley just got a new contract with signing bonus. It'd be weird to make a move like that.

What I liked the most about this game was that OC Greg Roman was able to adapt to each QB's strengths with the play calls and formations, making it look effortless. The difference between Cassel and Taylor with the offensive approach was subtle, but you could tell they wanted to give Taylor the opportunity to show his skill set. Rather than, "Hey this is how our scheme is you adapt to IT" it was "Were going to alter our scheme slightly to highlight your abilities". That to me was the most positive sign:

A COMPETENT OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!

thoughts?

I didn't realize how short Darby is. He needs too play bigger. On the TD he got a face full of Benjamin's jock strap. But he always seemed to be in good position.

Bryce Brown is always a threat to fumble. Something about the way he carries the ball makes me nervous and if a boot like me can see it then the coaches must too.

Manuel has a cannon arm but sometimes all you need is a .22. A short charge on a cannon round isn't very accurate.

Yeah him and McCoy hold it the same... one is a star. One is not

I agree. Whaley said his phone is always open, and I imagine he is trying to work a deal(offering WR, RB, and QB).

My guess is we keep McCoy, Fred, Bryce, and Karlos. We keep Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Easley, Goodwin and Deonte Thompson. And we keep 3 TEs- Clay, Mulligan, +1).

BTW who is this Deonte Thompson guy? Not.only did he haul in a nice catch on the long TD, but I noticed him working hard and getting separation on other plays too. Looks like a gamer, hope hw doesn't get lost on this roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/08/bills-sign-deonte-thompson-off-ravens-practice-squad/#comments

check out the comments. Many ravens fans were sad to see him go

When I was going through Tyrod's preseason games with the Ravens, he showed up pretty well (mainly as a return man). There's certainly something there worth getting a deeper look at with him.

There's a couple of spots that are potentially up for grabs but someone will have to earn them away from Goodwin/Hogan.

I agree. Whaley said his phone is always open, and I imagine he is trying to work a deal(offering WR, RB, and QB).

My guess is we keep McCoy, Fred, Bryce, and Karlos. We keep Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Easley, Goodwin and Deonte Thompson. And we keep 3 TEs- Clay, Mulligan, +1).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/08/bills-sign-deonte-thompson-off-ravens-practice-squad/#comments

check out the comments. Many ravens fans were sad to see him go

like this one, even the Ravens' fans knew how bad our previous OC was:

corkspop says:

Dec 8, 2014 12:43 PM

Even more speed now at the WR position. When will the Bills find the O-Coordinator that has a clue what to do with it???

When I was going through Tyrod's preseason games with the Ravens, he showed up pretty well (mainly as a return man). There's certainly something there worth getting a deeper look at with him.

There's a couple of spots that are potentially up for grabs but someone will have to earn them away from Goodwin/Hogan.

without knowing anything else, I'd cut Hogan and keep Thompson. Sounds like he's a good KR too.

And I know pro days can be a little suspicious, but if his 40 time is to be believed he's very fast and 2nd only to Goodwin on this team:

2012 Florida's Pro Day 40-yd dash 4.31

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deonte_Thompson

Edited by JTSP

without knowing anything else, I'd cut Hogan and keep Thompson. Sounds like he's a good KR too.

And I know pro days can be a little suspicious, but if his 40 time is to be believed he's very fast and 2nd only to Goodwin on this team:

2012 Florida's Pro Day 40-yd dash 4.31

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deonte_Thompson

There's reports of times as fast as 4.23 out there as well. No doubt he's quick, the need to quantify exactly how quick is almost a moot point.

I'd be tempted to say that he's battling Goodwin more than Hogan because of the stylistic similarities between them. I went into TC thinking Hogan was a lock for the backup slot & ST role and I still think that's the case unless there's a dramatic swing in the next 2/3 games.

ChevyVanMiller thanks for the observations and getting things started. I was encouraged by the OLine and noticed Miller did well but did not grade anybody else out. It seemed to me Kujo looked very good which was a nice surprise and everyone that played in the first have looked solid if unspectacular. When you have a QB running around like that it makes everyone look good.I also was surprised by McCoy. He looked like a Spiller that knew how to play the position (not just capable of a spectacular play every once in awhile). And Williams looks like a great RB.Most encouraging of all is that the coaching staff looked great! Finally a real staff?I see the officials still blow. How do you review the TD and not determine that the Panthers QB is not over the line of scrimmage when he throws the ball? Was that a just give it to them because it's preseason call? Why bother reviewing TDs if you can't fix that? I hope we aren't in for another year of this garbage - someone needs to tell Rex he needs to win by two TDs every game to make sure he still gets a win with the calls the officials make during Bills games.

Remember, it's preseason for the refs, too. Hopefully, not a harbinger of things to come.

the announcers were saying it was Urbik at center, it appears they were wrong.

Just clarifying that the center was in fact Alex Kupper (third string) not Urbik - I noticed a few people mention this. Urbik looked good to me and should be a very capable backup Center this year. I agree about EJ - but also want to add that I was REALLY impressed by Frank Miller at G. He was at RG all first half and into third quarter with EJ (Kuojo was RT in 2-3 quarter). Anyways - almost every major run was either behind him or he pulled to clear a path. Great night from the rookie IMO.