Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

I think you missed the entire Orton era/Marrone defending. It was a sizable chunk of my posting history. I was wrong and the Bills had a winning season and it was great.

Even still, posting some clear jokes like "Metz is going in" or "Eeeeeeeeeeeeej" is me more excited than a 0 seconds left win against the Vikes last year, Bandit? No chance.

If eager that dissing EJ has been as sizable a chunk of your posting history. But that's not really what gets me. It's the actual desire to see the kid do poorly. To me, that's ridiculous.

But whatever floats your boat. I'm done trying to figure it out.

Personally, as long as the QB isn't a terrible human being, I don't care who it is provided that they win.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way folks talk confuses me. EJ has practice squad eligibility, doesn't he? Why can't he be the #3?

Practice squad? Are you joking? You don't think someone will pick up a young former 1st round QB if the Bills waive him?

IMO, Cassel is the starter and the only battle was for backup between TT and EJ and it appears TT is ahead.

I think Rex wants TT as the starter with Cassel as the fall back, so I suspect that's the way they'll go into week one. Personally, I'd like to see EJ as the starter with TT getting about 1/4 of the snaps but the coaches just don't seem to think that EJ can do it. They also seem to think that TT can survive the season as a full time starter with all the running he does. He's not as bigs Kaep so we'll see. I still think we'll see all three QBs before the season is over.

Edited by vincec

He did not have the best pre season game because the coaching staff doesn't feel that way.! Further, this view is not shared by a great many who watched the game in an unbiased manner. You can say it, but that is your opinion, not fact.

I too feel that EJ played pretty doggone well. Cassel too played well. They both looked like real NFL QBs. Taylor was fun, but that has ZERO chance of working in a real game when game planned for. TYrod needs to seriously up his game this week. I want to see staying in the pocket and passing this week.

Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick run a lot, but they are also good passers. Tyrod's longest completion traveled about 10 yards in the air. Anything longer was off the mark.

I still suspect Cassel or EJ will start with TYrod coming in for 5 or 6 plays a game.

I too feel that EJ played pretty doggone well. Cassel too played well. They both looked like real NFL QBs. Taylor was fun, but that has ZERO chance of working in a real game when game planned for. TYrod needs to seriously up his game this week. I want to see staying in the pocket and passing this week.

Russel Wilson and Colin Kaepernick run a lot, but they are also good passers. Tyrod's longest completion traveled about 10 yards in the air. Anything longer was off the mark.

I still suspect Cassel or EJ will start with TYrod coming in for 5 or 6 plays a game.

Both his longer passes the WR got two hands on. They weren't off the mark by much if anything. The one in the endzone was perfect, the DB just happened to have good coverage. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Both his longer passes the WR got two hands on. They weren't off the mark by much if anything. The one in the endzone was perfect, the DB just happened to have good coverage.

Agree to disagree.

The one to Goodwin may have been miscommunication. Goodwin maybe should have zagged instead of zigged, but it didn't like a perfect pass nor did it look like Goodwin got both hands on it to me. They never showed a replay. Maybe you're right and he did, not sure. The one in the EZ landed out of bounds. Looked far from "perfect" to me.On the last drive he badly overthrew a long pass.

I'm not dogging him. But I need to see better passing before I climb on the TYrod bandwagon. Or until he gets in a regular season game.

Go Bills !!

Edited by reddogblitz

I think Rex wants TT as the starter with Cassel as the fall back, so I suspect that's the way they'll go into week one. Personally, I'd like to see EJ as the starter with TT getting about 1/4 of the snaps but the coaches just don't seem to think that EJ can do it. They also seem to think that TT can survive the season as a full time starter with all the running he does. He's not as bigs Kaep so we'll see. I still think we'll see all three QBs before the season is over.

This

I will be very interested to see what kind of QB Whaley actually drafts and then allows to develop.

Hey knowing this team, we'll acquire a perfectly capable young QB and ruin him once again, having no way to offer a fair analysis as to what kind of QB they could have been (see: Losman, Edwards, Brohm and now, potentially, Manuel). Any one of those four could have been an all pro QB but alas thanks solely to the Bills organization (and no fault of the QB's themselves), we'll never know. Way to go Bills.

I always see the bolded statement in here. I really don't have a side in this case, but as usual, it's not about being right, it's about certain others always being wrong. If they would just STFU during the off-season instead of slamming everyone who doesn't agree with them, these inevitable threads wouldn't be nearly as long as they are. I don't have to name the certain others, we all know who they are.

Yep.

Hey knowing this team, we'll acquire a perfectly capable young QB and ruin him once again, having no way to offer a fair analysis as to what kind of QB they could have been (see: Losman, Edwards, Brohm and now, potentially, Manuel). Any one of those four could have been an all pro QB but alas thanks solely to the Bills organization (and no fault of the QB's themselves), we'll never know. Way to go Bills.

Losman, Edwards and Brohm were all horrible QBs. Manuel hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know whether or not he's horrible; I think he's getting close to proving that he's never going to be better than "good."

And different regimes were in place when all of these guys came through. So to say that the Bills, or any team, really, has a history of ruining good QBs can't really be done, in my opinion.

I've asked this before: are there any real cap ramifications if Manuel is cut? By "real" I mean will the Bills have to cut someone else or will they be precluded from getting someone else either this year or next. I'm not advocating it by any stretch. It's an honest question.

Edited by dave mcbride

Losman, Edwards and Brohm were all horrible QBs. Manuel hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know whether or not he's horrible; I think he's getting close to proving that he's never going to be better than "good."

And different regimes were in place when all of these guys came through. So to say that the Bills, or any team, really, has a history of ruining good QBs can't really be done, in my opinion.

Ehh I might disagree with you there. While I am obviously still very optimistic as far as Manuel goes, Brohm only got to start two games to Manuel's 14. And he was a big time college player. I'm blaming the Bills on that one. They should have been patient with him and let him start for like three seasons regardless of his performance and/or if there were more capable veterans behind him. Then and only then could anyone possibly even begin to offer a fair analysis on Brohm.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I've asked this before: are there any real cap ramifications if Manuel is cut? By "real" I mean will the Bills have to cut someone else or will they be precluded from getting someone else either this year or next. I'm not advocating it by any stretch. It's an honest question.

Well sure. They are fairly tight against the cap if they still want to re-sign a player before the season like Dareus or Bradham. We are somewhat safely under the cap without that, at 8.4m but if they cut him they pay his signing bonus cap hit of 2.4 and his two years guaranteed salary at 2.8 which is 3m more than we are paying him now. It would hurt this year and help next year at about 3m. We would be able to replace him with a lower level player but no bigger contract for all intents and purposes. Not that there is anyone out there worth 5m+ we would want.

We wouldn't have to cut anyone unless maybe they wanted the money to sign Dareus or Bradham or Glenn

Well sure. They are fairly tight against the cap if they still want to re-sign a player before the season like Dareus or Bradham. We are somewhat safely under the cap without that, at 8.4m but if they cut him they pay his signing bonus cap hit of 2.4 and his two years guaranteed salary at 2.8 which is 3m more than we are paying him now. It would hurt this year and help next year at about 3m. We would be able to replace him with a lower level player but no bigger contract for all intents and purposes. Not that there is anyone out there worth 5m+ we would want. We wouldn't have to cut anyone unless maybe they wanted the money to sign Dareus or Bradham or Glenn

Thanks. I've said this elsewhere, but it really comes down to what they think of Simms and whether they're worried another team will snag him if they PS him.

I very much doubt they think another team would take him. Rex cut him a few times on the Jets and then brought him back.

Cutting any one of the top 3 in order to keep Simms sounds ludicrous to me. Who cares if someone else might want him? He's just a guy. I'm really hoping we keep all 3 of these guys. Cassel and EJ have injury histories. TYrod hast played, so who knows? I don't want to be the Arizona Cardinals this year. They're all good enough to win games for us IMHO.