Bills training camp practice 8/11

How I see it: EJ no doubt is inconsistent.

He still is the most talented qb on the roster.

He may be failing, but I absolutely do not trust the local press corps.

I think some of them have an agenda. Joe B. does.

I've read reports from ordinary folk and from Astro that paint a different picture.

So I am going to wait until actual games to draw significant conclusions.

I certainly think if one is going to make a big deal out of a bad practice Monday for EJ,

but not out of his being the best at the scrimmage, one is being selective.

If one just goes by the most recent results, then I'll just wait a day or two for something to change.

It usually does.

+1

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sticking up for him. He's been inconsistent and it's the one thing that the coaches want. But the idea that because today he didn't get a bunch of reps means he is no longer in the running is ridiculous. It's like what Rex said yesterday to a question about the QBs in the press conference. Someone asked "would it be fair to say that since Matt is spending more time with the ones and will be starting the first preseason game that you are leaning towards him being the starter?" and Rex said, "Sure. It would be fair to say that. It just wouldnt be true."

And then today Rex said after the second preseason game we will start to make a choice.

It could be a herd mentality on the part of the press, and they could be reading more into the reps heading into the first preseason game, but given the near-unanimity of the opinion I tend to believe that they're on to something. The opinions are pretty consistent from the newbies on the beat to the respected NFL scribes who've been covering training camps longer than some of the posters here have been alive. They have zero stake in picking a winner and sticking with that prediction, unlike the posters here.

The one clue I picked up on, is that suddenly the coaches and the reporters have started using the word "consistency" a lot more over the past few days. Coincidence?

It could be a herd mentality on the part of the press, and they could be reading more into the reps heading into the first preseason game, but given the near-unanimity of the opinion I tend to believe that they're on to something. The opinions are pretty consistent from the newbies on the beat to the respected NFL scribes who've been covering training camps longer than some of the posters here have been alive. They have zero stake in picking a winner and sticking with that prediction, unlike the posters here.

The one clue I picked up on, is that suddenly the coaches and the reporters have started using the word "consistency" a lot more over the past few days. Coincidence?

I would advise everyone to listen to today's Roman interview. I think Cassell is going to be the starter myself.

EJ simply isn't consistent enough or adept enough to be an effective full-time starter in this league. Most college fans could see this and had questions, but it seems to me that Buddy was damn sure going to get a QB before he rode into the sunset. As Dennis Green would say, "HE IS WHIO WE THOUGHT HE WAS." A 3rd to 4th rounder and spot starter at best.

EJ simply isn't consistent enough or adept enough to be an effective full-time starter in this league. Most college fans could see this and had questions, but it seems to me that Buddy was damn sure going to get a QB before he rode into the sunset. As Dennis Green would say, "HE IS WHIO WE THOUGHT HE WAS." A 3rd to 4th rounder and spot starter at best.

Neither is Cassel...

"HE IS ALSO WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS."

Saw a blurb about Incognito having an ankle injury? Anything on that?

Gonna be out for the game for sure. Don't think it's serious but they are being careful.

Sorry, he will be out of there is still any doubt with the injury.

Edited by The Wiz

I would advise everyone to listen to today's Roman interview. I think Cassell is going to be the starter myself.

Does who starts the season at QB really matter at this point? What I mean is that whoever starts certainly isn't going to have a lock hold on it. I fully expect Cassel to lose the job at some point because defenses will start suffocating the offense when they know what plays are coming just like they did with Orton.

In the end, I really hope that Rex starts the season with the shaky/big play ability young guy (whichever) rather than the steady/no big play Cassel.

Rex Ryan: "We Were Able To Run The Football" (13:10)

Bills' Head Coach Rex Ryan talks to the media after tuesday's practice on topics such as injury updates, running the football in the scrimmage portion of practice, Jerome Felton and more.

Camp Highlight: Taylor Touchdown to Thompson (0:28)

Watch as Tyrod Taylor Hits wide receiver Deonte Thompson down the left side for a long touchdown.

Camp Highlight: Gray One Handed Catch (0:27)

Watch as tight end MarQueis Gray makes a nice one handed juggling catch on a pass from EJ Manuel.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Just listened to the entire thing. Everybody should chill the eff out. If you don't want to take the fifteen minutes, here's Roman on QBs in a nutshell: every offense needs "winning QB play" to be successful. All three guys have things he really likes, and the offense will start around what the particular QB does well and expand from that.

Just listened to the entire thing. Everybody should chill the eff out. If you don't want to take the fifteen minutes, here's Roman on QBs in a nutshell: every offense needs "winning QB play" to be successful. All three guys have things he really likes, and the offense will start around what the particular QB does well and expand from that.

I had a thought when they released the depth chart. They put the QBs in order of NFL experience. What if the order for the rotation for the first preseason game is just that? Sounds simple and stupid but maybe people are just reading into things way too much.

That's what I got out of it, too, in regards to the Bills' QBs. No specifics on any guy.

There was a lot to read into, if you really want to do that...

That's what I got out of it, too, in regards to the Bills' QBs. No specifics on any guy.

There was a lot to read into, if you really want to do that...

Yep. What I got out of it was that they were going to use about 12 different skill players during the game, in all kinds of formations and all kinds of ways, depending on the opponent and would constantly try to create mismatches so one or two guys were getting single coverage and rely on the QB to make the right decision to get the ball out quickly or just at the right time to the guy who was in the best mismatch. To me, that plays into what Cassell can do more than EJ or TT right now, and if Cassell can just make the right reads and get the ball to the right playmaker in the mismatch, the team as a whole will move the ball and score enough points to win the game.

They have zero stake in picking a winner and sticking with that prediction, unlike the posters here.

Why do reporters have less accountability than internet posters? I know there's not much punishment for making wrong picks but I have to imagine the person who's opinion is being paid for has more at stake than person who's opinion is not paid for.

Yep. What I got out of it was that they were going to use about 12 different skill players during the game, in all kinds of formations and all kinds of ways, depending on the opponent and would constantly try to create mismatches so one or two guys were getting single coverage and rely on the QB to make the right decision to get the ball out quickly or just at the right time to the guy who was in the best mismatch. To me, that plays into what Cassell can do more than EJ or TT right now, and if Cassell can just make the right reads and get the ball to the right playmaker in the mismatch, the team as a whole will move the ball and score enough points to win the game.

Alrighty then..I guess you read between the lines much more than I did.

Why do reporters have less accountability than internet posters? I know there's not much punishment for making wrong picks but I have to imagine the person who's opinion is being paid for has more at stake than person who's opinion is not paid for.

It's not the opinion being paid for. It's the views/clicks.

What accountability are you talking about? The reporters have a job to report on what they see & hear. Internet posters battle to win the internet every day.

So why are people surprised at the reports that Cassel is in the lead?